(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NeilMcRae.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I've heard they do fill ins with Mirco, but never seen any proof, except that Stern has had the exact same clear bunching problems occasionally, too. Seen it on Iron Maiden and Beatles recently.

and Spooky on TNA.

I can probably put up with anything in pinball except the playfield being faulty, especially when for 30 years play fields have been fine...

Neil.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Spooky addressed the issue, found the issue, and no longer a problem for them. I think it was an issue on the mid late run games only.
I know my 151 had no issues. Absolutely no playfield issues that I know of reported on ACNC. My Alice playfield has no clear issues or chipping. So I do not think Spooky should be brought up in this thread. Buy with confidence from them.

Are you joking?! Addressed is an interesting view I think if you poll those with chipped play fields they might have a different view.

Pretty much TNA games from 80->450 have this problem according to spooky so your TNA 151 has the issue and it will sooner or later show up.

Neil.

1 week later
#1234 4 years ago

I don’t think these issues are about changing to a water based solution. Pretty sure that would have had to have happened a long while ago. Certainly in Europe from 2003 it would’ve nearly impossible to used solvent based solutions in any volume.

The area that was hit for this was car manufacturers I’ve been a BMW M owner for over twenty years and in 2003 I had an estoril blue e46 M3 and in 2006 I got a sapphire black M6 - the paint on the m6 was piss poor huge orange peel on it and terrible density. So stone chips a plenty on delivery my three year old M3 had better paint than my 10 mile M6!!! - the paint was freaking cheese. BMW then stopped offering estoril blue and that’s when we found out it was related to the change to water based paint, and to this day they haven’t resolved the quality.

Car paint has never been the same.

What’s totally ludicrous now is that most folks with decent cars in Europe put on paintshield which is made from the very same chemicals that are now limited in paint because the water based paints suck. DoH!

Back to play fields I though this was an issue from a common PF manufacturer like Mirko but I now think that one of the core ingredients in the clear process has become contaminated or has changed such that multiple companies are feeling the pain...

None of the manufacturers including spooky have dealt with this well enough yet. I would predict Stern will make customers good but the others need to step up and put it right with populated playfield replacement. If I was JJP or Stern I’d press the big red stop button in the factory until this was figured out.

Neil

#1241 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

AFAIK, there are no clear-coat issues with ACNC playfields. Seems there was only a small run of TNA's that had issues. How have they not dealt with it well enough yet?

There was +atleast+ 300 games affected and all they did was send out washers.

#1291 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

You are speculating numbers... and YOU GOT A FREE PLAYFIELD NEIL... so ??? Only washers??? How is that only washers? Was it the fully populated free everything you wanted shipped to the UK? Nope... but it was far more than washers, and you were one of only DOZENS OF BOARDS WE SENT OUT FOR FREE.
Yeah I know... still not good enough. Sorry. Did our best.

Should a person who hides behind a keyboard be allowed to be a constant source of attack when they serve no purpose but to cause drama? We've done as much or more than any company large or small to make this right with everyone and been pretty damn transparent in the process... we've also SOLVED the issue and have had NO further instances. Compared to the present state of things, I'd say that's pretty good.
You've made a lot of posts bitching on a website. We've made thousands of games that have had ups and downs and will be here long after we're all LOOOOONG gone. I'd say that's doing something positive for pinball.
Off this thread for good... bash away you two.

Charlie
LOL First off I’m not hiding behind my keyboard and I actually tried to come and talk to you about it at TPF but you were super busy or not at the stand and frankly I don’t travel five thousand miles to stand and wait to complain. I’ll be at Expo if you want to catch up then, you’ll find that I’ll say everything here to you in person “whilst looking at the whites of your eyes!”

Easy to fix any of my speculation by:

1: being specific about who was affected (so that second user buyers know what they are getting into - as you quote these games will outlast us all). There are still loads of folks who are in the dark.

2: being specific as to what the problem was - at least to those who are likely to come across it if not in public.

There is a view here that this was a minor problem - I don’t agree, there is a view that it was handled well, again I don’t agree. I am not suggesting that you didn’t do all that you could, but you could have handled it better - there was no direct contact and the only way I found out about it was when people started to post pictures of the damage then there was the washers offered - from what I made out (and you can go read the thread folks) - this problem was known and hadn’t been shared - if it had been then prevention might have been possible. People with games barely days old had the problem well after it was known.

But again those that know me know I am positive person and am super happy to admit when I’m wrong and if I am I’ll be hiding behind my keyboard posting that and looking anyone in the whites of their eyes saying I was wrong. I’d love to be wrong on this!

Charlie - I love TNA - I love Rob Zombie, ACNC is excellent and you have done an epic job to make something unique (although I’m not an Alice Cooper Fan!).

Yes I’ve got a new populated playfield that I had to pay for, yes you discounted it, no its not all a company could or should do. Within GB ghosting Stern sent me FOC a populated
Playfield.

I had to pay you over a thousand dollars to get my game back to how it should have been from the start.

Fortunately for me I have a good relationship with my dealer and he shipped it in his container free of charge (although some import taxes might be due on it).

I only got that I believe because I kicked up a stink on pinside. Because the only solution offered up to that point was a bunch of washers, which by the way I helped out all the UK folks by getting them sent to me and I sent them on to all the UK owners. I’m such a bad guy.

Regards
Neil

#1292 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Wait, this guy got a free new playfield and is making it seem like he got screwed?
Wow, some people are just jerks.

Hmm they are indeed!

#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Stern is not giving everybody a populated playfield to make them whole.
That's just more of your Stern fan boy bullshit and you know it

They shipped me (and others in th Uk) a brand new populated premium playfield 5000 miles from Chicago to my house Free of Charge when Ghostbusters had the ghosting issue.

#1294 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Seems you conveniently left out some important details there Neil.

Well I wasn’t the only one; was I?

To be honest I considered the matter closed but I’m not going to listen to bullshit where people say it’s well handled when it absolutely wasn’t.

Neil.

#1296 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Sounds like you should have got a new populated playfield to me. They made a bad product and should have stood behind it period.

Totally agree. I got a new populated playfield in the end but only because I paid for it.

#1297 4 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

WOW - Still No Response from JJP?
13 Pages later from my official withdraw from the CE#12
Welll.....Still Out.
I think this will be very interesting come to the Chicago Expo with JJP not making a statement by then....I mean we are just days away from September and the Expo is really around the corner. With games coming out and other things coming down the line - It really is important for JJP to get out in front of this issue and make a statement.
THEY ARE LOSING MONEY.

Richie - expo is 8 weeks away and I’m sure JJP will update us well before it - let question is will we like what they say?!

#1460 4 years ago

Pretty piss poor but not unexpected response. Look at the pirates thread - three months ago atleast JJP knew they had a problem but didn’t think solving it for wonka was important.

#1646 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

These are the same “collectors” that think people shaking their machines is abuse... who won’t take games to shows because they are afraid of them being handled or being played... and put 20-30% of the games price into mods on their games to doll them up. Yet can’t fix a simple switch stack and think schematics are hieroglyphs.... and what to define the “worst thing that can possibly happen” to a game to be 1/8” cosmetic chips around posts. Get real.
It sucks your new toy is no longer flawless... but that is inevitable in pinball. We spend good time and money rebuilding them... because they get broken, they wear, and they fail. Such is the life of a pinball machine.

when I noticed the chipping on my TNA that's how I first felt about it. But then in researching the issue what one finds is that most things that cause the most impact on a pinball is linked to the playfield and problems like that often accelerate the rebuild time. Some folks don't want to rebuild them and many folks buy a game knowing that in a few months they will sell it for near what they paid for it.

I decided that playfield issues on a new game was the line for me. A new game just shouldn't have playfield issues. Bang on the cabinet, iffy switch, bust node board I can take. Failed played; No.

just a quick question though - how many new in box games have you bought in the last 5 years @flynnibus ?

#1714 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

This is a poor measure of anyone's opinion. Even a broke-as-a-joke motherf... like ME has bought 3 NIB in the last 5 years.....and this issue doesn't even go back 5 years, really. Tron, Met, AC/DC Premium (I guess apparently Luci did but that was at the very end of a VERY long production run!)....did not have these problems, or at the very least to anywhere near the degree of what we're seeing now. (Yes, I know AC/DC cloudy windows is technically a playfield issue, but I don't believe it was related to the clear.)

On this topic I don't agree! DOWNVOTERS START YOUR ENGINES LOL

In response to this and Flynibus reply I think this is a key issue. If you are buying NIB its literally a crap shoot on what you get. Take my last purchase - MBR. a few of them came to the UK including my number matched game. So you pay your £8500, so does your buddy down the road. you get one with the problems, he doesn't and immediately you've lost a wedge of cash on an expensive item. Thats total nonsense and there is no way that should be the case.

Having watched CGC games be delivered here on Pinside; in my view they, CGC, suck on packaging the game to avoid damage. The games are brilliant but there are too many posts of games damaged in transit. I predicted a number of them coming to the UK would be damaged and a number of them were. Fearful my own game would be one of them. But to those buyers they didn't find that out until after they had the game. My game arrived in mint condition with no damage. If it hadn't done I'd have sent it back for either replacement or refund. (the dealer here is excellent and is sorting the situation out).

If you buy second user then for the most part you know what you are getting, or you can go inspect it play it and have a look at it. All of the MBR games that arrived that are damaged play fine but a couple of them have huge damage including one that has a massive dent in the armour where the glass slides in. The dealer here is exceptional and managing the problem for them (he has also has stated to JJP that he won't take any more games until this issue is resolved). But the games play fine so they should just accept that? I see no difference other than its simpler to swap out a bit on the cabinet than on a playfield- so what?!

In my view that's the **price for the manufacturers of being in the pinball business** Given a choice of a game without playfield issues and one with, no second user is buying the one with the playfield issues and irrespective if you plan to keep the game for a while or sell it for the next new thing is irrelevant; the games should come without damage on them. I can't think of another industry that would find this acceptable. Even the LCD folks gave up with their minimum pixel failure rate because it was bullshit too.

Whilst I have a lot of games, I'm not a collector, I'm a player and here in the UK there are few good places to play. I want my games to look and play great, I run four to six tournaments or meetings at my house; I stream my crap playing too! Folks come from all over the country to play; I also host three autistic charity events every year and again I want my games to play and look great, but I'm mostly concerned with the playfield I don't want to be explaining on stream some huge cornflake of damage at each post FFS! if the cabinet has a few dings I'm less worried about that than any playfield damage; and why I was super disappointed with TNA especially as it was non-trivial to get one to the UK. From the moment I played the proto I wanted TNA when they announced it was going to be built. Hell yes! So I bust a gut to figure out how to import it to the UK personally.

I'm not going to accept this as the new norm because 30 years of pinball history says it doesn't have to be the new normal. Those that think this issue is not a big deal I really struggle with, but when I look at that it's usually those that will never have to face this problem and I understand that's simply human nature.

Regards,
Neil.

#1715 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

As promised... here is a picture of a two year old Pirates with NO CHIPS! Also I was wrong it doesn't have 2,000 plays but it's closing in.

how can you have a two year old pirates? It was only debuted at Expo in 2017 and then was at least 6 months before shipping? Is it a proto?

#1717 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I got the game an entire year ago, but the game i got was used by JJP at several trade shows for the year prior which is why the game had so many plays. I can promise you I didn’t play the game 1400 times. LOL
I can go look for the born date if you want, either way all that matters is how many plays. 1400 is a ton and the game has no chips.

so it must be a proto then... we had a proto at our club - it had no chipping also - something changed when the final manufacturing started.

Neil.

#1738 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Wouldn't it be something if JJP started to offer a Playfield warranty with new machine purchases? Here's how I see it;
For only $499.99, you will receive a two year warranty on top of the manufacturers very limited warranty. This extended warranty specifically covers Playfield cosmetic problems such as chipping, paint bubbling or whatever else we want to call it. If a claim is made (and approved by an unbiased Review Committee) you will receive a new or remanufactured playfield from Jersey Jack pinball. Shipping charges will be borne by the customer. This is a parts only warranty. You will receive a new play field which you get to install yourself or pay someone to install it. Jersey Jack pinball service centers will offer a Playfield swap service for just $2495.00 based on today's value of money. Also, if the Playfield is no longer in stock, you'll receive a $500 credit good on the future purchase of another Jersey Jack pinball machine. Remember, these are the best built, highest quality, pinball machines there are. Thank you for your business.

Quoted from MrBally:

Wouldn't it be something if JJP started to offer a Playfield warranty with new machine purchases? Here's how I see it;
For only $499.99, you will receive a two year warranty on top of the manufacturers very limited warranty. This extended warranty specifically covers Playfield cosmetic problems such as chipping, paint bubbling or whatever else we want to call it. If a claim is made (and approved by an unbiased Review Committee) you will receive a new or remanufactured playfield from Jersey Jack pinball. Shipping charges will be borne by the customer. This is a parts only warranty. You will receive a new play field which you get to install yourself or pay someone to install it. Jersey Jack pinball service centers will offer a Playfield swap service for just $2495.00 based on today's value of money. Also, if the Playfield is no longer in stock, you'll receive a $500 credit good on the future purchase of another Jersey Jack pinball machine. Remember, these are the best built, highest quality, pinball machines there are. Thank you for your business.

Sounds like the LCD warranty bullshit that some laptop people tried to do. The wrong answer IMO.

#1743 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

My wife got burned by a "Pixel Policy". Until I made the failure a bit more catastrophic....

hell yes.

#1759 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

So if mylar is placed on the potential trouble spots with a washer on top, will this prevent the chipping or will the clear still crack underneath?

yup most likely.

#1821 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Progress pics. Both of my star posts have now blistered and chipped. I have blistering on most of the rest of the play field as well. Pretty much any post that's screwed into the field.
1900 plays. I took possession of the pin on July 18th, and the pin sat unplayed for more than a week while I waited for replacement opto boards. So basically 5 weeks of service.
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

that sucks dood, fingers crossed JJP look after you.

#1822 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Here's 7 more. I can't get any decent pictures of others without disassembly.
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

thanks for sharing. There is no way in hell that's an acceptable game. Its shocking!

#2001 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Again...this has exactly what to do with PLAYFIELD CLEAR ISSUES? Who was talking about CGC? What does crappy packaging for freight have to do with Stern or JJP's clear issues?

What the hell?
You seriously got 16 upvotes on this joke of a post that's nothing but false equivalency, and completely unrelated to what I was saying. It's basically just a rant continuing your previous rants. It's got nothing at all to do with what *I* was saying, yet you quoted me as if it was. Nowhere, anywhere on here, have I said that people should accept these gimpy playfields.

Maybe you need to write it clearer. From my point of view it looked like you where saying we just had to lap this shit up, if I got that wrong then I sincerely apologise. I was comparing a dinged machine during transport vs the play field failures that we are seeing. From my POV they aren't any different and I want my game replaced.

Cheers,
Neil.

#2023 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It is interesting that the people who are beating the "populated playfield" drum the loudest do not own JJP games at all.
Demanding a full playfield swap is essentially saying "this chipped game is 100% without value and cannot be used." And that is just not true.

I own a JJP game.

#2046 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

From where I sit, all I see are pinside people being entitled and unreasonable while JJP is doing what they can to make people happy.

LOL - when the zombie apocalypse happens and we buy something that we then don't get I'll give you the above. But in todays world, you say hey sir I'd like that thing over there that looks like x, does y and costs z. In the that world, if any of these things aren't true then I no longer want the item, or I want you to put it right, how that is unreasonable or being entitled is beyond me.

Neil.

#2047 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

It may be different with Wonka, but JJP doesn’t have the parts available to send out populated playfields for JJPOTC. They sold 1000 machines and only had some extra parts beyond that.

has some sort of schism happened in New Jersey that stops them from being able to order more?

Neil.

#2048 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

From where I sit, all I see are pinside people being entitled and unreasonable while JJP is doing what they can to make people happy.

Doing what they can?

7606dd1442b1d558799827fa5fee2364098225bf943a79728e4e1f960e1fb24a (resized).jpg7606dd1442b1d558799827fa5fee2364098225bf943a79728e4e1f960e1fb24a (resized).jpg

Going on some bozo podcast that says not a lot without an indication of when folks might hear something; refunding people they had previously ripped off on a defective product that isn't even a solution for the defect?

Holy shit!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 91.00
15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 64.00
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NeilMcRae.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-?tu=NeilMcRae and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.