(Topic ID: 63186)

Belles & Chimes, women's pinball league in Oakland, CA

By Flamethrower

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bellesandchimesflyer.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I apologize for not posting about this sooner. I'm starting a pinball league for women in downtown Oakland. Our first meeting is today, September 15th at 4pm.

I realize that is probably too short notice for tonight, but we will have seven more meetings over the fall season. Players who attend at least three meetings will qualify to participate in league playoffs. Cost to play in the league is $10.

We will have four meetings on Sunday afternoons at 4pm: September 15, October 6, October 20, November 10. We will also have four meetings on Monday evenings at 7:30pm: September 30, October 14, October 28, November 25.

Meetings will be held at Rico's Hi-Life at 400 15th Street in downtown Oakland (15th and Franklin). There is ample street parking available in the vicinity, and the location is about two blocks from the 12th Street/City Center BART station as well as several major bus lines.

I'm happy to answer any questions people have. Otherwise, hope to see some of you ladies there! Men, please pass this on to any Bay Area based woman pinball enthusiasts you know.

bellesandchimesflyer.jpgbellesandchimesflyer.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Nice! Sounds like a good time, good luck with this!

#3 10 years ago

That's cool. Good luck with it!

#4 10 years ago

Good stuff. Hope a whole bunch of ladies show up tonight. Be sure to go easy on the noobs though. If you show them all your skills on the first night, they won't come back! d

#5 10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! We had thirteen women come to play for our first night. It was really fantastic, everyone had a great time. And I've gotten a lot of interest from other women who want to come to future events.

I've posted a brief recap on our blog, along with some of Gene's awesome photos: http://blog.bellesandchimespinball.com/2013/09/scenes-from-belles-chimes-meeting-1/

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Flamethrower:

Thanks, everyone! We had thirteen women come to play for our first night.

that's a great turn out! Well done.

#7 10 years ago

Nice work. Looks like Bella went easy on you guys. Keep an eye on her. She looks innocent enough, but she can be a real shark when she puts her mind to it. Lost $50 to her on Popeye just two league nights ago. d

#8 10 years ago

You gamble with 9 year olds!?

#9 10 years ago

You gamble with 9 year olds!?

We say we're betting 'M&M's', so her parents don't know. Please keep this to yourself. I need to get that $50 back!

Bella is an awesome kid. I'm always happy to see her at league. Nick and Jaymie are awesome too. All three will represent pinball well in the future. Now you're recruiting more ladies into the hobby. Very good stuff indeed. Thank you for your efforts. I won't ever get to play in your league, but I damb sure can appreciate it.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! We had thirteen women come to play for our first night. It was really fantastic, everyone had a great time. And I've gotten a lot of interest from other women who want to come to future events.
    I've posted a brief recap on our blog, along with some of Gene's awesome photos: http://blog.bellesandchimespinball.com/2013/09/scenes-from-belles-chimes-meeting-1/

I need to move up north...Very cool

2 months later
    #11 10 years ago

Updating this topic now that our first season is over. It was fantastic, absolutely exceeded my expectations. We averaged 12-15 players per meeting, and had a total of 37 players over the course of the season, more than half of whom had never participated in organized pinball before. I had a ton of fun and got to meet a bunch of really amazing women.

We also got some media attention this week! The East Bay Express, Oakland's alt-weekly paper ran a story about the league in yesterday's paper: http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/a-league-of-their-own/Content?oid=3767283 and a local online news site, Oakland North, did a audio/visual slideshow featuring quotes from some of our players: http://vimeo.com/79822332

I encourage any women pinball players in the Bay Area to sign up for our e-mail list, I'd love to see you at one of our events sometime!

#12 10 years ago

This is a super cool league as I've been by to check it out and take some photos (and play pinball on the machines they weren't playing). EKA is a great player and everyone is pretty nice and there's such a diverse group of women. I'm sure the next season will be awesome and their t-shirts are sweet. EKA can anyone get those?

#13 10 years ago

Sorry, Gene! Our shirts are for dues-paying members only. They are pretty awesome, though!

#14 10 years ago

Right on! Was asking for a female friend but she's not in the league.

#15 10 years ago

Hmm..and you have it on the right night(s) that I might be able to make it for the next season, at least to check it out. I'm just not into competitive league format playing. Wish there was an even more informal group of us ladies getting together. Perhaps next year there could be a presence of more women at PAGG that are seriously into pinball.

#16 10 years ago

Whenever I invite my buddies over for a night of pinball, I wlways encourage them to bring their wives. Most of them do and usually the wives kick my high scores' butts, but I will never tell Forbelsop that! LOL

#17 10 years ago

Gene, you should tell her to come play with us next season! Attendance at one meeting + dues gets you a shirt.

caligirl, you should definitely come play with us sometime. Several of our players said they've tried out other leagues and not liked the experience very much, but they love playing with us. We also plan to start hosting some informal meetups with different play formats on non-league nights, so you should definitely sign up for our e-mail list to be notified of events: http://eepurl.com/DDiKv

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/womens-pinball-league-in-oakland-ca-starts-915 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.