(Topic ID: 280150)

Wonka - Is it missing bass notes in the sound?

By Fordiesel69

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinWoofer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3E8FF894-59BC-49EA-81B0-E6920F108444 (resized).jpeg
D48150B8-6C15-42C3-9977-547EF11C4105 (resized).jpeg
controls pic (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Does anyone else notice the Woz, DI, and other JJP games have a very full spectrum of sound with plenty of bass? The wonka seems to not have any whatsoever in the sound tracks or effects. Am I the only one that notices this?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Fordiesel69:

Does anyone else notice the Woz, DI, and other JJP games have a very full spectrum of sound with plenty of bass? The wonka seems to not have any whatsoever in the sound tracks or effects. Am I the only one that notices this?

This has been a complaint ... if u hook up a powered subwoofer it helps but Wonka definitely does not have alot of lower end sound. Some of the modes do but overall not much bass

#3 3 years ago

I agree that the audio from my WWLE is thin and almost tinny. I tried connecting a good set of headphones the to the machine and it helped a little but I'm afraid as others have said that there is not much bass to be had on this soundtrack.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

This has been a complaint ... if u hook up a powered subwoofer it helps but Wonka definitely does not have alot of lower end sound. Some of the modes do but overall not much bass

Polk Audio 10” sub $100

#5 3 years ago

JJP really needs to address the issue. No reason with the factory stereo they cannot at least get some midrange and lower frequencies.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Polk Audio 10” sub $100

+1 The Polk 10” subwoofer.

I just got a wonka le and added the subwoofer plus the Pin sub woofer kit from the Pinovators.

The sound is still thin at times, but the extra base brings it MUCH closer to where it deserves to be from an audio standpoint.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Polk Audio 10” sub $100

I have one on all my pins.. wonka just doesn't have many low tones but it definitely helps and reccomend it to anyone .

#8 3 years ago

Sound mix settings

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Sound mix settings [quoted image]

I've tried many things.. there Just isnt alot of lower frequency content in the game... not s big deal as its just how it is and di and Wonka are still my all time favorite pins.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I've tried many things.. there Just isnt alot of lower frequency content in the game... not s big deal as its just how it is and di and Wonka are still my all time favorite pins.

Gotcha - some folks don't know you can mix em up

#11 3 years ago

Gotcha - some folks don't know you can mix em up

Appreciated. Tried it. Just not there as already mentioned.

#12 3 years ago

Sound mix settings [quoted image]

While level adjustments are available I was surprised to find out that there is no bass & treble level adjustment. It seems it would be easy to implement in the software. I hope JJP will add bass & treble adjustments in future software updates.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

While level adjustments are available I was surprised to find out that there is no bass & treble level adjustment. It seems it would be easy to implement in the software. I hope JJP will add bass & treble adjustments in future software updates.

Hobbit has a bit different mix I think. Not certain.

#14 3 years ago

While I do agree that I think JJP should handle this in software (ALSA mixer already has a bass/treble adjustment - it would just need to be exposed in the menu), the PinWoofer is a great upgrade which keeps everything in the game (I.e. no external box) and installs very easily.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Quoted from RellikJM:

Agree on the stock audio; its thin and lacks presence but there is actually some wonderful bass content in the track itself. However, it goes unrealized due to the lack of amplification provided by the system.

One of the goals of our new GT amplifier was to add tone controls (bass/cut/treble) not only for the 90's and 00's titles, but also for the JJP's. I did a write-up detailing my take on JJP's setup and what we offer if you are interested in reading about it:

https://pinwoofer.com/blog/pinwoofer-jersey-jack-audio-overview/

Here is where we advise running Wonka with the PinWoofer GT system (depending on volume, I like to change up the Bass Freq / cutoff as pictured):

https://pinwoofer.com/blog/pinwoofer-jersey-jack-pinball-willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-amplifier-settings/

Thanks

controls pic (resized).jpgcontrols pic (resized).jpg
3 months later
#16 3 years ago

Posted this in the “club” thread and was immediately met with arguments as usual...should have posted here. So let me start by saying that if you are reading this and you are happy with the stock sound, awesome. Move along No need to argue it here. I do believe though, that if you are just “okay” with the sound, or even just someone who likes to experiment, you should at least give the damping a try anyway, bc better is always better.
I bought the Elac SUB1010 and the Pinnovators kit that SBrothers mentioned above. About $150 total and well worth it. After a day of tweaking, I’m actually happy with the sound now. I’ve finally got it sounding as good or better than the JPP sitting next to it. I turned the low pass all the way up, making it as involved as possible in the audio, and adjusted the sub volume to blend so it’s not too boomy. IMO though, the most important thing I did was dampen the tweeters. I used a stack of gauze pads and some black carbon filter material I had lying around, and it helped tremendously. Just added/removed material until I found a nice balance that wasn’t too harsh and wasn’t too muffled sounding. That carbon material is cheap and makes it look like it was meant to be there, but it’s just what I had on hand. Many things will work for this, just play around with it. Maybe one day they will finally put a bass and treble adjustment in a software update, but until then, this is the best you can do. Location and room makeup will make everyone’s experience different, but I highly recommend giving this a try. Tweeters are the only thing pointing right at your head and they overwhelm everything. Even if you don’t have a sub, I’d experiment with turning the volume up and damping the mids and tweeters so you can actually hear the bass. There’s a lot more there than the “defenders of the crown” will tell you or than you would think I play my pins close to arcade volume, and this game gave me a headache before. Literally. Sounds great now. I love this pin and theme otherwise, and this simple tweak will help ensure that I keep it around permanently. Would be curious to know if this helps any of you who have already added a sub as well. Hope this helps someone...

D48150B8-6C15-42C3-9977-547EF11C4105 (resized).jpegD48150B8-6C15-42C3-9977-547EF11C4105 (resized).jpeg
#17 3 years ago

I have been meaning to do the same with the sound dampening. DI has the same problem and I believe it is due to how the speakers in the top bar are set up. They are pointed upwards and a metal plate directs the sound forwards towards you. The metal plate inside has some other purpose that I cant recall right now but it gives the sound as if it is literally coming from a plastic horn type speaker. So my intention was to open the top sound bar up and add some sound dampening material to the inside. At very least add some to the metal plate, the rest of the cabinet might be fine left as is. It is going to be a process so I haven't done it yet.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

I have been meaning to do the same with the sound dampening. DI has the same problem and I believe it is due to how the speakers in the top bar are set up. They are pointed upwards and a metal plate directs the sound forwards towards you. The metal plate inside has some other purpose that I cant recall right now but it gives the sound as if it is literally coming from a plastic horn type speaker. So my intention was to open the top sound bar up and add some sound dampening material to the inside. At very least add some to the metal plate, the rest of the cabinet might be fine left as is. It is going to be a process so I haven't done it yet.

Awesome. I was going to try to get in there myself and see how the speaker cabinet was set up, but that totally makes sense if there’s a metal plate in there...Do you have a pic of it? Wonder if we can glue some foam or car audio damping material on it without screwing anything up.

#19 3 years ago

Every JJP game I’ve ever owned (all except Wonka, ironically) has had this issue. The problem is not the speaker positioning, it’s that the speakers plug directly into the computer’s motherboard audio outs, which has a pathetically low powered amplifier.

PinWoofer is the best way to go here. Reversible (though you will never ever remove it), easy to install, and WOW what a difference.

#20 3 years ago

It looks to me like the back box speaker bar connects to the amplifier board. The only thing I can see that plugs directly into the CPU is the cabinet headphone jack.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Every JJP game I’ve ever owned (all except Wonka, ironically) has had this issue. The problem is not the speaker positioning, it’s that the speakers plug directly into the computer’s motherboard audio outs, which has a pathetically low powered amplifier.
PinWoofer is the best way to go here. Reversible (though you will never ever remove it), easy to install, and WOW what a difference.

Yeah, looked into the Pinwoofer and it looks like an excellent product. It’s probably the best way to go, but I’m just too cheap I guess...There’s usually more than one way to skin a cat, and I’ve achieved a sound at least as good as (family thinks better than) my JPP by just adding that sub and damping the tweeters and mids. My WW was a combination of issues. Upward firing mids (possibly with a metal plate inside), tweeters in the face, poor amplification, and my biggest issue, which is the lack of adjustments/mixer. IMO, most people who were critical of the “slot machine” sounds on this pin don’t realize that it’s just the bad sound mix/lack of bass.

Quoted from pinstyle:

It looks to me like the back box speaker bar connects to the amplifier board. The only thing I can see that plugs directly into the CPU is the cabinet headphone jack.

Agree. My manual shows an amplifier board.

#22 3 years ago

Yep, probably several issues going on here. A sub will no doubt improve the sound but I am just not one to add anything to my machines if I don't have to. So I may just try dampening the sound inside the cabinet for those mids when I get around to it. I have even thought about just doing what you did and dampening them externally but I haven't come across any suitable material yet. The right piece of foam would do good.

#23 3 years ago

Here's another option for more bass! Takes abut 15min and under $85 too!

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Darkfader:

Man...wish I would have come across that video sooner. That’s the way I would go for sure. Best of both worlds. Cheap, and no external speaker. I may give that a try down the road anyway. Thanks.

3 weeks later
#25 3 years ago

So...I’m still playing with the sound on this pin because I have a tweaking sickness ...but anyway, I will be adding these L-pads to the tweeters this weekend to see if I can get things sounding even better (no more damping material muffling the highs). These are cheap - $5 each - and will allow me to control the output of the tweeters. I think this will be the final solution for me. I’ll then be able to adjust the tweeters and sub separately, while using the game volume pretty much for the mids only...a poor man’s EQ. The only other thing I may do is add wool or other light damping inside the mid cabinet, but don’t think I’ll have to. The more I play this pin, the more it’s becoming one of my all-time favorites, and I can’t overstate just how much getting the sound right takes this game to a new level. My kids never touch my JPP anymore...wait...that sounds a little funny...my Jurassic Park Pro . I’ll take pics and post them if anyone else is as crazy as me and wants to give this a go. It’s actually a really easy job if you can solder a little. Cheers.

3E8FF894-59BC-49EA-81B0-E6920F108444 (resized).jpeg3E8FF894-59BC-49EA-81B0-E6920F108444 (resized).jpeg

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Darkfader:

Very nice, just what the doctor ordered for my Wonka LE. Might give this a shot and if I like it, will also put on on GNR LE. Thanks for sharing!

#27 3 years ago

Recently I installed the Pinwoofer-System to Willy Wonka. It's much better now. I left the original speakers in and they sound really well in combination with Pinwoofer.
Not really cheap but worth the money (so far I used an external sub under each of my pinball machines; but Pinwoofer is much better in regard of full sound improvement - not only bass)

There are now a lot of adjustments possible; finding the right combination/setting of the SW-adjustments and Pinwoofer needs some time (I am still trying out to find the perfect settings).

But to be honest: the wow-effect on EHOH and IMDN is much bigger. But love it on WW as well.

Recommendation from my side given.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from dergroover:

Recently I installed the Pinwoofer-System to Willy Wonka. It's much better now. I left the original speakers in and they sound really well in combination with Pinwoofer.
Not really cheap but worth the money (so far I used an external sub under each of my pinball machines; but Pinwoofer is much better in regard of full sound improvement - not only bass)
There are now a lot of adjustments possible; finding the right combination/setting of the SW-adjustments and Pinwoofer needs some time (I am still trying out to find the perfect settings).
But to be honest: the wow-effect on EHOH and IMDN is much bigger. But love it on WW as well.
Recommendation from my side given.

Great to see some feedback dergroover ! The Wonka track is eclectic having wonderfully mastered orchestral passages, combined with low quality 1970's Gene Wilder sound bites from the movie. The expander board electronics were a real challenge because of this but the outcome is the improvement in the mids that you are now hearing. There's no denying that the PinWoofer system is in play the moment you plunge the ball - I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!

Below are the recommended settings for the menu and the PinWoofer amp - I think this will be helpful dergroover :

https://pinwoofer.com/blog/pinwoofer-jersey-jack-pinball-willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-amplifier-settings/

Thank you!

-Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.99
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,600 (OBO)
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 25.50
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-is-it-missing-bass-notes-in-the-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.