(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adipocere.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#322 4 years ago

SE owner here. Pooling around the slings and posts (like most SE owners seem to have). Also had some chipping visible below some of the posts when I took them up to install the POTC kit JJP provided.

It's disappointing, and I hope the problems get identified and resolved. I also think this might be the best playing game ever made, or at least that I have had the pleasure to play. So it's got that going for it.

Incidentally, I played a BK:SOR Pro a couple of weeks ago that had very visible playfield chipping around the sling posts.

#541 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I always heard JJP had less distributor profit than Stern. Also, Wonka playfields were probably already in production when the POTC issues came to light.

My distributor said that he makes a little over $200 on the Wonka SEs. When JJP lowered prices on the entry editions, the difference was taken almost completely out of the distro’s profit margin. I’m not sure if they made up for it on the LEs though. I would suspect that way more Wonka SEs are selling compared to previous JJP titles, including to new buyers like myself who could not justify the higher prices in the past.

JJP is apparently strict on a lot, including shipping fees for distros. This is why you rarely if ever see the free shipping deals you see on Sterns. Way less profit margin.

I can not confirm any of this, but I didn’t get the impression he was lying (or had any reason to). I also didn’t get into or particularly care to ask how much they make on Sterns.

#576 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

That’s 2.6% on sales. Nobody in their right mind works on that low of a margin.

You might be right, and I can not confirm it by any means. It could be BS from the distributor. Consider this though: they went up $500 on the price of LEs and JJP LEs have always vastly outsold the SEs, so they probably were a package deal with the understanding that distributors would make the money back and then some on LE sales.

Who knows? With JJP, after all, we are talking about a company that makes its customers pay return shipping for faulty warranty parts, and also who think that $22 is a reasonable S&H fee to put a small clothing object in an envelope and ship it 5 states away.

It would be infuriating if they didn't also make the absolute best pinball games of the modern era, and maybe ever.

#594 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Have done more research on this and found that JJP/Mirco is using water based clear instead of two pack polyurethane because of the environmental impact of the fumes pollution in our homes. Actually if this is the case, my opinion has turned 180 degrees. JJP/Mirco should be applauded for not using the very dangerous two pack polyurethane that many countries have now outlawed because of it off gassing in our homes and being very carcinogenic and super dangerous to us and our families health. I’d rather live with some chipping than having health problems.
Still think, giving 6 months or at least longer curing time is the answer and not printing artwork under the high impact areas, like Stern has done on Munsters, GOTG, etc., in the sling areas and such. No print clear coat adhesion issues there. If JJP were to come out and say this is the reason, who could be upset with them??? Except, JJP not giving enough curing time before assembly. Or over tightening mechs/posts. Or using too thick of a layer of clear coat. JJP should use this as a marketing coo instead of all the negative press they are getting now.

OUR PINBALL MACHINES ARE POISONING US!!!

#633 4 years ago
Quoted from Hemispheres:

You do realize at the end of the day you're just going to jack your distributor. You think we're going to get the money back? Ultimately if this becomes a wildfire we're the ones that will get screwed.

If my distributor acted this scared about an issue with a product he/she was selling, I would immediately know whether or not they supported me as a customer.

#663 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Do you really think he would tell you hay buddy I mark up my games by $1500 per unit

The prices are pretty set for JJPs from what I see. And again, I was just passing on what he said, not vouching for its accuracy.

#769 4 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

You posted the holocaust reference you dunce. Sexual harassment? I gotta see this...show me where I “sexually harassed” you...
You clearly aren’t playing with a full deck, are you?

You can't reason with lunatics. Just avoid and ignore them. Stay focused on the issue at hand, not the kind of squabbling that always derails threads here.

#855 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I like DMD better than LCD...

“Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled!”

#1091 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

12 days of play, luckilly its only 1% of the playfield..
Groovy stuff , but I prefer another kind[quoted image][quoted image]

Your pictures look very similar to my SE playfield. I notified JJP on two different occasions. The first time they sent the POTC “fix”. I also provided pictures in a follow-up email. No response to that as of yet.

I also notified my distributor of this as well as other issues that they either HAVE already fixed, or have said they WOULD fix once a solution was ready, mostly for posterity.

I have to imagine that distributors with a bunch of these in stock are cringing, wondering how many are just like these. You can talk about percentages and tickets all day, but how many WW SEs and LEs out there have we seen that DON’T have some form of this after a few days (if not right out of the box).

Shame too, because the game is incredible, and this shouldn’t be the defining story of it.

#1211 4 years ago

*Wake up to see what's new on the pooling thread

*2 pages of people fighting over semantics and the definitions of words

*Close browser, understanding why no company will ever take Pinside complaints seriously.

#1430 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Not surprised at all they’re not going to do anything unless there’s chipping/paint loss. Interesting they’ve told you not to remove the posts. Obviously that’s going to cause the clear to chip.
Does that mean if the clear chips when you remove posts that it’s not covered? Then you have to contact tech support before removing. How is tech support to do it without chipping? What about in 2 years when you want to strip and clean the Playfield?

Doubly interesting considering they sent me a POTC kit to put on my Wonka when I reported the bubbling and chipping. Which required me to remove posts to install.

#1481 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

On my Pirates, I installed good old fashioned star posts from Marco and used rubber washers from Home Depot on the slings, set all slings to 16 strength. Did this about 100 games in, after blistering (donuts) on the skinny posts began to appear. I haven't looked under the posts in the meantime, but 4 months later there was no spreading of the blistering beyond the washers.
Of course, as others have said this doesn't remove the overall problem that the clearcoat is shite to begin with - it obviously is, if blistering appeared after 100 games. I assume the entire PF will go to hell at some point but I hope not. To pay $9500 and not have my ass covered by the manufacturer angers me greatly and is completely unacceptable and bizarre to me. What a fucking hobby. These companies should be taken to the cleaners IMO. Any lawyers out there? Class action suit, anyone?
I've stopped playing it in the hope that the clearcoat hardens, I don't know if that makes any difference. Sadly, I'm going to wait until March 2020 to play again. That would be one year after manufacture to harden fully. I have over 20 other pins to play, so I'm ok to wait.
I'm 600 games on my Pirates with some very minor blistering elsewhere but overall things look ok. Personally, I don't mind blistering and even minor chips eventually, but when it comes time to SELL or TRADE this machine I will have to deal with the high standards of potential buyers and this will cost me money for something that was not of my doing.
Another huge problem was the t-nut protruding in the map hole that was gouging balls, resulting in potential ripping up of the PF. If you haven't done so already, cut that protruding bit off and change your balls, they will be cut to shit.

Not playing your games to keep the resale value high is like not sleeping with your girl to keep her tight for the next guy.

4 weeks later
#2155 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

They’d be ridiculed mercilessly if peppermint washers were the official company fix.

Yeah, its like those companies in London marketing makeup kits for acid attacks. Why not do something about the acid attacks instead of marketing fixes to help you live with them?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adipocere.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-?tu=adipocere and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.