(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 45.
#1501 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

perhaps its time for one of the investors to step in as the new pitchman. what about michael strahan? he used to play for the NJ giants.[quoted image]

That’s my buddy Cancro. Unlike these shady coin-op manufacturers, he knows how to run a business.

#1502 4 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

Page 30.....
I am still out...Wow JJP is this for real.
Inam already starting to look at other games..

Good luck man

#1503 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

For a 3D print (on standard FDM machines) you want as much flat printing surface as possible.
So yeah a star post with a few mm removed at bottom to clear the ridge. Star post would have a hollow shaft inside.
Then another shaft with a bottom flange that fits inside the 3D printed star post. This gives you the clearance you need for pooling and flat bottomed parts that will print easily.[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work!

That is a really great option. I would probably buy a few and I don't have too bad an issue on my PoTC.

#1504 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Not playing your games to keep the resale value high is like not sleeping with your girl to keep her tight for the next guy.

Post of the decade

#1505 4 years ago

The more I read Jack's statement and listen to the recording, the more I get annoyed
Here's my reading between the lines

Jack's statement transcribed from the podcast -
"Alright, well first off I just want to apologize for the delay in speaking about this matter publicly as we sorted through things internally and we understand that some of our customers are concerned to see and hear of clear coat chipping around posts on our Willy Wonka game.

This has been going on for a long time and were hoping it would not be a big deal to customers but now that it is and we never addressed it in the past were were not sure what to say.

The number of actual cases we have seen with true playfield chipping is extremely low and we're in the process of developing a program for anyone with documented damage and will work with those customers on a case-by-case basis and, you know, feel free to call Tech Support or call me directly if you feel your machine has true chipping or damage. And we want you to feel confident and comfortable with your purchase, always.

You complaints are in the minority, you are making issues out of something that should not be. We are trying to figure out how to respond to people in the correct way and tell them what they have is normal and we can sell them a PF if they really think it's an issue

We want to notify customers NOT to take apart their machine, remove posts, etc, for the sole purpose of looking for chipping or problems under the posts. If you truly need to remove any part of the machine, we recommend contacting JJP Tech Support for instructions on how to do this properly. And for those customers who see rippling or pooling around any post, we want to urge you, this does not mean your game will chip.

Please don't look for issues in your games. We are shipping games with washers to hide the issues and we don't need you pesky owners discovering things our engineers have worked hard to cover up. If you happen to see issues, don't worry, all is good in the world and the pooling will never end in chipping. If it does end in chipping, we hope it's after you sold the game so we are not accountable to the second owner

We're diligently working with our vendor and engineers day and night on correcting any pooling moving forward. We have no reason to believe any games out there in the field are inadequate in any way, shape, or form. You should continue to enjoy and play your amazing game.

Please keep buying our machines and paying us ridiculous amounts of money despite our quality issues. If you got a game with "issues" it's fine, don't complain because it doesn't interfere with your enjoyment. Please just ignore the issue like we have.

Our company's put countless hours and efforts into making Willy Wonka a fun experience for you and your loved ones to appreciate for years to come. I mean really, our people work hard every day with passion to design and create amazing games for you to play. As we always have, we will stand by our product and support our loyal customers and I can tell you that'll never change.
Thank you"

Every since pinside made a stink about this, we have been figuring out what to say. Our games are the best and you can still play the game with a chipped PF. If you are not happy with our defective PF's we will stand behind them and sell you a new one for $500

I'm sorry, but at this point you have to be insane to give JJP $12,500 for a CE. My props to RichieWrench for being vocal and leading the charge of not buying another JJP game until current owners with defective PF's are taken care of. I feel bad for Jack, it's a difficult situation for a company to be in and can cost them a lot of money. But, if they spent some money after the POC issue to find and fix it then, it would of saved them even more money now. I love this hobby, but it's only a want for me, not a need & I definitely don't need to deal with bad PF's.

This is a huge opportunity for someone to come in and steal JJP's thunder ...... DeepRoot?

#1506 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Look at all the table chipping photos above. Chips/pooling is at the base of the old Bally/Williams star posts, which JJP uses exclusively (Stern has used them in the past, I know). Unless someone has an example, haven’t seen that issue with Sterns newer regular thinner posts, that don’t have such a large foot print that constantly torques on the surface of the playfield, as the heavy steel ball hits the post with high velocity.
The large surface foot print contact area of the Bally/Williams star posts might also have something to do with these problems than we might suspect? Every time those slings are hit, the large star post begins slight rocking/torquing on the playfield surface. Do it enough times and you’ll break the coating of nearly any table with brittle uncured clear coat.

How can you be so consistently wrong? It’s a talent.

#1507 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

My god, you’re as insufferable as you are dead wrong .

Dude never stops this is his job!

#1508 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

For a 3D print (on standard FDM machines) you want as much flat printing surface as possible.
So yeah a star post with a few mm removed at bottom to clear the ridge. Star post would have a hollow shaft inside.
Then another shaft with a bottom flange that fits inside the 3D printed star post. This gives you the clearance you need for pooling and flat bottomed parts that will print easily.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wonder if someone could find something over at Marco's as DIY fix. Like this, but maybe add a small, slightly larger washer at the base for stability. Then slip the star post over it. Just food for thought. No clue on the dimensions needed.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1509 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Not playing your games to keep the resale value high is like not sleeping with your girl to keep her tight for the next guy.

LOL...ok you got me!

But I'm ok for pinball, have plenty of others to play...and I'm good for other action too

Seriously, I'm good with letting the fucker sit and get good and hard. It's not going anywhere, it's a great game. Who knows what sort of other things will start developing with these playfields? I'd rather be safe at this point, nobody knows anything and the manufacturers are providing zero answers or guidance.

#1510 4 years ago

JJP Disclaimer

1) Let the fucker sit and get good and hard

2) Never take off the glass and touch anything

3) What POTC?

4) ...

#1511 4 years ago

a great place to spend some time right now -
your local country club.
most provide safe spaces.

nochipping04 (resized).jpgnochipping04 (resized).jpg
#1512 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Look at all the table chipping photos above. Chips/pooling is at the base of the old Bally/Williams star posts, which JJP uses exclusively (Stern has used them in the past, I know). Unless someone has an example, haven’t seen that issue with Sterns newer regular thinner posts, that don’t have such a large foot print that constantly torques on the surface of the playfield, as the heavy steel ball hits the post with high velocity.
The large surface foot print contact area of the Bally/Williams star posts might also have something to do with these problems than we might suspect? Every time those slings are hit, the large star post begins slight rocking/torquing on the playfield surface. Do it enough times and you’ll break the coating of nearly any table with brittle uncured clear coat.

My JP2 has minor pooling at one of the narrow sling posts. Doesn't bother me, I covered with a rubber washer, rest of playfield doesn't show any clear issues, but it's there on this post.

IMG_20190828_211600 (resized).jpgIMG_20190828_211600 (resized).jpg
#1513 4 years ago

Has anyone seen pooling where there's no art? The fix for Wonka could have been as simple as not printing art everywhere you have a post, like the slings on Munsters or ACNC. Do I give a shit that the art doesn't go under the post? Nope.

I don't recall seeing images of pooling where there's no art but I could be wrong...

#1514 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder if someone could find something over at Marco's as DIY fix. Like this, but maybe add a small, slightly larger washer at the base for stability. Then slip the star post over it. Just food for thought. No clue on the dimensions needed.[quoted image]

The idea is very much like the metal spacers you put inside the pinball legs to keep them from actually touching the cab art.

Basically some sort of flange hiding the true edge.

#1515 4 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

If I was a less mature person, I would probably assume you’re some mouth breathing incel on a fifth grade reading level that spends the majority of his sad existence antagonizing people on an online forum ....BUT I would NEVER call you those things because that would be against the site rules and would be extremely rude of me.

Thank christ we can skirt the rules with statements like that.

#1516 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

contacting JJP Tech Support for instructions on how to do this properly

Seriously.... contact tech support to learn how to properly remove a post? Is this really any more complicated than "hold the post still while unscrewing/rescrewing it so it doesn't torque the playfield" LOL.... If the day EVER comes where Jack doesn't talk down to the community like we're a bunch of clueless rubes, I might really have a heart attack. Shifting blame back to the customers. Priceless.

#1517 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Thank christ we can skirt the rules with statements like that.

frax, part of the problem is, many of us cant.

lately, the site has been fraught with violations, but unless someone reports them, or you are on suicide watch

#1518 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Seriously.... contact tech support to learn how to properly remove a post?

I think it’s more for emotional support after you see what’s under those posts.

#1519 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

After 3 calls noone has been in contact with me.

Sounds like you are back to square one.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#1520 4 years ago

The world is watching JJP.

If you spend 10k on a new game and it chips, without you running a screw driver over it, then yeah you got a claim CALL THAT SUPPLIER DEMAND A REPLACEMENT! However most of the pictures i see show no chips, and people taking their games apart, saying this is what is going to happen. Play the game and if you have a problem or if ever there is a problem you call the supplier and talk to them directly. I do hope anyone who does experience a chipped playfield from any supplier get their issues resolved. You should get a new playfield free of charge. However I have a friend with 6000 plays on his Pirates no chips, no scratches nothing... mine has 2000 plus plays no chips no scratches. There are lemons for everything, if you got one call the supplier but making drastic over the top comments like the WORLD IS WATCHING? WHAT?

However the WORLD is watching... people might have their homes destroyed TODAY in a hurricane and yes the World is watching and praying for those people.

To all the people on the Southeast coasts, I hope everyone is safe in Florida, South Carolina, etc. STAY SAFE!!!!

#1521 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

If you spend 10k on a new game and it chips, without you running a screw driver over it, then yeah you got a claim CALL THAT SUPPLIER DEMAND A REPLACEMENT! However most of the pictures i see show no chips, and people taking their games apart, saying this is what is going to happen. Play the game and if you have a problem or if ever there is a problem you call the supplier and talk to them directly. I do hope anyone does experience a chipped playfield from any supplier get their issues resolved. You should get a new playfield free of charge. However I have a friend with 6000 plays on his Pirates no chips, no scratches nothing... mine has 2000 plus plays no chips no scratches. There are lemons for everything, if you got one call the supplier but making drastic over the top comments like the WORLD IS WATCHING? WHAT?
However as the the WORLD is watching... people might have their homes destroyed TODAY in a hurricane and yes the World is watching and praying for those people.
To all the people on the Southeast coasts, I hope everyone is safe in Florida, South Carolina, etc. STAY SAFE!!!!

I’ve played 5 potc’s on location this summer and 2 Wonka’s so far. The potcs had various chipping and not just at slings. The wonkas were not chipped yet but had bubbling/rippling.

I’d like to see pics of a 6000 game POTC with no wear.

#1522 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’d like to see pics of a 6000 game POTC with no wear.

You got it... but that is a drive for me but I'm going to get them. However let me start with my Pirates. I'm going to take a picture of the plays, then every post, every sling, every everything. I'd be happy to share. There is also another guy on here from my area who took a shot at me, essentially calling me a liar.

I sent him a private message offering my home address... I told him we'd slide the glass off, he can document every square inch. He didn't reply.

Typical!

When I go into pincades, all those machines playfields are beat up, they're played NON-STOP. There is a Kiss restaurant here in STL they have a single Kiss pinball game, that playfield is TOAST and I mean TOAST! I'm going to get pictures... you won't even believe it. The game is on free play which explains everything. Paint on cars go bad if you let them sit out in the rain ... eventually everything goes bad when you abuse it.

But my friends pirates is flawless after 6,000 plays. Its just a fact... eventually will something go wrong yeah probably. Its a piece of wood with metal balls flying all over it... if playfields don't eventually go bad then why are their people re-making playfields? Just saying.

That is not to say anyone should accept something defective you shouldn't ...

#1523 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

In theory it's a great idea but the problem is that a star post is mostly hollow. You are reducing support on the outside edge where it is most important. This would only work well if the star post was solid. It would be far simpler to use two steel washers. One upper one that is the same diameter as the star post and will support the outside edges and a second lower washer, probably a #10 size, to space up the assembly but keep the lower washer well within the diameter of the upper washer so the outside edge of the upper washer does not touch the playfield. Or, someone could make solid star posts and then only one slightly undersized washer underneath it would be needed to keep the outside edges of the star post from touching the playfield.

the washer idea does support the inner and outer of a star post,

Quoted from benheck:

Cool idea Swinks but it's not very "3D printable" that bottom curve would barely resolve on a machine and also not a good flat printing base.
What if it were 2 pieces? The slightly wider star post but with the bottom 2mm or so removed to stay above the rippled clear, then a shaft and flange that fits inside that to provide the actual base and clearance?
You'd print 2 parts but they'd both have flat bottoms.

you are right with a 1mm thick washer, the curved section is 0.7mm of that and probably would hit the rippled clear hence the option in increase the washer thickness to 1.5 - 2mm to increase the ripple clearance or print with a step instead of the curve but I was worried of lifting the o-ring higher. My concept would be printed flat side down and you would go for 0.05-0.1mm printing steps

Quoted from mbwalker:

I made a similar comment a few pages back in the thread. I was thinking along the lines of a metal standoff inside the post.
[quoted image]

along the same lines as Ben and I and yours was the first issued idea, but I was thinking with yours and then later Bens is you then require a spacer and then a custom star post so you may as well just do a custom star post with the step in it.

Quoted from benheck:

as above the negative is now making 2 parts but the positive it keeps the rubber in the same location.

ideally in merging all these ideas together is if a custom starpost was designed to keep the rubber at the same height but with a step on the underside to clear the clearcoat pooling / ripple you would have a bandaid fix - now just to get injection molded ones is the next challenge.

#1524 4 years ago

Maybe Spooky and Stern could work out a trade deal:
Spooky will give stern the secret to keeping the clear from pooling or chipping. In return, stern hands over the Godzilla license win win?

#1525 4 years ago

The world is watching JJP.

Holy cow Richie Wrench you called it ... the World is watching. I just saw on the news that North Korea's leader is now making threats against JJP, and will test fire some rockets as a warning. Who knows what country will be the next as the WORLD IS WATCHING this situation. That is how crazy this thread has got... not just pinside is watching but the entire WORLD all 6 billion plus of you! lol. Does this line sound crazy to anyone?

I say again the World is watching, as a massive hurricane is about to slam into peoples homes, creating billions of dollars in damage and possible lives lost. Everyone be safe the World is watching and praying for you!!!

#1526 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Spooky will give stern the secret to keeping the clear from pooling or chipping. In return, stern hands over the Godzilla license win win?

As for Godzilla you must be crazy... Godzilla I want to see a Godzilla game with great CGI on the screen, movie clips, over the top toys, amazing artwork, unique mechs, and you want to ship it to Spooky? HUH?

Did I miss something? No we haven't slipped off the edge we dived off the edge into a volcano.

#1527 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

As for Godzilla you must be crazy... Godzilla I want to see a Godzilla game with great CGI on the screen, movie clips, over the top toys, amazing artwork, unique mechs, and you want to ship it to Spooky? HUH?
Did I miss something? Now we've slipped this deep off the edge!

and u think Stern will secure the movie rights? just look at JP...basically ZERO movie assets...its basically a dinosaur them with the JP logo and them song....such a disappointment for a well designed game

#1528 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

and u think Stern will secure the movie rights? just look at JP...basically ZERO movie assets...its basically a dinosaur them with the JP logo and them song....such a disappointment for a well designed game

Hey we agree and I'll go one further why did they do Deadpool. I'm betting not one person who worked at Stern had ever even heard of Deadpool until the movie came out. The game was driven by the popularity of the movie, and its not about the movie. HUH.

This new Dino theme I'm calling it DINO THEME, because it has NOTHING to do with Jurassic Park NOTHING.

JJP was savagely beaten over the head about Pirates not having enough movie integration and now Wonka doesn't have enough... but Deadpool has ZERO and their new game doesn't even use JP artwork. I'm like huh? You must be kidding to rip on Wonka for not enough with JP has ZERO!

So I agree with you... I didn't say I want Stern to do Godzilla, just saying I don't want to see Spooky do it. That has to be a joke who knows.

BTW Stern can do a great job of integration when they put out the effort. See Batman 66, even though technically they didn't do it, it was still great.

#1529 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

...along the same lines as Ben and I and yours was the first issued idea, but I was thinking with yours and then later Bens is you then require a spacer and then a custom star post so you may as well just do a custom star post with the step in it.

Wasn't try to point out I was first. Just thought you or Ben might have missed it, given the number of comments popping up on this thread. It sort of went unnoticed at the time, so I thought I'd do a quick Snipit since the topic came up again. I was originally hoping the star post had a solid bottom, then a simple, smaller washer would have been a great way to take care of the issue. But as I suspected, Murphy confirmed it was hollow. Wonder if a solid base star post was ever used on a pin that might work? Part of my original thinking was a way an owner could reuse their star post so they could do the mod quickly with parts purchased at a local hardware store.

#1530 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Wasn't try to point out I was first. Just thought you or Ben might have missed it, given the number of comments popping up on this thread. It sort of went unnoticed at the time, so I thought I'd do a quick Snipit since the topic came up again. I was originally hoping the star post had a solid bottom, then a simple, smaller washer would have been a great way to take care of the issue. But as I suspected, Murphy confirmed it was hollow. Wonder if a solid base star post was ever used on a pin that might work?

no dramas, you were the first with a concept that has merit and it did go un-commented

as for a solid post I think it comes down to cost of plastic and then possibly light dispersion.

#1531 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I just saw on the news that North Korea's leader is now making threats against JJP, and will test fire some rockets as a warning.

Trump's taking him a Spooky game, so not to worry...

#1532 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Hey we agree and I'll go one further why did they do Deadpool. I'm betting not one person who worked at Stern had ever even heard of Deadpool until the movie came out. The game was driven by the popularity of the movie, and its not about the movie. HUH.
This new Dino theme I'm calling it DINO THEME, because it has NOTHING to do with Jurassic Park NOTHING.
JJP was savagely beaten over the head about Pirates not having enough movie integration and now Wonka doesn't have enough... but Deadpool has ZERO and their new game doesn't even use JP artwork. I'm like huh? You must be kidding to rip on Wonka for not enough with JP has ZERO!
So I agree with you... I didn't say I want Stern to do Godzilla, just saying I don't want to see Spooky do it. That has to be a joke who knows.
BTW Stern can do a great job of integration when they put out the effort. See Batman 66, even though technically they didn't do it, it was still great.

I agree they could do a great job of integration, and BM66 is a great game....the great thing about Stern is they pump out games....the bad thing is they are very cheap when it comes to securing rights (BM being the exception)....who knows maybe the rights to Godzilla are cheap so its a mute point.

#1533 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Godzilla are cheap so its a mute point.

You know what Jurassic Park all those Dino's and stuff are 110% CGI and they couldn't use them... so not looking up for Godzilla.

Both are forms of lizards, who knows maybe there is something against using lizard cgi fx from movies. Maybe they need the T-REX to sign off, or can you imagine getting Godzilla to sign off? He might blast you with an atomic heat ray. That wouldn't be good.

Yeah okay we'll just go with the corny CGI we're capable of I guess. LOL

At the least Willy Wonka has movie clips, songs from the movie, and some amazing CG on the screen. I think its magical and wonderful but I don't know maybe Jurassic World is better with no clips. What do I know.

#1534 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

rump's taking him a Spooky game, so not to worry...

LOL. Everything in North Korea is obsolete so those games should fit right in! LOL

I'm joking I'm joking. No I'm not, ahhh I guess I am. Who knows. LOL

#1535 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

LOL. Everything in North Korea is obsolete so those games should fit right in! LOL
I'm joking I'm joking. No I'm not, ahhh I guess I am. Who knows. LOL

Yeah, they sit around and watch yellow brick road and willy wonka every night.

#1536 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, they sit around and watch yellow brick road every night.

NO they don't... North Korea doesn't have TV's, or even electric to run them. They do on the other hand have nuclear bombs... that makes up for it!

So if they really want to watch a firework show they're going to hit JJP with one, because the WORLD IS WATCHING just ask Richie Wrench.

#1537 4 years ago

who's this richie wrench anyway?

#1538 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Maybe Spooky and Stern could work out a trade deal:

Great minds think alike, I wrote this a few hours ago in the other thread
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:
The chipping will occur fairly fast if it's going to happen... but it should not progress. If the neoprene washers are in there they will absorb the vibrations and prevent future wear.
Wish it had never happened... glad we solved it and appreciate the patience while we did our best to make it right.

Spooky to Stern: I will tell/show you how to make a playfield the right way if you sign back over the "GODZILLA" rights you back doored me on from TOHO.

#1539 4 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Spooky to Stern: I will tell/show you how to make a playfield the right way if you sign back over the "GODZILLA" rights you back doored me on from TOHO.

You really think Stern wants to spend that kind of money? Or give away their prized license?

#1540 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

who's this richie wrench anyway?

He posted on a previous page talking about how he's OUT never buying another game, whatever. Who cares? Anyway then he went on to say the WORLD IS WATCHING JJP. That was his quote... my point is seriously?

The World is Watching, a hurricane is about to blow apart South Carolina, you have gun violence in major cities, a trade war going on, someone you might know is battling cancer, blah, blah, .. and the WORLD IS WATCHING JJP over a pinball playfield.

I'm pointing out how ridiculous this whole thing has gotten... call the manufacturer in Jacks statement he said CALL HIM. What more could you ask for, but the WORLD IS WATCHING oh no Aliens are invading, a volcano just erupted destroying a city (oh wait that did happen in Dialed In), bad example. LOL

I'm just trying to be as silly as some of the drama queens on this thread.

#1541 4 years ago

The world is watching Uranus.

#1542 4 years ago

Who are the 2 fools in “2 Fools & Jack”? Man... they drank the Kool Aid.

#1543 4 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Spooky to Stern: I will tell/show you how to make a playfield the right way if you sign back over the "GODZILLA

OMG you can't be serious... I'd rather have a chipped Godzilla made by JJP or Stern than have Spooky make Godzilla. And I'm being dead serious! I love Godzilla and I want a great themed game, at least that is what I'm hoping for... I don't see Spooky being up to that task. The best pinball theming company hands down is JJP, who would debate that. Stern is second for sure, after that hard to say because most of these other companies went out of business.

I have to hand it to Dutch they had my attention, they had some creative people in that group, what a shame. Chicago hasn't shown they can do an original game so they don't get a grade, although Monster Bash looked pretty awesome. I think American Pinball can get there... they have potential. Even this new Circus Carnival game is better themed than anything I've seen from Spooky. Hey that is my opinion and I'm sticking to that. Alice Cooper is a nice step but that artwork was for the most part provided to them by Alice Cooper. I have nothing against Spooky but they're not high on the theming chart not in my opinion.

I want to see JJP or Stern do Godzilla... no I'm going to take that back. I WANT TO SEE AMERICAN PINBALL DO GODZILLA because I want to see them license something and see what they can do! C'mon American you can do it!

#1544 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

the washer idea does support the inner and outer of a star post,

you are right with a 1mm thick washer, the curved section is 0.7mm of that and probably would hit the rippled clear hence the option in increase the washer thickness to 1.5 - 2mm to increase the ripple clearance or print with a step instead of the curve but I was worried of lifting the o-ring higher. My concept would be printed flat side down and you would go for 0.05-0.1mm printing steps

along the same lines as Ben and I and yours was the first issued idea, but I was thinking with yours and then later Bens is you then require a spacer and then a custom star post so you may as well just do a custom star post with the step in it.

as above the negative is now making 2 parts but the positive it keeps the rubber in the same location.
ideally in merging all these ideas together is if a custom starpost was designed to keep the rubber at the same height but with a step on the underside to clear the clearcoat pooling / ripple you would have a bandaid fix - now just to get injection molded ones is the next challenge.

I simply printed thin washers out of TPU for my TNA that had issues. TPU for those not in the 3D printing hobby is essentially elastic plastic with the properties of rubber. I think it's compliant enough not to introduce new pooling on the edge and it has the benefit of absorbing vibrations from the slingshot. Consider that material for any design that touches the playfield.

#1545 4 years ago

I just read the transcript of Jack's response from the podcast. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

The art is chipping around BOTH of the lower slingshot bumper star posts on my game now, at just 1800 plays.

Time to contact the company about a manufacturer buyback.

#1546 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I simply printed thin washers out of TPU for my TNA that had issues. TPU for those not in the 3D printing hobby is essentially elastic plastic with the properties of rubber. I think it's compliant enough not to introduce new pooling on the edge and it has the benefit of absorbing vibrations from the slingshot. Consider that material for any design that touches the playfield.

that sounds like a good concept and prefer over hand tightened neoprene / rubber as I worry about a post that can move if hit and damaging the playfield further out. The unknown is the forumla for the playfield / clearcoat that Spooky v's Stern v's JJP so the results may differ between producers.

#1547 4 years ago

just ideas merging ideas of @mbwalker , @benheck and myself

7 posts - post 1 and 2 are our control posts
pooling post ideas (resized).pngpooling post ideas (resized).png

7 posts with a marking line showing the centre of o-ring rubbers
pooling concepts 1 (resized).pngpooling concepts 1 (resized).png

7 posts with a cross section
post 1 & 2 - are regular posts sitting on the playfield and art
post 3 & 4 - sit on a 1mm and then a 2mm tapered 3d printed washer supporting the post outer edge but clearing the pooling
post 5 - sitting on a 2 washers a 3/8" and then a 3/4"
post 6 - custom post which is solid and recessed on the bottom side to clear pooling
post 7 - what I think JJP etc should possible consider for posts - a 0.5mm recess into the playfield in which a 3/8" washer drops into and the posts sits on the washer and then no pressure is applied to any playfield art / clearcoat
pooling concept 2 (resized).pngpooling concept 2 (resized).png

a zoom up of post 3,4 & 5
pooling concept 3 (resized).pngpooling concept 3 (resized).png

a zoom up of the custom post and JJP concept
pooling concept 4 (resized).pngpooling concept 4 (resized).png

in the end just brain storming ideas and happy to share files for the tapered washers or custom posts.

#1548 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

OMG you can't be serious... I'd rather have a chipped Godzilla made by JJP or Stern than have Spooky make Godzilla. And I'm being dead serious! I love Godzilla and I want a great themed game, at least that is what I'm hoping for... I don't see Spooky being up to that task. The best pinball theming company hands down is JJP, who would debate that. Stern is second for sure, after that hard to say because most of these other companies went out of business.
I have to hand it to Dutch they had my attention, they had some creative people in that group, what a shame. Chicago hasn't shown they can do an original game so they don't get a grade, although Monster Bash looked pretty awesome. I think American Pinball can get there... they have potential. Even this new Circus Carnival game is better themed than anything I've seen from Spooky. Hey that is my opinion and I'm sticking to that. Alice Cooper is a nice step but that artwork was for the most part provided to them by Alice Cooper. I have nothing against Spooky but they're not high on the theming chart not in my opinion.
I want to see JJP or Stern do Godzilla... no I'm going to take that back. I WANT TO SEE AMERICAN PINBALL DO GODZILLA because I want to see them license something and see what they can do! C'mon American you can do it!

Stern has the rights, I'm sure you know. I agree, I want a GODZILLA pin more than you can imagine. I was making a joke about what Spooky could say to them being Charlie really wanted the rights.

#1549 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

just ideas merging ideas of @mbwalker , @benheck and myself
7 posts - post 1 and 2 are our control posts
[quoted image]
7 posts with a marking line showing the centre of o-ring rubbers
[quoted image]
7 posts with a cross section
post 1 & 2 - are regular posts sitting on the playfield and art
post 3 & 4 - sit on a 1mm and then a 2mm tapered 3d printed washer supporting the post outer edge but clearing the pooling
post 5 - sitting on a 2 washers a 3/8" and then a 3/4"
post 6 - custom post which is solid and recessed on the bottom side to clear pooling
post 7 - what I think JJP etc should possible consider for posts - a 0.5mm recess into the playfield in which a 3/8" washer drops into and the posts sits on the washer and then no pressure is applied to any playfield art / clearcoat
[quoted image]
a zoom up of post 3,4 & 5
[quoted image]
a zoom up of the custom post and JJP concept
[quoted image]
in the end just brain storming ideas and happy to share files for the tapered washers or custom posts.

Excellent work Swinks! How about some clearance for a metal post in the center for sturdiness (maybe it's already there)? Tried to find one w/a metal base like Ben suggested over at Marcos, but didn't stumble upon it. Then the post becomes more cosmetic.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1550 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Excellent work Swinks! How about some clearance for a metal post in the center for sturdiness (maybe it's already there)? Tried to find one w/a metal base like Ben suggested over at Marcos, but didn't stumble upon it. Then the post becomes more cosmetic.
[quoted image]

with the modified post (post 6) I made it solid throughout and made the centre post 9mm dia - so larger than the inner core of a star post so it is effectively like a skinner post so it would be stable and sturdy - so the metal sleeve can be left out

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 25.50
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-/page/31?hl=vipervs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.