(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 45.
#1101 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This kind of reminds me of Ghostbusters all over again. Everyone loved the game and then the playfields were shit and everyone lost interest in it because of it. Ghostbusters would have sold way better had it not been for the playfield problems.

I came into the hobby after the playfield thing was over...I thought GB sucked because it shot like shit! It might have been my first pin if it wasn't so frustratingly terrible.

#1102 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I came into the hobby after the playfield thing was over...I thought GB sucked because it shot like shit! It might have been my first pin if it wasn't so frustratingly terrible.

Its not a fun game for noobs for sure. Play better!

#1103 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Believe me I'm trying! Wonka is brutal AF and it has definitely upped my skills a bit across all pins.

#1104 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This kind of reminds me of Ghostbusters all over again. Everyone loved the game and then the playfields were shit and everyone lost interest in it because of it. Ghostbusters would have sold way better had it not been for the playfield problems.

Stern has said it's been one of their best selling pins.

#1105 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Believe me I'm trying! Wonka is brutal AF and it has definitely upped my skills a bit across all pins.

Im just joking with you. It is a very hard game but once you play it and learn it its not too bad and its a lot of fun. The game will nake you a better player for sure too. Wonka is definitely a brutal game as well. Pretty fun though overall.

#1106 4 years ago

Just spoke with technical support at JJP and Mirco is testing out different clear coats on Wonka. They are making 12 more CE playfields for JJPOTC as well, as they apparently ran out, although I'm not sure what that means as I was under the impression they were all sold. I'm guessing spare playfields.

#1107 4 years ago

REPORT: JJP is going to announce their solution via podcast.

Which leaves one to ponder, how will we see Jack’s cartwheel punctuation after the “solution” is announced?

#1108 4 years ago
Quoted from ChippyWonka:

Which leaves one to ponder, how will we see Jack’s cartwheel punctuation after the “solution” is announced?

Just lol’d at your user name.

#1109 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

No its everywhere,
Im seeing what I see a lot when I get back race helmets for repair , bunching of paint Exactly like this around the visor screw Pivots
When I deliver the a new freshly painted helmet , I always say, when you change the visor, hand tighten down, that will do the trick.
Some ignore it, and because the clear Inc underlaying artwork are twisted/squeezed so hard, the bond or key with the base breaks and it flexes slowly around the pivot. Being soft this is possible, after the hardening continues, the trapped air underneath can still expand and contract, but now the paint wont flex anymore and .. chips under the stress.
So once the bond has been broken, it will never return.
I heated up the affected areas on my “Willy” with a hair dryer , and as hoped, the air expanded, you could hear the pop when it broke the seal with the paint squeezed into the paint , and then settled down flat.
After cooling it would not come up again.
Did this on 7 post that were in sight, and replaced with washers of the same diameter as the posts or slightly bigger. This helps to spread the load instead of just the starpost edge digging in.
For now this should hold up, but the deeper issue remains

This looks great on your photo. Do you recommend trying this if you have pooling, or is it better to not mess with it if you don't have more expertise, such as you do with helmets?

#1110 4 years ago
Quoted from ChippyWonka:

0A626C51-A162-4B10-B180-44726F5FB3BC (resized).jpeg0A626C51-A162-4B10-B180-44726F5FB3BC (resized).jpegC515A06A-CE0A-446A-A675-85BFFC37124F (resized).jpegC515A06A-CE0A-446A-A675-85BFFC37124F (resized).jpegE69300A0-C6ED-458E-AE7E-565D50E8726F (resized).jpegE69300A0-C6ED-458E-AE7E-565D50E8726F (resized).jpegFD692BE5-67EE-4303-8F7F-9C4DF9CCE400 (resized).jpegFD692BE5-67EE-4303-8F7F-9C4DF9CCE400 (resized).jpeg
#1111 4 years ago

^Thanks knobshiner. I just Jersey Yacked all over my iPhone.

#1112 4 years ago
Quoted from ChippyWonka:

Any idea when?

#1113 4 years ago
Quoted from ChippyWonka:

Cite your source, please. Who did you speak with at JJP, date and time.

Thanks.

-wonka owner #08742206, play field case #5107

#1114 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

No its everywhere,
Im seeing what I see a lot when I get back race helmets for repair , bunching of paint Exactly like this around the visor screw Pivots
When I deliver the a new freshly painted helmet , I always say, when you change the visor, hand tighten down, that will do the trick.
Some ignore it, and because the clear Inc underlaying artwork are twisted/squeezed so hard, the bond or key with the base breaks and it flexes slowly around the pivot. Being soft this is possible, after the hardening continues, the trapped air underneath can still expand and contract, but now the paint wont flex anymore and .. chips under the stress.
So once the bond has been broken, it will never return.
I heated up the affected areas on my “Willy” with a hair dryer , and as hoped, the air expanded, you could hear the pop when it broke the seal with the paint squeezed into the paint , and then settled down flat.
After cooling it would not come up again.
Did this on 7 post that were in sight, and replaced with washers of the same diameter as the posts or slightly bigger. This helps to spread the load instead of just the starpost edge digging in.
For now this should hold up, but the deeper issue remains

Impressive, as always. Too bad you aren't in the industry full time!

#1115 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any idea when?

“In a week or so.” According to my super secret inside source... let’s call him...”ShallowEsophagus”

#1116 4 years ago
Quoted from ChippyWonka:

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#1117 4 years ago

Communicating a solution to their customers via podcast?

Interesting.

#1118 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any idea when?

As soon as Jack can get a signal....

#1119 4 years ago

jjp and possibly stern will get sued soon i think
it will be a class action, and it may just bankrupt them (JJP)

as an attorney, i am thinking that its just a matter of time before some lawyer sniffs this out and smells the money, then its just a matter of time and determining how much its worth to him to represent the class.

it bums me out to think that will happen, but i really think it will.

#1120 4 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

as an attorney, i am thinking that its just a matter of time before some lawyer sniffs this out and smells the money, then its just a matter of time and determining how much its worth to him to represent the class.

Teach them not to push garbage on us!

#1121 4 years ago

Sniff sniff. Looks like you cracked the case, Matlock.

#1122 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Just spoke with technical support at JJP and Mirco is testing out different clear coats on Wonka. They are making 12 more CE playfields for JJPOTC as well, as they apparently ran out, although I'm not sure what that means as I was under the impression they were all sold. I'm guessing spare playfields.

Thanks.

#1123 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Thanks.

One of the technical support guys at JJP earlier this afternoon. I usually talk with Frank, but he was out. Just passing on some information that I thought would be helpful.

#1124 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

One of the technical support guys at JJP earlier this afternoon. I usually talk with Frank, but he was out.

So they admitted they have a problem with their clear?

#1125 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Thanks.

Lol! If u want people to share info, why do you keep downvoting them?

2C50664B-D4D2-41C7-AFAE-D061C8A2271D (resized).png2C50664B-D4D2-41C7-AFAE-D061C8A2271D (resized).png
#1126 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Or they are admitting they are having a problem with pinsiders.

#1127 4 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

This looks great on your photo. Do you recommend trying this if you have pooling, or is it better to not mess with it if you don't have more expertise, such as you do with helmets?

If you carefully heat it now while pf’s are still soft enough a little and apply a full washer you’ll at least stand a better chance of it not cracking/chipping once its hardended up .

Then if nothing gets sorted in the near future by the mf’s you’ll at least give yourself something thats better than how it is now

#1128 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I was just calling to ask about a spare playfield for JJPOTC. From my point of view, it would be great if they find a solution, so we can buy NIB machines again without worrying about this.

#1129 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

If you carefully heat it now while pf’s are still soft enough a little and apply a full washer you’ll at least stand a better chance of it not cracking/chipping once its hardended up .
Then if nothing gets sorted in the near future by the mf’s you’ll at least give yourself something thats better than how it is now

yep...but that is short term. I'm sure you're painfully aware (as most of us are) that the fact this is happening *at all* bodes very badly for all kinds of weird stuff to happen to these PF's in the future. I, for one, don't want to wait to find out. It's not even worth the mental energy to think about, frankly. There should have been no problem with the PF out of the box.

#1130 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

yep...but that is short term. I'm sure you're painfully aware (as most of us are) that the fact this is happening *at all* bodes very badly for all kinds of weird stuff to happen to these PF's in the future. I, for one, don't want to wait to find out. It's not even worth the mental energy to think about, frankly. There should have been no problem with the PF out of the box.

Yes I agree.

The problem lies deeper, but I just like to make sure that if nothing is sorted out for all affected , at least be able to choose to minize the chance of more damage than neccesary when your game is allready in your possesion.

I for one dont want to do a pf swap, I’m able, but its not happening

#1131 4 years ago

Which would further demonstrate why attorneys are about as popular as used car sales people...

Jeff

#1132 4 years ago

NiB pinball is becoming a gamble. At least with used your able to view the product before getting ripped off

#1133 4 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

NiB pinball is becoming a gamble.

IMG_0211 (resized).jpgIMG_0211 (resized).jpg
#1134 4 years ago

I am new to Pinside but I am going to have to disagree with you on this. Since I just started buying pins, I have been searching the forum for more information on Playfield issues before I buy a NIB WW or JP. Playfield issues have been around for at least 6 years on this forum. And they still exist today. Nobody sued them in the past and I do not think anyone is going to over what most people consider a cosmetic item. I personally think it is more than cosmetics, but I am not in the majority of buyers.

What I have learned is that pinball NIB purchasers are willing to except all of the flaws with the NIB pins. Otherwise, this would have been resolved in the past. I grant you that some buyers have stepped away from NIB purchasing and others never buy NIB. But, they keep selling NIB pins so someone kept accepting all of the faults identified. This is the only item I have spent this large an amount of money on a single purchase and am surprised at all the issues that are just excepted. This is just like buying an exotic car. Buyers willing to except all of the issues with a brand new 6 figure sports car that is hand assembled.

Most buyers will not contact the manufacturer when they have an issue with a product. It is very difficult, even in today’s internet age, to have a count of how many products were affected by an issue even for the manufacturer. Most buyers will just accept it. Others will sell the item and some just throw the item in the trash.

I was shocked at how many NIB pins have been affected by PF issues. All one needs to do is search and you will see all of the models having the same type of issue over the years. The fact that so many different models have the issue over 6 years is surprising. And the issue is not associated with just one manufacturer.

It is a quality control issue that is fixable. All the debating is interesting, but it has nothing to do with new regulations. That just appeals to some people’s views on regulations. But that is not the problem.

Want to stop future PF issues...stop buying the machines from the manufacturer that has them. That is the only way to fix it. Let go of your strong connection to the manufacturer or the particular game. They are about profits first and customers second. That is until the customer stops buying then they will fix the issue.

One auto manufacturer has survived for decades on selling automobiles with cheap parts. There quality control is horrible. But they still exist today. Why, because some people are fans of there automobiles/models and will buy them even with all of their issues. They except it and the company knows it. That is why they still sell cheap low quality automobiles. Because their customers except it this way.

I know a lot of you have friends in the industry and just remember that in the end, the decisions are made at the top and unless a business is privately owned, the shareholders or investors are making the final decisions. And profits trump customers complaints. When profits decline because of quality issues, the issues get resolved.

Companies are in the business of making money and each will take a different path to success. Some care more about quality than style. And others care about style more than quality. It is the buyer that accepts the end result.

Sorry for the rant! Thanks for reading if you got this far. And I would like to say that I was not attacking anyone in particular. I just wish the manufactures would fix the problem so I can buy a NIB pin. I am holding off until I hear an answer I can trust. And maybe wait to see positive results with follow pinsiders photos of PF’s that look like the problem has been resolved. Until then, I will keep my money in the bank where it is making me money! Not the other way around.

#1135 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sounds better then Stern's response...
[quoted image]

You sure do argue in bad faith a lot This is the same thing you did in the GB thread when you took a quote from Dwight and hammered it into the ground, it's just a quote from Zach now.

Stern has already reached out to multiple people for playfield swaps and they have been in communication with me through my distributor. Maybe you are trying to make a joke, but the sentiment behind it is wrong/false.

Quoted from RichieWrench:

Do not get me wrong...I was just reaching out and I just dont want to say the name.
Bottom line...It does not matter....Action speaks more than talk.
Simply put....JJP and any other manufacturer needs to speak up about this and make it right AND they need to make sure those effected are taken care of and trust me I know of a few personally and they better be taken care of. They can refund the money paid out for those playfields, offer populated playfield, fair discounts ...anything but make it fair and make it at NO cost to the customer.
Until then....
Richie Wrench is out on CE #12.....I dont care if that door comes powder coated...I AM OUT.
And as of today....I AM STILL OUT.
You see...That is my action....I am taking a stand for myself and those around me.
Dont believe me???
Call or text Joe at 3 AM tonight...He will tell you.

Appreciate you trying to fight the good fight sir!

#1136 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

I asked the JJP Google groups if there was a solution to the problem, they had a very quick fix for me.
Within 1 minute I was deleted from the group.

Please tell me this is a joke... like, wtf...

#1137 4 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

NiB pinball is becoming a gamble. At least with used your able to view the product before getting ripped off

It’s been a gamble for a few years.

#1138 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

could of been a classic if Stern had a programmer that was dedicated to fine tuning the code....instead he's lazy and could give two shits

#1139 4 years ago

Hey...My podcast is done and I think public now for those that want to hear it.

#1140 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

So what happens to the people who already bought a replacement?

#1141 4 years ago

That would be absurd. You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this clear coat stuff. It's embarrassing.

#1142 4 years ago

How can I find this?

#1143 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

That wound be absurd. You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this clear coat stuff. It's embarrassing.

"That's just like, your opinion, man"

The Dude

#1144 4 years ago

I can't listen to it until at least 3am.

#1146 4 years ago

Not now, maybe 3AM.

#1147 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

So what happens to the people who already bought a replacement?

Not sure, a lot of this is pretty theoretical at this point. I may just put a playfield protector on and not worry as a playfield swap would be a ton of work on POTC.

#1148 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

That wound be absurd. You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this clear coat stuff. It's embarrassing.

What? Bad clear on a PF is a mole hill. I can’t think of anything worst for a pin. Care to give me some examples of what would be a worse issue than this? This is the mountain. Not knowing or admitting that is what I would consider embarrassing.

#1149 4 years ago

Oh man. Can’t listen to that little girl without jamming ice picks into my ears.

#1150 4 years ago

When you are using that dude as a spokesman for your product or product fix, you must be getting desperate.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Shooter rods
There are 2,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.