(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 45.
#851 4 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

The DMD was just an example which makes my point seeing how long it took for Stern to eventually go to the LCD screen

I like DMD better than LCD...

#852 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

No. The only thing that will make a difference is a marked slowdown in sales.

Thats going to be happening i guarantee it. You can bet you ass that distros are shitting their pants right now as well.

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Actually me too Not saying change is always good, just saying change is sometimes necessary.

#854 4 years ago
Quoted from Cgpinhead:

Is there though? Has anybody counted? Let’s start on page one and do an honest count of the known machines with problems. The low number might surprise you.....Don’t get me wrong, I completely empathize with those that have issues. I myself am waiting to hear from the manufacturers before I go through with my purchase... But I just suggest before throwing the baby out with the bath water has anyone actually counted?

With only 406 registered JJP POTC Pinside owners even 40 chipping playfields is one in ten

#855 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

“Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled!”

#856 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

With only 406 registered JJP POTC Pinside owners even 40 chipping playfields is one in ten

I have a feeling that the problem is far worse than that.

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I'm not registered.
Count me in.

407 and 41 !!!

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

“Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled!”

Im one of them...cucumbers suck and make everything in my salad taste like cucumber...

#859 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Someone did this a couple months ago, it was over 100 pinsiders having issues with POTC. Remember, pinside is a small percentage of the overall pinball community, some say 30%. So extrapolate that number and you will see it’s a fair amount of games considering they only made 1000.

#860 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

No. The only thing that will make a difference is a marked slowdown in sales.

And the more coverage it gets the more people that see it and the greater number of people that don’t buy new pins because of it.

#861 4 years ago

Really good discussion about the playfield issues on the TWIP Podcast this week with our friends from Poor Man's Pinball Podcast, starts a little under 15 minutes in:

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-podcast-episode-59-with-poormans-pinball-podcast/

If you have questions for Ian from Poor Mans about the conversation you can contact him at [email protected] or he is Captain-Flint on here

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from Sponge:

I’m out on purchasing my Wonka LE unless I hear that JJP is going to warranty their playfields. It’s a shame too, because is was going to be my first NIB machine. It’s a theme my wife and I both love and we even sought out a location game to test drive the machine.
It really comes down to this:
I’m not going to spend 10k on something where there is clear evidence that the manufacturer isn’t going to do right by its customers. Period.
The fact that they are not making things right tells me that the problem is systemic. Why would someone risk their reputation and even a single multi-thousand dollar sale over a hand full of bad parts? They probably know there is a serious problem and realize the potential end of their company if they have to replace hundreds of playfieds under warranty.
This seems like a growing pain. I hope they are able to address it and move forward.

No problem buy a HUO game a few years down the road save money and get an issue free game

#863 4 years ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

Checked out this thread as I’m in on a CE - clearly I’m a fkn moron.
Besides this thread being educational on that point...the bonus point is this thread is freakin hilarious. Conspiracy theories, sexual harassment and even the holocaust. LMFAO.

If you have a local distributor see if you can buy a floor model so that you may check out the playfield and possibly get a few bucks off the price of the game

#864 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have a feeling that the problem is far worse than that.

Yes, the majority of pin owners are blissfully unaware of this issue.

Every Stern title off the line in 2018/19 seems to have blistering issues - from reports and photos in these threads.

Who knows how many.

#865 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wow, it doesn't look like a hole, it looks like a divot. Is that really where they put the flipper alignment hole and made it a divot?

A flipper alignment hole would not have that post there that said I have no idea what that hole is

#866 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

And owners who may not be aware of forumns to complain to .

#867 4 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Really good discussion about the playfield issues on the TWIP Podcast this week with our friends from Poor Man's Pinball Podcast, starts a little under 15 minutes in:
https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-podcast-episode-59-with-poormans-pinball-podcast/
If you have questions for Ian from Poor Mans about the conversation you can contact him at [email protected] or he is captain-flint on here

Great info and nice interview until you said all of us who have chipping are crazy for letting it bother us. If it were just bubbling then fine, maybe somewhat reasonable rationale. But chipping where I can’t even move a post and install it just can’t be acceptable. Period.

You lost me there and I’m going to venture and say you were likely CYA since your a distro of all these fine games.

#868 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Great info and nice interview until you said all of us who have chipping are crazy for letting it bother us. If it were just bubbling then fine, maybe somewhat reasonable rationale. But chipping where I can’t even move a post and install it just can’t be acceptable. Period.
You lost me there and I’m going to venture and say you were likely CYA since your a distro of all these fine games.

Well, the way I see things we have two options:

1. Bail out of NIB pinball and pout until this blows over
2. Keep playing and deal with it as best we can

I wouldn't say anyone is crazy for letting it bother you, but I do think sitting out of pinball over it is an over-reaction. Especially since we're talking about out of the way places that are chipping, in most cases.

#869 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

1. Bail out of pinball and pout until this blows over
I wouldn't say anyone is crazy for letting it bother you, but I do think sitting out of pinball over it is an over-reaction. Especially since we're talking about out of the way places that are chipping, in most cases.

In a year or two when you want to give your scratched and matter pf a teardown and say a machine buff, things wil get ugly fast..

Those chips will turn into big chunks , and the polish will eat at the remaining art from underneath..

Its a problem . I am a firm believer that gameplay isnt affected, sure, but its also nice to care for your machines , keep them in order top to bottom, as it stands with the current games you’ve lost that battle allready when you open the box..

Only one way to get the message across to the manufacturers.. I now wish I had known what I know now 3 weeks ago

#870 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Who is bailing out on pinball?

I have yet to read that or hear anyone say that?

#871 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Who is bailing out on pinball?
I have yet to read that or hear anyone say that?

Out of buying anything new, now , is what Derek means, right?

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Nobody is sitting out. We’re all still playing pinball.

I have a bunch of games to play at home and The Silverball Museum is a couple of blocks from my office. Typically, I play at least a couple of games per day.

If the manufacturers who are charging 8K-12K per game can’t solve these issues I think they are in for some dark days ahead. However, I am surprised that this is what finally broke the camel’s back. For now, I’m back to buying HUO until I’m confident that the play field issues are in the rear view mirror.

#873 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Being into pinball is NOT defined by new games. You can stay in the hobby without ever buying a new game. There are thousands of high quality machines with high quality parts that have lasted 5, 10, 30 years...available to buy, usually for much less than NIB. Anyone can easily swear off NIB & still be having tons of fun playing & buying pinball.

#874 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Yes that is what I meant.

#875 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

He said bailing out of pinball.

Don’t think anyone has said that but not buying NIB from JJP or Stern is certainly not bailing on the hobby.

I can see how distro would want to mitigate this because this will hurt them more in the near term.

#876 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Being into pinball is NOT defined by new games. You can stay in the hobby without ever buying a new game. There are thousands of high quality machines with high quality parts that have lasted 5, 10, 30 years...available to buy, usually for much less than NIB. Anyone can easily swear off NIB & still be having tons of fun playing & buying pinball.

BINGO!

Pretty amazing how all these heavily used Williams games are in better shape than a 10-12k nib JJP.

#877 4 years ago

The thing is, the current games are too compelling to ignore (at least for me!)

IMG_1558 (resized).jpgIMG_1558 (resized).jpg
#878 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The thing is, the current games are too compelling to ignore (at least for me!)[quoted image]

I guess that's what manufacturers are hoping ...

#879 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

He said bailing out of pinball.
Don’t think anyone has said that but not buying NIB from JJP or Stern is certainly not bailing on the hobby.
I can see how distro would want to mitigate this because this will hurt them more in the near term.

He wrote it indeed, I just chose to interprete it differently than you , which is fine I guess.

Comes down to that we all love pinball , the hobby , are eager to try and buy new and exciting games in the future, but feel like being shafted with game playfields crumbling from the get go.

And arguing about it too, how crazy can we be..

Only one way to get things to turn around, if we want it to, that is .

Peace!

#880 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

A flipper alignment hole would not have that post there

JP2 upper flipper does. Look at the artwork; it's clearly that area of the playfield.

#881 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

He wrote it indeed, I just chose to interprete it differently than you , which is fine I guess.
Comes down to that we all love pinball , the hobby , are eager to try and buy new and exciting games in the future, but feel like being shafted with game playfields crumbling from the get go.
And arguing about it too, how crazy can we be..
Only one way to get things to turn around, if we want it to, that is .
Peace!

I hear ya....I’m not losing sleep over all of this...it is what it is at the moment and I’m sure we are at rock bottom on this issue. Can only get better we should all hope!

#882 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

What is the part number for the washer?

Good Question. I was given my Marco Kit from the original buyer. It had 6 star posts and 6 black nylon washers in it. I've called Marco and they are "checking into" the washer.

Here's what is WEIRD. Look at the slingshot under the BP ramp. Check out the Star Post at the top of the sling shot. This is exactly what many people are changing their lower slingshot posts to. This is Part Number 30-009005-13 in the JJP POTC Manual Page C-133.
I'll post a follow up if Marco can confirm the washer.
Thanks. Murphy

#883 4 years ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

I'm not registered.
Count me in.
407 and 41 !!!

POTC CE #112, count me in, unfortunately

#884 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Good Question. I was given my Marco Kit from the original buyer. It had 6 star posts and 6 black nylon washers in it. I've called Marco and they are "checking into" the washer.
Here's what is WEIRD. Look at the slingshot under the BP ramp. Check out the Star Post at the top of the sling shot. This is exactly what many people are changing their lower slingshot posts to. This is Part Number 30-009005-13 in the JJP POTC Manual Page C-133.
I'll post a follow up if Marco can confirm the washer.
Thanks. Murphy

That post under pearl ramping is creating rippling too for most of us but don’t think adding washers was really even mentioned at this location. I may add one and see if it affects how the sling fires.

#885 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

That sucks. When was it built? Post a few pics?

#886 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

nice interview until you said all of us who have chipping are crazy for letting it bother us

Thanks for saving me the trouble of listening. I'm glad my distributor didn't tell me this.

#887 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Yeah me too, potc CE 157 hasnt got it around the slings, but the mini posts are all affected and the higher placed starposts are showing some . My wonka has it from day 1 around the slings . I would be surprised if any potc/wonka are un-affected one way or another

#888 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Wood is the past. Still it should be possible to coat a wood playfield.

We still call plywood “wood” even though it’s an artificial laminate of veneers and glue. And pinball has always used plywood... not some cross section piece of wood

#889 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The thing is, the current games are too compelling to ignore (at least for me!)[quoted image]

Sounds like a personal problem.

(Maybe not now but when artwork is coming off and it spreads into the inlanes and around the slingshots, that may be a different case)

#890 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Who said that people were crazy for letting this bother them? What an idiot!

#891 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

A flipper alignment hole would not have that post there that said I have no idea what that hole is

It is the typical flipper adjustment mark. Nothing more. The threaded post defends the end of the flipper... and is poorly engineered itself.

#892 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Who said that people were crazy for letting this bother them? What an idiot!

You really ought to give it a listen.

All good except the last two minutes when the distributor hat comes out.

Seriously, he should edit that part out because it’s terrible terrible optics in my opinion as a seller of these brands.

#893 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

That's why I questioned the response that the divot was the flipper alignment hole. Makes no sense.

#894 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I see 2 slot machines & bedsheets with fake voices

Thankfully none of these new games move the needle for me. Enjoying the “oldies”.

#895 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Seriously, he should edit that part out because it’s terrible terrible optics in my opinion as a seller of these brands.

Im definitely going to listen to it later but its definitely a big deal. Its a really big F'ing deal to me personally because i take great pride in my games and i love them and want them to remain nice and they SHOULD remain nice pretty much forever being in a home use only environment. It also takes me a long time to save up enough money to buy one of these games.

#896 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The clear coat discussion was very informative .... the balance of the discussion was a bit of a joke....he was basically saying don't worry about a little chipping or wrinkling in your play field....that being said I'd probably say the same thing if that was my core business

#897 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's why I questioned the response that the divot was the flipper alignment hole. Makes no sense.

That’s the upper right flipper on JP2. It’s has the post at the end to protect the flipper and force you to flip. Makes sense there would be a flipper alignment hole between the post hole and the tip of the flipper.

The post cops a beating which causes the clear to fracture and the alignment hole is an obvious weak point causing it to chip.

#898 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

The clear coat discussion was very informative .... the balance of the discussion was a bit of a joke....he was basically saying don't worry about a little chipping or wrinkling in your play field....that being said I'd probably say the same thing if that was my core business

Of course it doesn’t affect playability on location or in a comp. But as a collector you want your games looking perfect. The problem now is that since everyone is aware of it, it becomes another point of reference when selling your game to another collector. There’ll be an obvious preference for non chipped or pooled games.

#899 4 years ago

As someone said earlier, post pics will be the new normal!

#900 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Upper flipper if that makes a difference...or, just a hole

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Brownsburg, IN
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 91.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods
Plastics
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 2,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.