(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 2,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 45.
#1 4 years ago

My buddy took delivery of a NIB Wonka LE just about a month ago. (Edit: born on date of 07/19/19) There is already significant chipping around the sling posts. Unbelievable!!! Here is a pic. The other side is the same on the corresponding post. He is going to report it to JJP first thing Monday. This is beyond ridiculous if all they offer is a discounted unpopulated pf.

I will get some more pics and update this post.
1A4EBF57-1599-4BA7-ADCA-226B5748A83D (resized).jpeg1A4EBF57-1599-4BA7-ADCA-226B5748A83D (resized).jpeg
D71927A8-E717-4995-8658-E2AF67F1CBF7 (resized).jpegD71927A8-E717-4995-8658-E2AF67F1CBF7 (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

wow, here we go again!

#3 4 years ago

Heres what I don't get. JJP knows this issue affected a good number of Pirates games and released the washer kit. It should be a given that the rubber washers are applied from the factory on all Wonka games.

#4 4 years ago

One of the issues I see is that Wonka already has the larger posts. The band aid fix they used on pirates by using larger posts won’t work here.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

One of the issues I see is that Wonka already has the larger posts. The band aid fix they used on pirates by using larger posts won’t work here.

It will not work for pirates either, just covers for the problem for a while.
I'm still puzzled as to why they go back to crapco playfields when it's well known beeing crap.

#6 4 years ago

Sorry to hear. hope JJP is isolating the root of the pf issues to reassure customers.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

hope JJP is isolating the root of the pf issues to reassure customers.

Nope.

#8 4 years ago

This will not end well

#9 4 years ago

I have the bubbling around my star posts and know 3 other local owners who have the same thing. I have not seen chipping yet though.

#10 4 years ago

OMG the sky is falling... Calm down.

Jeff

EDIT: Just adding that I should have also asked whether or not the issue had been reported to JJP and if so, what was their response...

#11 4 years ago

This is how mine came. Brand new SE
What is the fix? Runber washers I'm assuming. Not really a fix imho

20190813_191945 (resized).jpg20190813_191945 (resized).jpg
#12 4 years ago

So JJP aren’t offering to return and refund a faulty game?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Sorry to hear. hope JJP is isolating the root of the pf issues to reassure customers.

The root of the problem is poor playfield quality from Mirco with both ink adhesion problems and soft clearcoat issues. A terrible combination. If I were Jack, I'd be trying to work out a deal with CGC or CPR since they are the only two PF manufacturers that actually have consistently good output currently. Based on the JJP Pirates and Wonka playfields as well as others they've done, Mirco is trash. I can't imagine the JJP headaches they've caused with their terrible playfields.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from 2Fun:

This is how mine came. Brand new SE
What is the fix? Runber washers I'm assuming. Not really a fix imho[quoted image]

I did mylar rings on jjPotC. Seems to have arrested the problem so far.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

OMG the sky is falling... Calm down.
Jeff

“Wow... Was that really necessary? What kind of deep seeded issues do you suffer from that would compel you to be such an —————?
Jeff”

Quote Jeffro01 from post #959 in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-potc-collectors-edition/page/20#post-4817535

Vulgarity redacted.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

“Wow... Was that really necessary? What kind of deep seeded issues do you suffer from that would compel you to be such an —————?
Jeff”

Because the constant hysteria over this is really over the top at this point... It's hard from your photo to even see what you're talking about, not saying it's not there, but it's not like some of the POTC examples either. Should playfields chip? No. Should there be clear puddling? No. Are either fundamentally affecting the playability of any games? For the most part, no. I've only seen a few POTC examples that really affected whether the game could be played at all. What I see in your picture doesn't prevent gameplay for what it's worth.

There are two camps here and neither side is completely wrong nor is either completely right either. My JJP POTC CE looks like the day it did when I got it, I haven't seen any clear/chipping issues. Same could be said for a number of owners. That's not to mean that others aren't having issues, to reiterate this again, I'm not saying there aren't problems.

Call me what you will.

Jeff

#17 4 years ago

Ok, I’ll take the bait. Which camp are u in? The “artwork peeling off a 30 day old $10k game is just fine” camp or the “it hasn’t happened to me so I don’t care” camp?

What say you Jack...errr Jeff?

#18 4 years ago

And do please take note that I never called you anything. I merely quoted you in your response to another pinsider regarding a $.10 broken spring. Surely much more of an issue than a delaminating fully populated pf.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Ok, I’ll take the bait. Which camp are u in? The “artwork peeling off a 30 day old $10k game is just fine” or the “it hasn’t happened to me so I don’t care” camp?
What say you Jack...errr Jeff?

Oh grow the f* up... Until JJP is given a chance to rectify the situation I have no additional thoughts.

Jeff

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

It's hard from your photo to even see what you're talking about,

No it's not, it's quite easy to see that the clear is not level and is being pushed out into a ripple from the post.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

No it's not, it's quite easy to see that the clear is not level and is being pushed out into a ripple from the post.

FWIW, I had to look twice. Never denied it's not there, but it didn't immediately jump off of the page at me personally.

Jeff

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Oh grow the f* up... Until JJP is given a chance to rectify the situation I have no additional thoughts.
Jeff

Deal! Thanks for the new quote I can use in the future.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Deal! Thanks for the new quote I can use in the future.

Funny you had to go back and fix your own post as you failed to even explain what the hell you were talking about at first. Do you feel like a super special big man now that you went and dug up an old quote on a completely different thing? What kind of a loser even does that? LOL... You actually remember posts like that or did you go back and search my name? Either way is equally pathetic but yikes...

Again, grow the F* up...

Jeff

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The root of the problem is poor playfield quality from Mirco with both ink adhesion problems and soft clearcoat issues. A terrible combination. If I were Jack, I'd be trying to work out a deal with CGC or CPR since they are the only two PF manufacturers that actually have consistently good output currently. Based on the JJP Pirates and Wonka playfields as well as others they've done, Mirco is trash. I can't imagine the JJP headaches they've caused with their terrible playfields.

Thx man, haven’t been following the JJP threads.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

That was the first thought I had when I seen it. If chipping starts to happen, there's no way to cover the damage on Wonka. You'll be forced to touch-up and brand new playfield.

#26 4 years ago

This is a shame for sure and when it's your money you won't feel that it is ok. I had 2 games with Stern with playfield issues and it sucks. I pulled my deposit for Wonka because of this. It sucks not to feel confident spending almost 10k on a cool new pin. But if this is how the manufacturers are going to do business I'm personally out.

#27 4 years ago

What kind of knob shining idiot expects his $10k pin to not peel in the first month?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Thx, haven’t been following the JJP threads.

Yeah so far to date, JJP's response has been less than ideal to say the least... For people with chipped playfields that, at least to me, should immediately trigger a free replacement play field (fully populated). For those with the clear puddling, but no other damage, I'm not sure what I think is fair or appropriate there. I've paid close attention to my JJP POTC CE and will do so for my Wonka CE when/if it ever gets here. I think that JJP should always be given a chance to rectify things before people go nuts over it regardless, hence my overall issue with this thread. JJP support to date has been absolutely outstanding for me and that includes a broken spring among other things...

Jeff

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Jeff

Please - you're either working for them or completely flatlined in the head if you think chipping of a 9.5k PF on a brand new machine is overreacting.

You might be willing to bend over but others aren't. This is complete BS and sorry to hear it's happening AGAIN.

JJP - wtf. Time to address this.

#30 4 years ago

I heard JJP is sending free Wonka bars for playfield issues.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Please - you're either working for them or completely flatlined in the head if you think chipping of a 9.5k PF on a brand new machine is overreacting.
You might be willing to bend over but others aren't. This is complete BS and sorry to hear it's happening AGAIN.
JJP - wtf. Time to address this.

LOL... Clearly you didn't read my most recent post but whatever... No, I do not work for JJP, I'm just a satisfied customer at this point who acknowledges there are issues and JJP isn't adequately handling them.

Jeff

#32 4 years ago

It looks like the posts were tightened down too much on a playfield that didn’t have time enough for the clear to fully harden.

#33 4 years ago

Just checked and it is a 07/19/19 build date. So, less than a month old!

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Funny you had to go back and fix your own post as failed to even explain what the hell you were talking about at first. Do you feel like a super special big man now that you went and dug up an old quote on a completely different thing? What kind of a loser even does that? LOL... You actually remember posts like that or did you go back and search my name? Either way is equally pathetic but yikes...
Again, grow the F* up...
Jeff

What is with your vitriol? If you have no issues, why participate in this thread?

Where are the mods? This exemplifies exactly why a probationary period is needed for pinsiders of less than one year.

#35 4 years ago

Let's just see what JJP does. I know when I had issues they were on top of it and helped in some way. Now with that said....These games are expensive and we all know there are going to be some issues. But a 10,000 plus game chipping....Yeah I would be PIST!!!

But give them a chance and then tell the story. It's not Monday yet and I would be shocked if they did not help out and make u happy.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

What is with your vitriol? If you have no issues, why participate in this thread?

Okay so lets be clear, you posted in a manor that I felt was over the top. Last time I checked I can comment wherever I want to so unless the rules changed, I commented in a manor that lacked context I'll admit that I thought you were overreacting given that JJP hasn't had a chance to rectify the situation. You then decided, in order to prove some sort of point or whatever, to go and dig up a post of mine over something that actually affected gameplay at the time it happened to me (unless I'm missing something your friends issue does not affect gameplay) to mock me or whatever. The only way that happens is if you remember such a post or went digging either of which are juvenile at best so I commented accordingly.

Vitriol seems to be a bit of an over the top accusation but whatever... I have been clear that I think JJP hasn't handled any of this well going back to POTC but until your situation is given a chance to be addressed by them, I still don't see the purpose of this thread. That's my opinion of course and in no way does my opinion prevent you, or other members, from posting/creating whatever threads you chose. Think what you will, I admit my original post in this thread lacked any semblance of context and could be deemed as hostile but oh well, that's life...

Jeff

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Okay so lets be clear, you posted in a manor that I felt was over the top. Last time I checked I can comment wherever I want to so unless the rules changed, I commented in a manor that lacked context I'll admit that I thought you were overreacting given that JJP hasn't had a chance to rectify the situation. You then decided, in order to prove some sort of point or whatever, to go and dig up a post of mine over something that actually affected gameplay at the time it happened to me (unless I'm missing something your friends issue does not affect gameplay) to mock me or whatever. The only way that happens is if you remember such a post or went digging either of which are juvenile at best so I commented accordingly.
Vitriol seems to be a bit of an over the top accusation but whatever... I have been clear that I think JJP hasn't handled any of this well going back to POTC but until your situation is given a chance to be addressed by them, I still don't see the purpose of this thread. That's my opinion of course and in no way does my opinion prevent you, or other members, from posting/creating whatever threads you chose. Think what you will, I admit my original post in this thread lacked any semblance of context and could be deemed as hostile but oh well, that's life...
Jeff

Ok, as a fellow POTC CE owner, “we have an accord.” I interpreted your first post as somewhat flippant and terse in light of what my buddy takes as a very unfortunate situation. He also owns a POTC which is also now chipping, and we have all seen JJP’s response to that. I apologize if I read too much into your respnonses.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Ok, as a fellow POTC CE owner, “we have an accord.” I interpreted your first post as somewhat flippant and terse in light of what my buddy takes as a very unfortunate situation. He also owns a POTC which is also now chipping, and we have all seen JJP’s response to that. I apologize if I read too much into your respnonses.

Fair enough, the lack of context on my part started all of this so that's on me. Regardless, JJP needs to get a handle on this now as it's been way to long and the response hasn't been remotely adequate to date. Hopefully JJP takes care of your friends situation accordingly which of course would be either a brand new machine entirely or a completely repopulated play field replacement paid for by JJP...

Jeff

#39 4 years ago

Very sad to see chipping issues persist. My DILE chipped at the SIM hole after 40 plays or so. Fortunately, a Cliffy covered it (and I haven’t had chipping since). Some areas are easier to cover than others.

NIB quality really has become a total crap shoot.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Fortunately, a Cliffy covered it (and I haven’t had chipping since). Some areas are easier to cover than others.

Oh believe me I've feverishly working in my basement on Slingshot hole cover/protectors.

#41 4 years ago

Doesn't Stern also buy from Micro? If so, has anyone complained recently?

#42 4 years ago

Have PF clear had time to fully cure? How long does clear take to harden substantially?

Game less than month old... how old the PF was before Assembly,? Do they have manufactured date like old CGC etc?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Very sad to see chipping issues persist. My DILE chipped at the SIM hole after 40 plays or so. Fortunately, a Cliffy covered it (and I haven’t had chipping since). Some areas are easier to cover than others.
NIB quality really has become a total crap shoot.

This is a different type of issue though, likely related to the clear / clear process itself with the tension put on the playfield by the sling posts along with movement around the sling post area when the slingshots fire. Dialed In uses star posts around the slings and has never had this issue. Something changed in the past year with the playfields Mirco is producing for JJP.

I think Stern get's some of its playfields, not all, from Mirco (need confirmation) so that's likely the reason why this problem isn't occurring as frequent on Stern pins.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This is a different type of issue though, likely related to the clear / clear process itself with the tension put on the playfield by the sling posts along with movement around the sling post area when the slingshots fire. Dialed In uses star posts around the slings and has never had this issue. Something changed in the past year with the playfields Mirco is producing for JJP.
I think Stern get's some of its playfields, not all, from Mirco (need confirmation) so that's likely the reason why this problem isn't occurring as frequent on Stern pins.

Understood. This is more troublesome. I guess my point is from the customers perspective, both are bummers!

#45 4 years ago

Nah. GL OP!

#46 4 years ago

This is worse than the guy giving away his cats

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

This is worse than the guy giving away his cats

Looks like the days of Jersey Jack getting a free pass for poor CQ are over. When he was a start up everyone gave him a free pass because he needed time to get up to speed. Well, plenty of time has gone buy and at $10K a pop for new machines now the free pass has expired. I recently serviced a friends HUO Dialed in with about 100 plays that had a ridiculous amount of assembly line issues that were inexcusable. I won't bore anyone with the details but at the $10K price level the consumer should not have to be a high level tech just to get his machine to work properly.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Doesn't Stern also buy from Micro? If so, has anyone complained recently?

I've heard they do fill ins with Mirco, but never seen any proof, except that Stern has had the exact same clear bunching problems occasionally, too. Seen it on Iron Maiden and Beatles recently.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Looks like the days of Jersey Jack getting a free pass for poor CQ are over. When he was a start up everyone gave him a free pass because he needed time to get up to speed. Well, plenty of time has gone buy and at $10K a pop for new machines now the free pass has expired. I recently serviced a friends HUO Dialed in with about 100 plays that had a ridiculous amount of assembly line issues that were inexcusable. I won't bore anyone with the details but at the $10K price level the consumer should not have to be a high level tech just to get his machine to work properly.

You have to have a huge pair of brass balls to charge customers 8K-12K per machine and continue to allow the same quality issues to leave your factory.

#50 4 years ago

I've heard their playfields are being made in China. Not sure if there's any truth to that rumor but that could explain it. Hey what do you expect for almost $10k?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Brownsburg, IN
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.