(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 45.
#151 4 years ago

Every manufacturer has problems. I had a ton of problems with my MBr LE (but none with MMr or AFMr), while my Pirates and Wonka have been awesome. My 4 Sterns have also been awesome as far as reliability, but there you always are taking a gamble on code. No company is perfect, no company is completely trash - too much time wasted playing Stern VS JJP.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

This is the real issue here. Not with the playfield manufacturer, rather JJP temporary workers line tightening the posts etc too tight on a new and not fully cured playfield. Every time the steel ball hits those posts, it rocks against the newly minted, not fully cured playfield and so begins the chipping, cracking and rippling. It wouldn’t matter which playfield manufacturer JJP were to use, they all would result in the same issues they have now, because of poor JJP manufacturing and over tightening of playfield items. Any playfield needs time to cure, before it is used in assembling and populating a pinball machine. It’s common sense 101.
Not seen this issue on any Stern owned by myself or friends. They have so many tables on the line, that proper curing time is given before playfield is populated and Stern experienced line workers don’t over tighten the posts etc.

Quoted from jimwe5t:

Would like to see an uploaded photo of proof of that. Talk is cheap.

Here ya go, from this thread (GOTG), same problem.

e14720a647d0cf0f42fd3ea8764ca4f559c8c1c9 (resized).jpge14720a647d0cf0f42fd3ea8764ca4f559c8c1c9 (resized).jpg

#153 4 years ago

I’m sorry for the issues you are having.

Could this be a cure time issue for the pf’s?

Overzealous torque of screws? Too much clear?

Will JJP send you another pf at cost maybe?

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yes yes yes maybe (?)
that's if a PF cost $500 to them

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

All 3 I think, possibly combined with new environmentally friendly clear.

#156 4 years ago

I was just at the boardwalk in Rehobeth DE...here's the Beatles clear with a similar issue. I'd guess the game has been there a while, but likely not played much. A neoprene washer would take care of it.
MVIMG_20190819_201504 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190819_201504 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190819_201513 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190819_201513 (resized).jpg

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

that's if a PF cost $500 to them

Not a chance.

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I’m sorry for the issues you are having.

Since there has been people in this thread and other posting replacement pf's beeing soft as butter after months of storage, what Do you think?

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

All 3 I think, possibly combined with new environmentally friendly clear.

There are PFs being made today that don’t have this issue so it’s specific to Mirco it seems. I’m betting the stern PFs that have this issue were mirco, and the stern PFs that don’t have this issue were sourced elsewhere. Just a theory.

#160 4 years ago

This thread is screaming in the wilderness and Vid is nowhere to be found...

#161 4 years ago

Yeah, this thread is a bummer.
It sure was a lot easier to debate the value of a dinosaur eating our balls.

#162 4 years ago

I seem to remember Vid saying Mirco uses Baltic Birch which is why the shooter lane has a different appearance from other manufacturers.

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

For 12.5k the playfield <strikeout>should</strikeout> be the best in the business.

Let me fix this for you:

For 12.5k the playfield MUSTbe the best in the business.
At 12.5k; that damn machine better be a dreamboat.

If I were your buddy; I'd be telling them point blank to come pick the machine up and send it back to JJP for a *FULL* refund. They pay the shipping.
That's the only language that makes sense at this point.

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Let me fix this for you:
For 12.5k the playfield
MUSTbe the best in the business.
At 12.5k; that damn machine better be a dreamboat.
If I were your buddy; I'd be telling them point blank to come pick the machine up and send it back to JJP for a *FULL* refund. They pay the shipping.
That's the only language that makes sense at this point.

Lol! I just got off the phone with him, and that may be where this heading. Thankfully, he paid for it with a CC and that appears to be his next move.

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Arguing aboot clear, "new maple" PFs, drying time etc is the reason he left.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Lol! I just got off the phone with him, and that may be where this heading. Thankfully, he paid for it with a CC and that appears to be his next move.

Great! Seriously; this is the only thing that makes sense.
You ask "premium" for a machine; you should expect a premium machine.
This clearcoat bs is just that smoke and mirrors. If they stop getting orders and start getting returns; they'll address this crap quickly.

Jack should personally be embarrassed he shipped any game like this... much less a CE.

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Arguing aboot clear, "new maple" PFs, drying time etc is the reason he left.

don't forget dimplegate

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

This is the real issue here. Not so much with the playfield manufacturer, rather JJP temporary workers line over tightening the posts etc too tight on a new and not fully cured playfield. Plus, when using thick clear-coat: full curing time needs to happen to allow PF to properly harden.
Every time the steel ball hits those posts, it rocks against the newly minted, not fully cured playfield and so begins the chipping, cracking and rippling. It wouldn’t matter which playfield manufacturer JJP were to use, they all would result in the same issues they have now, because of poor JJP manufacturing and over tightening of playfield items. Any playfield needs time to cure, before it is used in assembling and populating a pinball machine. It’s common sense 101.
Not seen this issue on any Stern owned by myself or friends. They have so many tables on the line, that proper curing time is given before playfield is populated and Stern experienced line workers don’t over tighten the posts etc. Cured thinner clear coats appear to be better than thicker in the science of a steel ball flying around a table at high velocities.

Sounds like you got it all figured out. You should contact JJP and get a job with them and help them out.

#169 4 years ago

Yea this isn’t over zealous tightening of posts.

#170 4 years ago

So are we moving into a new era - where instead of asking for shooter lane pics, we now should be asking for sling clear coat pics when buying a pin?

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

So you are saying that Stern goes out of their way to tell Mirco and the other playfield manufacturers they use to "not" stamp anything on the playfield that would indicate where it was made. That would make it hard for Stern to track down playfield problems and solutions.

I'm sure they have some way of knowing (date, serial, etc), but we don't anymore. At least not that I'm aware of.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Vid is here, just not as Vid. And who cares? It's not like he is any more expert than the CPR guys or High End Pins. I'd take their opinion on this any day over Vid.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, I've heard about it on TNA, but haven't seen it myself, so I left that one off.

Yeah, TNA too.

E53C5341-D183-4028-B0B5-5AC57164B266 (resized).jpegE53C5341-D183-4028-B0B5-5AC57164B266 (resized).jpeg9D65D3A8-97C1-44BE-8C91-63AEC94C7D70 (resized).jpeg9D65D3A8-97C1-44BE-8C91-63AEC94C7D70 (resized).jpeg
#174 4 years ago

I guess I dodged a bullet because my hobbit play field is good. But I will not buy a nib from JJP or stern until they address with HOW they have corrected the issue and a commitment to customers it won't happen again. Until then HUO for me with close inspection or a game built more than 4 years ago.

This effects all of us that are buying new pins.

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yea this isn’t over zealous tightening of posts.

Agreed, it’s a combination of all things considered.

#176 4 years ago

So, it happens to all manufacturers?

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I guess I dodged a bullet because my hobbit play field is good. But I will not buy a nib from JJP or stern until they address with HOW they have corrected the issue and a commitment to customers it won't happen again. Until then HUO for me with close inspection or a game built more than 4 years ago.
This effects all of us that are buying new pins.

Have had zero issues with nearly a dozen NIB purchased Sterns. Not sure why you’re putting Stern in the same category as JJP? Purchased a NIB JJP with no issues as well, but that table had been in the box for months, so clear coat was fully dried/cured.

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

No it doesn’t with Sterns from my experience, with all my purchases as NIB. People try to say all to think, oh well, doesn’t matter whose table purchased issues are the same, which simply is not true.

This thread is about JJP WW issues. People quit trying to drag other manufacturers into this thread discussion to attempt to lessen JJP’s play field troubles. It still remains POTC and Willy Wonka have major play field issues.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Not to the constant level of problem JJP is at. TNA got fixed pretty quick. Stern seems to have been hit or miss but haven’t seen their last few games have the issue.

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

No it doesn’t with Sterns from my experience, with all my purchases as NIB. People try to say all to think, oh well, doesn’t matter whose table purchased issues are the same, which simply is not true.
This thread is about JJP WW issues. People quite trying to drag other manufacturers into this thread discussion to attempt to lessen JJP’s play field troubles. It still remains POTC and Willy Wonka have major play field issues.

Multiple posts on this page show Stern's having the same issues.

Your vast experience apparently didn't read a few posts up. Also, don't call pins tables

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Fair enough, the lack of context on my part started all of this so that's on me. Regardless, JJP needs to get a handle on this now as it's been way to long and the response hasn't been remotely adequate to date. Hopefully JJP takes care of your friends situation accordingly which of course would be either a brand new machine entirely or a completely repopulated play field replacement paid for by JJP...
Jeff

okay....I am just asking this question and please dont bash me on this because I truly dont know.

What is a repopulated playfield?

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Multiple posts on this page show Stern's having the same issues.
Your vast experience apparently didn't read a few posts up. Also, don't call pins tables

They have four legs don’t they? So do tables, lol. What is a pin? Something you use in sewing? Ask 10 people on the street what a pin is and they’ll tell you for sewing. Pinball as an answer will not come up. Lol You don’t call pool tables, just pool, right??? They are tables with four legs!

Stern’s being mentioned here is by JJP fanboys, to lessen the severity of the JJP chipping issues. Maybe long ago Stern had a few issues, but as f3honda4me said, no issues on current or recent.

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

okay....I am just asking this question and please dont bash me on this because I truly dont know.
What is a repopulated playfield?

When they send you a new playfield that already has everything installed on it, all the switches, pop bumbers, toys etc. They do that because theres no way in hell the average person can swap over all of his parts from the defective playfield onto a new playfield, nor should he even have to. You get the new populated playfield and just put it in and plug all the connections in and go.

#184 4 years ago

My collection:

CGC - MMr LE, AFMr LE, MBr LE
JJP -Dialed In LE, Pirates LE, Wonka LE
Stern - BM66 premium, Deadpool LE, Iron Maiden Premium, Black Knight SOR LE

All are fantastic games. Anyone that wants to come play is welcome anytime, drinks on me.

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I was just at the boardwalk in Rehobeth DE...here's the Beatles clear with a similar issue. I'd guess the game has been there a while, but likely not played much. A neoprene washer would take care of it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Does a soft neoprene washer actually prevent more damage or does it just cover it up?

Neoprene seems way to soft to do any good. But, maybe it does work?

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Far as I know the playfield art is the same as the LE/SE, but with glitter. (ALA Woz Yellow Brick Road)

Better be more than freaking glitter...lol

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Does a soft neoprene washer actually prevent more damage or does it just cover it up?
Neoprene seems way to soft to do any good. But, maybe it does work?

Have purchased and successfully used from Pinball Life. There is a type of tiny flex action that helps when the steel ball hits posts. But green, thickly coated, uncured play fields are still going to be an issue no matter what you try.

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Could you post some pics of your CE w no PF issues? In truth, I have not seen one...hence my cancellation of WonkaCE awhile back...

I just finished modding out my POTC CE and Indont think I have any playfield issues...but I am going to check and I will check all my other JJP ones as well.

The only thing I noticed on my Dialed In CE was they left the freaking part numbers on the artwork for the playfield and the topper as well...Those should have been removed before they printed those.

#189 4 years ago

I just finished modding out my POTC CE and Indont think I have any playfield issues...but I am going to check and I will check all my other JJP ones as well.
The only thing I noticed on my Dialed In CE was they left the freaking part numbers on the artwork for the playfield and the topper as well...Those should have been removed before they printed those.

Actually most all keep the number there for future part identification, when ordering new parts.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Have purchased and successfully used from Pinball Life. There is a type of tiny flex action that helps when the steel ball hits.

Could you post a link to the ones you purchased from pinball life?

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

When they send you a new playfield that already has everything installed on it, all the switches, pop bumbers, toys etc. They do that because theres no way in hell the average person can swap over all of his parts from the defective playfield onto a new playfield, nor should he even have to. You get the new populated playfield and just put it in and plug all the connections in and go.

I think that is a fair resolution....makes sense. Do they do that for those with playfield issues?

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Could you post a link to the ones you purchased from pinball life?

Sure thing: https://www.pinballlife.com/clear-petg-fender-washers.html

#193 4 years ago

I think that is a fair resolution....makes sense. Do they do that for those with playfield issues?

Stern has done it for quite a few people but it looks like JJP won't do it, which is one of the reasons that i would never even consider buying a game off of them.

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Ask 10 people on the street what a pin is and they’ll tell you for sewing.

thats not the answer you will get from dan gable.

gablespin (resized).jpggablespin (resized).jpg
#195 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

This thread is about JJP WW issues. People quit trying to drag other manufacturers into this thread discussion to attempt to lessen JJP’s play field troubles. It still remains POTC and Willy Wonka have major play field issues.

No, it's not true that it doesn't happen to Sterns. GotG, Iron Maiden, and Beatles ALL have bunching of the clear, and Iron Maiden has chipping to the wood. The DIFFERENCE is Stern seems to rotate between 3 suppliers of playfields so the amount of playfields with the issue is MUCH less.

But yeah, Stern DEFINITELY has the issue if you're unlucky enough to get one of the "bad" playfield manufacters in their playfield russian roulette.

#196 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Zero issues w my AlienLE or WOZECLE pf's.....something has changed...

There was something wrong with all three Alien play fields I had. two out of three play fields had the wear at the scoop from the ball slamming the playfield on eject.

#197 4 years ago

Those aren't neoprene. Those are pet-g.

Neoprene is a soft rubber that they make wetsuits out of. That's why I was asking if they really work, because I wouldn't think they'd be hard enough to support a post.

I can see pet-g working though.

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

There was something wrong with all three Alien play fields I had. two out of three play fields had the wear at the scoop from the ball slamming the playfield on eject.

Wear, or chipping? Early models didn't have the scoop protector.....

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No, it's not true that it doesn't happen to Sterns. GotG, Iron Maiden, and Beatles ALL have bunching of the clear, and Iron Maiden has chipping to the wood. The DIFFERENCE is Stern seems to rotate between 3 suppliers of playfields so the amount of playfields with the issue is MUCH less.
But yeah, Stern DEFINITELY has the issue if you're unlucky enough to get one of the "bad" playfield manufacters in their playfield russian roulette.

The main difference here is in the rare playfield issue with Stern, they replace the playfield no issues. JJP only sends out washer kit to hide the problem, not replace the playfield.

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

They have four legs don’t they? So do tables, lol. What is a pin? Something you use in sewing? Ask 10 people on the street what a pin is and they’ll tell you for sewing. Pinball as an answer will not come up. Lol
Stern’s being mentioned here is by JJP fanboys, to lessen the severity of the JJP chipping issues. Maybe long ago Stern had a few issues, but as f3honda4me said, no issues on current or recent.

Ask ten people on the same street what a table is. Pinball as an answer will not come up. Ask anyone on a pinball forum what a pin is - one person will think of sewing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,600 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 91.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.50
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-/page/4?hl=jimwe5t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.