(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rum-Z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#768 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Their "fix" of just not putting art where the posts meet the playfield is a workaround at best. Makes for ugly playfields. I do not want that to be the new standard.

I'm not a fan of the washer fix. as I personally think the washers look like an eye-sore. Out of all the games in my game room, there's a few like BSD that have no art under the slingshots and that area extends past the slingshot posts. So leaving art off the area around and under the slingshots and posts has been done in the past and nobody has complained about it as far as I know. If the new normal going forward is digitally printed art not adhering well to playfields in places where things are fastened to it causing this issue (assuming this is the issue), and I could choose my "fix", I'd rather have art not around posts than unsightly off centered washers that look like they came from Lowes or Home Depot on my expensive NIB games.

Of course, maybe someone will come up with some anodized or gold plated washers to spice things up. There's an opportunity for the mod makers.

In full disclosure I do not have a JJP pin affected by this, but I do have an AC/DC Luci VE affected by this, so I'm posting this in the spirit of all of us pinheads being in this together when it comes to this particular issue, and I mean no ill will to JJP fans, as this washer fix is currently being used by both JJP and Stern. I would just like to know if others feel that the washer fix is unsightly and the no art option would be preferable as it is to me.

#779 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If regulations surrounding the types and amounts of chemicals that can be used are negatively impacting playfield quality isn't it time for Stern and JJP to consider dumping wood playfields altogether in favor of a composite alternative? There's a few examples of pins being made over the years using composite playfields that have held up extremely well.

If a high quality playfield alternative became the norm and issues such as severe dimpling, clear chipping, clear pooling, etc went away would anyone really care if the playfield wasn't made out of wood? I wouldn't.

I'm with you here. Maybe even a wood playfield with a composite overlay like the hardtop guys are doing. I can't believe with all the dimpling, ghosting, and now art/clearcoat wrinkling threads over the past few years, there hasn't been internal discussion at Stern & JJP about this. Edit: LOL, zaphX just barely beat me to the hardtop suggestion.

#787 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

What Do you think the art will look like after the steel ball has bounced on it for a couple of years?

I'm gonna find out with my Luci VE which is 14 months old and has the wrinkling around the post issue. I seriously do wonder! I mean, why wouldn't the art and clearcoat start to let loose in areas of heavy dimpling? I don't have a playfield protector on to protect those areas where the ball travels. I mean Yikes!! Think of the future issues that could happen here. We're just at the beginning with this issue.

#790 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Strange thing, why is it that ripples on the JJP machines pretty much are guaranteed to chip and peel like an onion in time but on the Stern games ripples/bunching it doesn’t seem to chip?
Or I should say the chipping percentage seems to be much lower.

I know my Stern chipped, and I suspect it'll chip more as time goes on.

#886 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

nice interview until you said all of us who have chipping are crazy for letting it bother us

Thanks for saving me the trouble of listening. I'm glad my distributor didn't tell me this.

#1007 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

I asked the JJP Google groups if there was a solution to the problem, they had a very quick fix for me.
Within 1 minute I was deleted from the group.

You got the VIP treatment.

#1020 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

all I am saying is its not widespread be lucky if its more than 1%

I can't believe this. I ordered 2 machines last year, a Luci VE and a Metallica Prem. The Luci has it in multiple areas, while the Met is fine. That's 50% of the machines I ordered last year. Small selection set, but I'm sure there's a lot of affected pins out there. The majority of operators don't give a shit, and the majority of home use buyers who don't frequent Pinside might never realize where all the multi-colored confetti littering their playfield is coming from, so you won't hear or see complaints from a large percentage of owners, but rest assured, the issue is there.

#1024 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I bought 2 games last year and they both have issues so thats 100% for me.

So you and I bought 4 machines combined and 3 of the 4 have issues, so the amount of Sterns affected are 75% according to my and Who-Dey's official scientific research. Yeah, that's not super exact, but it's a slice of data that shows way* more than 1% affected.

* Should be read as "waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy" for emphasis.

#1029 4 years ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

Ok, then I'am a 1%er if I believe this guy.

We all won the Shit Lottery. WOOOOOO!!!!

#1076 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Ask the distributors.

I do believe he (Ballypinball) is the distributor for Australia no? Apologies if mistaken.

#1222 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

I remember the days when this thread was about clear/chipping around the sling posts. lol.

I remember the days when pinball was fun J/K, still fun. Just looking to get this whole episode behind us, hopefully sooner than later.

1 week later
#1876 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

What if it meant Stern would go broke and out of business?

Shudder at the thought. Where would all the NIB addicts get their fix?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,600 (OBO)
$ 64.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
11,000 (OBO)
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rum-Z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-?tu=Rum-Z and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.