(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 2,217 posts
  • 272 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by Pinhead1982
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 217 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (3 months ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (3 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#571 3 months ago

I got about 3 pages in...and all I can think is...

You know...screw all of you that want CPR to pick up playfield production for Stern and JJP! Yes, I'm being hyperbolic, but let me explain...

There is no other company that makes reproduction playfields. They're ALREADY slow as dirt, and the changeover to digital has not happened, and many playfields that are needed are still unavailable. You guys only want them to pick it up so you can continue to buy your 10k NIBs, but the rest of us? We're dying for a 700$ playfield to go in our 1400 games. We don't have the money for 10k JJP games. Is someone then supposed to step in to do what they're doing so that people that prefer older games don't get boned in the name of rampant consumerism, or are we just going back to the dark ages where no replacement playfields for old games were available?

Nope. Do not like that suggestion AT ALL.

*Edit* I want to clarify something. I'm not saying CPR is slow as dirt as a disparaging thing, just a statement of fact. The things they do take a lot of time, from planning through production. We wait years in a lot of cases from announcement of one of their projects to production and shipping.

#573 3 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If they are are "slow as dirt" AND care deeply about quality, CPR's culture and business model are highly unlikely to keep up with Stern/JJP.
Highly unlikely to happen, so I don't think you have much to worry about.

Probably not, and it was an absurd suggestion the first time it was made on this thread for those exact reasons...... but then it just..kept...being.......reposted... >_<

#580 3 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

no pooling or chipping.

Maybe, but that looks like a crack to me? Are all GOTG like that?

50980a7c19d4107365410a6716684cd749c7bdfd (resized).png
#588 3 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Can’t tell, looks awfully straight to be a random crack.
13,700 games played though and looks pretty darn respectable to me.
Just shows a good clear coat is possible.

Not sure what you mean...a crack doesn't have to be zigzag.

And yeah, I'm not saying for that many plays that a single crack that size is even an ISSUE, but saying that a GOTG PF doesn't have these issues when the clear is hard enough to just crack, not tear/pool/ripple...it's a different sort of issue. Also possible as was mentioned by Jody, could just be a scratch, which is believable too.

*edit* It could be a hair that got caught under the post too and is lying flat in wax or something. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that!

#621 3 months ago
Quoted from captjoeb:

What would happen if no one bought a NIB game until the problem is fixed?

How would any of us know it's fixed? Take the manuf. word for it? That's worked out SO well up to this point....

#912 3 months ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Really good discussion about the playfield issues on the TWIP Podcast this week with our friends from Poor Man's Pinball Podcast, starts a little under 15 minutes in:
https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-podcast-episode-59-with-poormans-pinball-podcast/
If you have questions for Ian from Poor Mans about the conversation you can contact him at Poormanspinball@gmail.com or he is captain-flint on here

Oh sweet. Wish you guys were listed on Spotify, I'd add ya to the weekly rotation. I started listening to podcasts again after a long time because I stumbled onto Poor Man's on their 2nd or 3rd episode...been listening ever since. STUPID KESSLERS WHY U NO SPONSOR

#913 3 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The thing is, the current games are too compelling to ignore (at least for me!)[quoted image]

I volunteer as tribute... to set unattainable high scores that you'll never get off your game unless you factory reset it.

#1270 3 months ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Your point wasn't lost on me. The way you made it was disturbing.
Whether you mean it or not, you don't say you're going to come vandalize someone's games.
The upvoting of such douchebaggery is equally disturbing.

Yeah whatever. There's a very clear difference between setting up a scenario that is similar given what you're selling to what Stern/JJP have going on right now.....

OR

Saying you're GOING TO go to someone's place and trash their stuff. You're being intentionally obtuse to try and look like you're in the right. It isn't working. THAT'S why you're getting the downvotes, and why other people are getting upvotes.

Quoted from jimwe5t:

(very few have the tools and the ability

The tools? You can afford a NIB, but not a nut driver, some sockets, and a multibit screwdriver.....OOOOOOOKAY! If anyone has the ability to make good enough money to spend 6-12k on a pinball machine, but lacks the ability to LEARN to deal with a PF swap....let's just call it like it is. They're just *lazy* and self-righteous (and I'm not saying they don't have a right to be paying that kind of money!), not incompetent. These are just excuses, and Stern and JJP know that too. They're not going to kowtow for BS reasons like that....

#1277 3 months ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

Man, am I gonna be screwed if Chevy decides to send me a C8 Corvette chasis and expects me to know how to reassemble the damned car.

If you think a pinball machine is even half as complicated as an Model-T...I don't even know what to say there. The most complicated pin to fully shop-and-swap properly is....

Wait for it...

Any electromechanical game. Pins have gotten MUCH easier to properly maintain over the years, and Sterns are very very simple most of the time. Pretty much one magnetic nut driver takes care of 90% of the underside of the playfield, or at least it did as of Tron and Metallica. Strip a game to swap to LEDs...Pfft. Nope. One nut driver, drop the socket out the bottom, and change it out. No soldered ground / bus wires, connectors to lift things out the top of the playfield, etc. And despite all their issues, at least companies like Heighway were TRYING to do things like make a game where the entire flipper assembly just dropped out of the playfield and could be brought to a table to work on.

Your cargument holds no water, like gasoline (not counting Ethanol blend).

#1344 3 months ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

it's a joke, dude. Relax. I'm more than capable of performing a playfield swap. But, no, I don't think I should have to be burdened in any way to fix an obvious manufacturing defect. I shouldn't have to pay for it. Nor should I have to do my own repairs.

I don't think NIB purchasers should either, so we're in agreement there. These companies NEED to have planning for these scenarios included in their business plans, because it just seems to happen all the time. I'm sure Stern does, and Spooky seems to be the only one taking actual preventative action instead of always being on the defensive when these things happen.

But it was still silly to say that the reason that people shouldn't have to do a playfield swap is their own incompetence or lack of tooling. The truth is, you pay for a product, you expect that it's going to wear over time....not two or three weeks later to look like it was cleared in some guy's garage by an amateur. I guarantee that if my Tron, Met, or AC/DC Premium (the only games I've bought NIB) had showed up with these issues, I'd be on my distro as much as everyone currently affected by this current round of issues is.... and that was at 4200 pro and 5700 premium prices, not even the ludicrous current models.

#1515 3 months ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

If I was a less mature person, I would probably assume you’re some mouth breathing incel on a fifth grade reading level that spends the majority of his sad existence antagonizing people on an online forum ....BUT I would NEVER call you those things because that would be against the site rules and would be extremely rude of me.

Thank christ we can skirt the rules with statements like that.

#1516 3 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

contacting JJP Tech Support for instructions on how to do this properly

Seriously.... contact tech support to learn how to properly remove a post? Is this really any more complicated than "hold the post still while unscrewing/rescrewing it so it doesn't torque the playfield" LOL.... If the day EVER comes where Jack doesn't talk down to the community like we're a bunch of clueless rubes, I might really have a heart attack. Shifting blame back to the customers. Priceless.

#1675 3 months ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Route operator

And your...players....are calling you wanting to bitch on your behalf? Man, you should buy those guys a beer! Most businesses would murder third world countries for customers like that!

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

how many new in box games have you bought in the last 5 years @flynnibus ?

This is a poor measure of anyone's opinion. Even a broke-as-a-joke motherf... like ME has bought 3 NIB in the last 5 years.....and this issue doesn't even go back 5 years, really. Tron, Met, AC/DC Premium (I guess apparently Luci did but that was at the very end of a VERY long production run!)....did not have these problems, or at the very least to anywhere near the degree of what we're seeing now. (Yes, I know AC/DC cloudy windows is technically a playfield issue, but I don't believe it was related to the clear.)

#1676 3 months ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I would want to talk with someone who has experience repairing play fields. They would offer the most experience.

Chris Hutchins already commented on this thread. If HEP's opinion isn't weighty enough for you, nobody's will be.

#1885 3 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

CGC, suck on packaging the game to avoid damage. The games are brilliant but there are too many posts of games damaged in transit.

Again...this has exactly what to do with PLAYFIELD CLEAR ISSUES? Who was talking about CGC? What does crappy packaging for freight have to do with Stern or JJP's clear issues?

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I'm not going to accept this as the new norm

What the hell?

You seriously got 16 upvotes on this joke of a post that's nothing but false equivalency, and completely unrelated to what I was saying. It's basically just a rant continuing your previous rants. It's got nothing at all to do with what *I* was saying, yet you quoted me as if it was. Nowhere, anywhere on here, have I said that people should accept these gimpy playfields.

#1889 3 months ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

Serious question...is the ENTIRE pin returnable to the distributor? I mean to say, that if I received a defective pin-with no hope in sight for a solution-is THAT pin returnable to the distributor ? Kind of a "lemon law" but for pins. Time shouldn't be an issue as what I've been reading are owner's are reporting chipping issues in ~month's time or so. So again-why not just return the defective product to where it came from?

It's up to distributors to set their own return / replacement policies that are in excess of the manufacturer warranty. It's going to vary from distro to distro, and probably even customer to customer.....as I expect there's a certain level of favoritism that goes to repeat purchasers.

#1971 89 days ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Jack IS doing the right thing. Plain and simple. The man is making calls to customers HIMSELF. Hell, I’m sure he’s even delivering play fields personally to those who are local also! That’s just the kind of guy he is. An act of goodwill to that extent is unmatched, and it deserves recognition. No lip service, just action.

Number one, you're just making a wild guess about him personally showing up to local people and attribuiting this false magnanimity to him as if it were real...that's ridiculous. He doesn't get "good will credits" for something that you're only assuming happens.

Number two....unmatched? LOL. I've had *higher* than that level of service, without having to fight for it, from GAP on a USED GAME that I bought from them. That dude went to bat and handled all the BS with the shipping company that I otherwise would've had to deal with when they smashed up a perfectly great sample Jackbot. Not only did he get his money back for shipping through them, he got me HUGE compensation that more than paid for my time and having to pull the playfield, reclear it, and put it back together. It was ridiculously good. All I had to do was sit back for a few months and let it happen.

..............Meanwhile....it's taken Jack (and Stern!) months/years to collectively pull their heads out of their buttholes, and I'm not really sure they're actually doing it, or if they're just trying to shut people up as quickly as possible to do damage control. Nobody will really know the truth until games are coming out of the factories without these issues.

#2003 87 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

you where saying we just had to lap this shit up, if I got that wrong then I sincerely apologise.

No? Soft clear is bad clear. Period. I don't care whose fault it is. If it's my 4200+ on the line I'm not taking responsibility for it. I'd probably be a bit more lenient on something like a cabinet ding than you, but playfields are a hard stop for me in terms of issues. I've had to pull, strip, reclear, and repopulate a game before due to shipping damage (game ended up full of glass), and there's no way in hell that I'd EVER do that on a NIB, for any reason. Clear issues aren't the customer's problem...it's Stern's and JJP's, and if they won't stand behind their product, I hope they're ready to weather the loss of sales they're inevitably going to take.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside