4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Score motor (resized).png

#1 4 years ago

Hi ... Thanks for reading this ... Last night I went to help a friend who has a Williams Jackpot (EM) ... Previously, It was working ... then stopped, he had someone come "fix" it > it worked, then the next day, it didn't ... I went and fiddled with it last night ... As I recall > the score motor and 2 score reel reset relays were "running" (the 2 score reel reset relays on left side of cabinet > if you are looking in the head ... from the back) ... I got it "working" (played 8 games ... no problems) ... he turned it on today and played 1 game and then the score motor just kept running (won't start a new game) ... Last night, I checked all the score reels contacts for Player 1 to 3 (and adjusted a few) and then it was "working" ... (I never checked Player 4 > because it was "working") ... Any ideas ??? Score reels? Player Unit?? Score Motor??? Also > 10,000 score reel coil was burnt and seized (on Player 2) > so I took the bracket off the coil, manually rest that score reel to Zero, before I fiddled with anything ... since that coil was toasted > when I got it working, I only played 1 Player games .... (not sure if that matters ... but just in case) ... I am sure there is a problem that caused that score reel to lock on (I did find 2 wires that looked like they were touching > and separated them > so was hoping that resolved the coil locked on issue) ... BUT if you want to comment on that > please do ... Or I can make a separate thread if I get it going and am having problems with that ... THANK YOU for any help you can give !! P.S. My friend is getting frustrated ... wants to sell the game (it is in Very Good Condition ... 7.5 out of 10) ... but it was a surprisingly fun game to play ... and I would like to get it working for him ... but if anyone wants to buy it > LMK (that would save me a headache ... I have couple pinballs of my own to work on ... LOL)

#2 4 years ago

Sounds like the score reels need cleaned and then adjust the contacts. They are pretty close, but I bet they haven't been rebuilt for nearly forty years.

#3 4 years ago

Don't think score reels have even been rebuilt ... some of the contacts were very close together ... just wanted to make sure I wasn't working on wrong thing ... Thanks !

#4 4 years ago

Here is a link to the schematics (In case you don't have them)
https://www.ipdb.org/files/1279/Williams_1971_Jackpot_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

The score motor can be kept running for a number of reasons. One is the score reels zeros are not registering.
Here is a snippet of the schematic related to the score motor.

Do any of the score reels move while it is resetting?
If so there might be a stuck playfield switch that is trying to score points and then it is being reset by the motor.

Otherwise you will have to check each switch/relay for the score motor to see which is supplying power.
Score motor (resized).pngScore motor (resized).png

#5 4 years ago

It was score reel contacts .... THANKS !! Got it going !

#6 4 years ago

Maybe an idea to check the screws holding the stacks?
They can become lose some times, giving these intermittent problems (other counters that won't reset).
Had that problem a few times, nowadays one of the first things to check before working on the machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Life's Add-Ons
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/won-t-start-new-game-score-motor-running-williams-jackpot- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.