(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 2,217 posts
  • 272 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 days ago by Pinhead1982
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 217 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2217 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 45.
#1801 80 days ago

Progress pics. Both of my star posts have now blistered and chipped. I have blistering on most of the rest of the play field as well. Pretty much any post that's screwed into the field.

1900 plays. I took possession of the pin on July 18th, and the pin sat unplayed for more than a week while I waited for replacement opto boards. So basically 5 weeks of service.

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

left-post.jpg

right-post.jpg

#1802 80 days ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Progress pics. Both of my star posts have now blistered and chipped. I have blistering on most of the rest of the play field as well. Pretty much any post that's screwed into the field.
1900 plays. I took possession of the pin on July 18th, and the pin sat unplayed for more than a week while I waited for replacement opto boards. So basically 5 weeks of service.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

You actually got a clear coat case #? I wasn’t given that.

#1803 80 days ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

You actually got a clear coat case #? I wasn’t given that.

I opened a support case on their website. Every one of my support cases gets a ticket number. I would assume the same would be true for you too. The one I opened with them concerning my clear coat issues is that number. I have several other support cases with them, but most of the rest of them have all been closed/resolved.

I still have another case regarding airballs that I'm annoyed with - their response to my factory ramp airballs was to turn down my flipper coils. Um, no thanks. I've heard some reports that they've shipped some other games with a ramp cover to help with this. Not sure if that's the "standard" going forward now or not, but whatever is being done for future games released needs to be made available to those of us early adopters who don't have it.

#1804 80 days ago

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Have any pix of the wrinkling around the other posts?

My observations so far have shown a distinct pattern that show they are likely to chip on the side opposite of the high power ball strike. Curious to see if that holds true in your example too since you say you have a lot of the wrinkling.

I’m theorizing the blisters form from the squeezing compression... but maybe stable until the post’s movement “pops it”. If that theory holds... washers would help because the washer should isolate some of that impact movement. Especially the neoprene ones. So maybe we lose some post rigidity, but we end up with wrinkles that are stable.

#1805 80 days ago
Quoted from underlord:

Does that actually play the wreck it Ralph game?

Going to need this guy working soon for JJP

38AC2D06-2850-4A35-AC0C-1661DC29CF88 (resized).png
#1806 79 days ago

I opened a support case on their website. Every one of my support cases gets a ticket number. I would assume the same would be true for you too. The one I opened with them concerning my clear coat issues is that number. I have several other support cases with them, but most of the rest of them have all been closed/resolved.
I still have another case regarding airballs that I'm annoyed with - their response to my factory ramp airballs was to turn down my flipper coils. Um, no thanks. I've heard some reports that they've shipped some other games with a ramp cover to help with this. Not sure if that's the "standard" going forward now or not, but whatever is being done for future games released needs to be made available to those of us early adopters who don't have it.

I think the plastic guards were shipping out on LE's. I'd imagine, hope, they'd give you one for a standard.

Quoted from TonyScoots:

Going to need this guy working soon for JJP[quoted image]

That is not Richie Wrench.....

#1807 79 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Come on down and see what the buzz is about... https://super.magfest.org/gaming/arcade

Very cool.

#1808 79 days ago

HEY EVERYONE...!!!!

My ban has expired and I am back and can post back on this thread....So....What is the latest?

#1809 79 days ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

Going to need this guy working soon for JJP[quoted image]

U mean this guy...Richie.

20181019_214553 (resized).jpg
#1810 79 days ago

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Really appreciate the honesty and good on you for posting your issue. I feel really bad seeing pictures like this, makes my stomach churn and turn. Playfield issues are the absolute worst feeling in Pinball. I sincerely hope everything works out for you and JJP look after you.

#1811 79 days ago

Man I really feel for you cause I knew how excited you where to get it. Hope it works out for you. I really really wanted to pick one of these up soon. Now I’m scared I’ll be in the same boat. Think I will pass until this all plays out one way or another.

#1812 79 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Have any pix of the wrinkling around the other posts?
My observations so far have shown a distinct pattern that show they are likely to chip on the side opposite of the high power ball strike. Curious to see if that holds true in your example too since you say you have a lot of the wrinkling.
I’m theorizing the blisters form from the squeezing compression... but maybe stable until the post’s movement “pops it”. If that theory holds... washers would help because the washer should isolate some of that impact movement. Especially the neoprene ones. So maybe we lose some post rigidity, but we end up with wrinkles that are stable.

Here's 7 more. I can't get any decent pictures of others without disassembly.

post3 (resized).jpg

post4 (resized).jpg

post5 (resized).jpg

post6 (resized).jpg

post7 (resized).jpg

post9 (resized).jpg

#1813 79 days ago

These are the biggest waves i have seen so far, ready to chip.

Oh man so sorry for you.

That shit is going and going and going.

#1814 79 days ago

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thx for those. It's interesting in your examples many of them are wrinkling only on one side. It's hard to get the perspective in the tight shots.. but would you say the wrinkling is mostly on the side opposite of ball travel/impact?

#1815 79 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Thx for those. It's interesting in your examples many of them are wrinkling only on one side. It's hard to get the perspective in the tight shots.. but would you say the wrinkling is mostly on the side opposite of ball travel/impact?

Whatever side of the post is under tension from a rubber, that side is "more squished." Any post that is not under tension, the blistering is pretty much uniform all around the post.

#1816 79 days ago

Whatever side of the post is under tension from a rubber, that side is "more squished." Any post that is not under tension, the blistering is pretty much uniform all around the post.

Not knowing what jjp will do for this, I’d put rubber washers under all those posts and hand tighten them down, that should prevent further damage.

#1817 79 days ago

An interesting observation.. and helps orient those photos too. Very nice.

#1818 79 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Not knowing what jjp will do for this, I’d put rubber washers under all those posts and hand tighten them down, that should prevent further damage.

I'm not taking ANYTHING apart until I hear back from JJP on how this is getting handled.

#1819 79 days ago

I'm not taking ANYTHING apart until I hear back from JJP on how this is getting handled.

I wouldn’t play the game until you know what jjp will do. It’s possible it could get worse without washers underneath.

#1820 79 days ago

Per request, I can't discuss the details of my back and forth communication between me, my distributor, and JJP. But I AM still playing my game. Frequently.

#1821 79 days ago

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

that sucks dood, fingers crossed JJP look after you.

#1822 79 days ago

thanks for sharing. There is no way in hell that's an acceptable game. Its shocking!

#1823 79 days ago

Gag order/request is in effect.....

#1824 79 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Gag order/request is in effect.....

Rest assured, I'm honoring that request at the behest of my distributor more than JJP. I really don't want to see any of the distributors harmed during this debacle. Jersey (AND STERN!!) need to make this right for the affected customers. I believe in two paths forward:

Either the problem is isolated (as THEY claim, not me) and it will be a small financial hit to take care of the "few" affected play fields,

- OR -

The issue is more widespread (this is my opinion) and an umbrella insurance policy had better be in effect, lest we see insolvency in trying to mitigate the damage.

Either way, I'm trying to be patient. This is a big problem that requires a big corporate solution, which will require some time. Like months to years, not weeks or days. But my patience has limits. If and when I get past that point, my contributions to this discussion are going to make things get ugly. Very ugly. Not the path I want to take. Honey versus vinegar, and all that jazz.

All that said, know this: I can be very persistent when I need to be.

Any of you local to me should ask me to tell you my (long-winded) story about my "lifetime warranty" windshield wipers I purchased in 2006. I'll gladly share the story with you over a beer to provide you with some perspective as to just how far I'll go with a manufacturer to get what I want.

#1825 79 days ago

Per request, I can't discuss the details of my back and forth communication between me, my distributor, and JJP.

It's always this hush-hush crap in the pinball industry. Back when my MMR playfield was so bad that CGC drove a populated playfield to my house and swapped it, I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement. But I don't give a shit anymore. NDAs are barely worth the paper they're printed on.

#1826 79 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

It's always this hush-hush crap in the pinball industry. Back when my MMR playfield was so bad that CGC drove a populated playfield to my house and swapped it, I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement. But I don't give a shit anymore. NDAs are barely worth the paper they're printed on.

I would GLADLY sign a NDA for an exchange to a pin with a properly cleared play field. Absolutely. You would never hear from me on this topic again.

#1827 79 days ago

I would GLADLY sign a NDA for an exchange to a pin with a properly cleared play field

Would you then make anyone that plays your game sign an NDA with you? It'll come out eventually but I guess I'd keep my trap shut until I got the replacement as well...then maybe a friend of a friend says he heard about this guy etc.

#1828 78 days ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

These are the biggest waves i have seen so far

You've never been to Waimea Bay, have you?

download (resized).jpg
#1829 78 days ago

Good luck to you STG2. I'm with ya pal.

#1830 78 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

For me, most every slingshot pic I've seen as the wrinkling TOWARDS the area the rubber is pulling the post. Which makes sense, as the sling coil puts pressure on the post in that direction as well. I'm not so certain this is "ball impact", but simply tension over and over as a ball hits the slingshot.

#1831 78 days ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

For me, most every slingshot pic I've seen as the wrinkling TOWARDS the area the rubber is pulling the post. Which makes sense, as the sling coil puts pressure on the post in that direction as well. I'm not so certain this is "ball impact", but simply tension over and over as a ball hits the slingshot.

The sling rubber itself puts constant tension on the post. I'm sure the ball being flipped into the post and the sling coil hitting the rubber all play a role in why the post is canting a bit to the inside. Again, not an issue if the clear is actually set up rock hard as it should be.

#1832 78 days ago

Just take a forstner bit the same size as the base of whatever post and drill off the clearcoat down to wood, install spacer to whatever height of clear and reinstall the post.

Should be done at factory during assembly, but here we are

#1833 78 days ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Just take a forstner bit the same size as the base of whatever post and drill off the clearcoat down to wood, install spacer to whatever height of clear and reinstall the post.
Should be done at factory during assembly, but here we are

This exactly. If they can't get to the bottom of the issue with soft clearcoat, it seems to me that they should be doing this on every machine that leaves the assembly line until the issue is figured out.

#1834 78 days ago

I wonder out loud if drilling the clear will lead to ripping and tearing of the soft clear

#1835 78 days ago

All that said, know this: I can be very persistent when I need to be.
Any of you local to me should ask me to tell you my (long-winded) story about my "lifetime warranty" windshield wipers I purchased in 2006. I'll gladly share the story with you over a beer to provide you with some perspective as to just how far I'll go with a manufacturer to get what I want.

Very similar to the J C Penney "Lifetime Battery". Sold in the '60's and '70's. Warranted to the original owner of the vehicle only. It sure cost them a bundle. They actually had the claim processing office in the Empire State Building until the early 1990's. Basically the only ones left after 30 years were in collector's cars. Not sure if Firestone (who bought all the JC Penney auto centers) still honors the warranty.

#1836 78 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I wonder out loud if drilling the clear will lead to ripping and tearing of the soft clear

Not if a proper (forstner) bit is used, it will cleanly cut through even soft clear, then seal the edge with CA glue.. The problem is that a forstner bit requires a very small guide hole, the holes in the playfields under the posts are too large of a diameter. The bit would wobble and wander, the results would be ugly.
This could be done at the factory, but not for the end user.

#1837 78 days ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Not if a proper (forstner) bit is used, it will cleanly cut through even soft clear, then seal the edge with CA glue.. The problem is that a forstner bit requires a very small guide hole, the holes in the playfields under the posts are too large of a diameter. The bit would wobble and wander, the results would be ugly.
This could be done at the factory, but not for the end user.

Or they could just use a quality clear coat.

#1838 78 days ago
Quoted from Nikonokin:

And the very 1st post of this thread...my buddy is going to report this Monday (later) but 1st let me cry and tell everyone already before they have a chance to make it right, before I report it, thus damaging 1 of the very few pinball manufacturers left before they can even explain or possibly fix with no issues. Cry me a river...

FYI Reported nearly three weeks ago and still no response. If it doesn’t affect you and/or doesn’t bother you, why are you here? Punch back into work at JJP and carry on.

#1839 78 days ago
Quoted from rs812:

FYI Reported nearly three weeks ago and still no response. If it doesn’t affect you and/or doesn’t bother you, why are you here? Punch back into work at JJP and carry on.

JJP will not make it right. Too long already. Why people continue to buy from them has me puzzled. Epic customer support failure.

#1840 78 days ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

JJP will not make it right. Too long already. Why people continue to buy from them has me puzzled. Epic customer support failure.

Check out the POTC playfield thread.
We have an LE owner there with an monster size chip gone. Jack himself supposedly denied him, case closed.

#1841 78 days ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Or they could just use a quality clear coat.

Where in their margins can they find the ability to afford ''quality'' clearcoat

You know, without a doubt, they will just raise the prices to $13.5k and boast about some hard bs ''Diamond plate 2.0''. How people justify the price of these pins I will never understand.

#1842 78 days ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Check out the POTC playfield thread.
We have an LE owner there with an monster size chip gone. Jack himself supposedly denied him, case closed.

Holy crap.

#1843 78 days ago

I doubt this is true

I am sure Jack would go bat for people with upper Management for a resolution

#1844 78 days ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

I doubt this is true
I am sure Jack would go bat for people with upper Management for a resolution

Well, for some reason it just isn’t happening yet. In the past I would agree with you. I just posted a couple of my photos in the POTC thread with game and case number like you requested we all do. It’s real and for the POTC owners going on 6-8 months of nothing now from JJP.

#1845 78 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Well, for some reason it just isn’t happening yet. In the past I would agree with you. I just posted a couple of my photos in the POTC thread with game and case number like you requested we all do. It’s real and for the POTC owners going on 6-8 months of nothing now from JJP.

There is no reason for not replying to you, normally log a ticket with support, call them or email them, the normal response would be

A. The problem to your game is minor and we have a service kit to repair or cover any damage, if the problem continues we have your report logged
B. The problem requires a replacement playfield and will contact you when one is available
C. We are working with your Distributor to repair or replace your game.

I am pretty sure All Manufacturers who have an issue are looking to resolve any issues before offering a resolution, but should at least assure the issue will be resolved.

#1846 78 days ago

There is no reason for not replying to you, normally log a ticket with support, call them or email them, the normal response would be
A. The problem to your game is minor and we have a service kit to repair or cover any damage, if the problem continues we have your report logged
B. The problem requires a replacement playfield and will contact you when one is available
C. We are working with your Distributor to repair or replace your game.
I am pretty sure All Manufacturers who have an issue are looking to resolve any issues before offering a resolution, but should at least assure the issue will be resolved.

No offense seriously, but you are dreaming. JJP is not standing behind their games. I doubt Stern is going to be any different either since so many games have been affected. These playfields are total shit and i would venture to say that almost all games that have been made in the last two years have pooling and or chipping.

#1847 78 days ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No offense seriously, but you are dreaming. JJP is not standing behind their games. I doubt Stern is going to be any different either since so many games have been affected. These playfields are total shit and i would venture to say that almost all games that have been made in the last two years have pooling and or chipping.

I can assure you they are and will, I am sure they are looking into any issues

Be Patient and Polite gets you further.

#1848 78 days ago

I can assure you they are and will, I am sure they are looking into any issues
Be Patient and Polite gets you further.

I can assure you that they are already telling lots and lots of people that they aren’t going to fix their games. Their solution is to send them a unpopulated playfield for 550.00 dollars, which is totally unacceptable. Go over to the POTC thread and ask those guys how many of them have been sent a new populated playfield. The answer is NONE!

#1849 78 days ago

This looks like a similar problem, proven artwork produced 1,000s of times nothing changed in production but this one fitted by an idiot

not prepped the surface correctly either used solvent based sealer or didn't allow enough time to degass before fitting decals

after fitting looked great, then after days and weeks a reaction

RFM04 (resized).jpgrfm1 (resized).jpg
#1850 78 days ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I can assure you that they are already telling lots and lots of people that they aren’t going to fix their games. Their solution is to send them a unpopulated playfield for 550.00 dollars, which is totally unacceptable. Go over to the POTC thread and ask those guys how many of them have been sent a new populated playfield. The answer is NONE!

I am sure they will only replace the defective part the playfield not a populated Playfield unless really bad

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,500.00
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 2217 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 45.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside