wolverine-remount-1.jpg
image_8.jpeg
image_7.jpeg
image_6.jpeg
image_5.jpeg
image_4.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
#1 11 years ago

I've been lazy up until now and have put off the Wolvie remount for quite a while. Also never bothered complaining to the distributor so I don't have any spare figure in case I messed up.

Similar to "Buckles" remount:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xmen-wolverine-toy-remount-made-a-new-mounting-bracket-to-keep-him-straight

I also happened to have bought the exact same bracket from Home Depot quite a while back. I wanted to keep the butchering of Wolvie to a minimum so I made a bracket which fits inside him. In essence this relocates the holes on the mounting pole. Doing it this way serves two purposes. One, I don't need to extend any holes in the back of Wolvie. And two, because of not having to extend any holes, I don't need to worry about him shifting around after being bashed around. I only had to enlarge the hole underneath Wolvie in order to shift him over. Found this to be the slightly cleaner mod should I ever decide to reverse the changes. I'm surprised no one had done it this way yet.

You need the following:
- Home Depot bracket - Simpson Strong Tie ER-102 (about $2)
- Dremel with a cut-off wheel, or hacksaw if you want a challenge
- Drill and various drill bits
- Metal file or sandpaper for deburring
- #6-32 tap
- 2 x #6-32 taper head screws either 3/8" or 1/2" in length
- Vice and hammer
- X-acto blade
- Beverage of choice, caffeinated preferred

Sorry, I didn't take down any measurements but you'll get the idea from the photos. I dremeled out a small square piece from the Home Depot bracket. Using a pencil and the little OEM rectangular bracket behind Wolvie as a guide, I marked off the vertical distance of the holes on this square piece. The horizontal distance of the holes need to be just far enough apart such that when mounted, the left side holes clear the mounting pole when looking from behind Wolvie (Refer to image_5.jpg). You need to drill two small holes and two larger holes on this square piece. The two small holes will be threaded using a #6-32 tap. Then make two larger holes and counter sink them. I don't have a drill press so I did my best to counter sink. This will allow the lowest possible profile for the taper head screws to sit when installed since they will be pressed against the inside of Wolvie's back. See image_3.jpg as a height comparison. Using a metal file or sand paper, deburr any rough edges left by dremeling/hacksawing/drilling. Finally, I put this square piece into my vice and bent it a bit using a hammer and my metal leveler. I bent it so that Wolvie's body will be turned slightly and also it helps the holes clear the mounting pole better.

Using an X-acto blade, I enlarged the hole underneath Wolvie. It does cut like butter. I found that it was much easier to reinstall Wolvie by removing the mounting pole. It is only 4 nuts holding it down underneath the playfield. So using the two #6-32 taper head screws, I put the square bracket onto the mounting pole. Slap Wolvie over it and reinstall using the original hardware (ie, little OEM bracket and two original #6-32 screws). Reinstall mount by putting the 4 nuts back on. Turn machine on and do switch test to ensure Wolvie still works. There was no clearance issues underneath his left elbow. Then do Ice Man ramp test. After doing the Ice Man ramp test, I found that Wolvie's claw was a bit too high and impeded the ramp. I thought maybe Wolvie was mounted too high and I would need to make another bracket to correct this issue by slightly altering the height of the holes. But after taking a closer look, I realized that Wolvie cannot be mounted any lower since his back would impede the functioning of the switch. As a result, I just went medieval by putting downward force on his body and arm. Wolvie is a tough X-Men so he can take it. It is okay for now, but the plastic tends to want to bend back to it's original form. Wolvie does have natural healing powers. Later on I may take a blow drier or heat gun to his arm and see if I can coerce him some more. And last on the list, break open a cold one and play some pinball.

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg image_4.jpegimage_4.jpeg image_5.jpegimage_5.jpeg image_6.jpegimage_6.jpeg

#2 11 years ago

Sorry if you see double images. Pinside gave an error posting the last two pictures.

image_7.jpegimage_7.jpeg image_8.jpegimage_8.jpeg

#3 11 years ago

Thanks for the post. I also wondered if it would make sense to fill the figure with that "great stuff" foam to reduce the flex at the mount since the figure is hollow. Not sure if it would add too much weight to it though.

#4 11 years ago

Personally I wouldn't fill it as it may make the figure difficult to remove in the future should you need to make any tweaks. Also, filling with foam may impede the functionality of the switch mechanism which works in conjunction with the mounting pole.

#5 11 years ago

So your picture of the mounted wolverine seems to show the original not new bracket

#6 11 years ago

The new bracket gets screwed onto the mounting pole as shown on image_5.jpg. It gets covered up once you put Wolvie back in place (it's inside the figure). The original bracket goes back on the outside as before.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So your picture of the mounted wolverine seems to show the original not new bracket

I think the new piece inside Wolverine and the screws through his back go into the new piece.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from kungfucop:

The new bracket gets screwed onto the mounting pole as shown on image_5.jpg. It gets covered up once you put Wolvie back in place (it's inside the figure). The original bracket goes back on the outside as before.

Ok that makes sense. Thank you.

#9 11 years ago

Very nice! Now that's using the old noggin' to remount Wolvie. In theory Wolvie doesn't really need new holes and the post doesn't need to be moved (but would have been nice), all you need to do is add the bracket on as you've done and shift Wolvie over that way.

Nice summary and pictures, helpful indeed.

I forgot that I posted up on the larger bracket that I made for Wolvie. It's been 4 months now and Wolvie has held up great since I put that bracket on, worked out well and my Wolvie doesn't lean over any more and catch balls with his shaved down elbow.

#10 11 years ago

nice work

#11 11 years ago

when they figure out how to finish this game, I will be buying one.

3 months later
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

Heyoooooooooooooooo! Well played!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

It's in pretty good shape as it stands right now. Excellent game IMO.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

It's in pretty good shape as it stands right now. Excellent game IMO.

His post was made before the latest code update so I don't know if his opinion would change as it is way better now with the new code.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

His post was made before the latest code update so I don't know if his opinion would change as it is way better now with the new code.

Didn't see that. Good catch.

4 months later
#17 10 years ago

I recently used this method to remount my Wolverine and am very happy with the results, thanks kungfucop!

I've put 75+ plays on my X-Men since doing the remount. Tonight I took off the Wolverine to take pictures of the new bracket, and to see how it has handled the plays. As you can see in the first picture it is holding up very well... the holes look about the same as they did before IIRC.

Also for those that are interested, the size of the new bracket that I made is 3/4" wide and an 1" tall. I included images to hopefully help with the hole placement and to show the angle of the bracket and the modification I made to the base.

I would recommend this mod to anyone with an LE, the improvement in gameplay is big IMO.

wolverine-remount-1.jpgwolverine-remount-1.jpg
wolverine-remount-2.jpgwolverine-remount-2.jpg
wolverine-remount-3.jpgwolverine-remount-3.jpg
wolverine-remount-4.jpgwolverine-remount-4.jpg
wolverine-remount-5.jpgwolverine-remount-5.jpg

#18 10 years ago

A couple more...

wolverine-remount-6.jpgwolverine-remount-6.jpg wolverine-remount-7.jpgwolverine-remount-7.jpg

#19 10 years ago

Glad it worked out for you Keebler. I couldn't help but notice that your Wolvie figure has a Phillips screw going thru his right shoulder. I don't recall mine having one. Is the angle of his arm adjustable on yours? Also, in your last photo it almost appears as if his right arm is raised higher than most other figures I've seen unless it is just the angle of your photo. If not then maybe you received a figure from a later batch that addresses the claw hitting the Ice-Man ramp. Would you mind posting a photo with the Ice-Man ramp going across his claws? I'm curious as to the placement of your figure and his claws relative to the ramp. Thanks.

Good job on the remount!

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from kungfucop:

Glad it worked out for you Keebler. I couldn't help but notice that your Wolvie figure has a Phillips screw going thru his right shoulder. I don't recall mine having one. Is the angle of his arm adjustable on yours? Also, in your last photo it almost appears as if his right arm is raised higher than most other figures I've seen unless it is just the angle of your photo. If not then maybe you received a figure from a later batch that addresses the claw hitting the Ice-Man ramp. Would you mind posting a photo with the Ice-Man ramp going across his claws? I'm curious as to the placement of your figure and his claws relative to the ramp. Thanks.
Good job on the remount!

I think he said in another thread that he raised the arm up and then used the screw to keep the arm in place as it would slowly slip back down.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I think he said in another thread that he raised the arm up and then used the screw to keep the arm in place as it would slowly slip back down.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I found that a heat gun worked well for me. But you gotta be careful not to heat it for too long and also to protect the playfield if you plan on doing it with the figure mounted in place.

#22 10 years ago

Yeah, I moved the arm myself. It was preventing the Iceman ramp from from getting to the left ramp out of the box, so I had to deal with it right away. It occurred to me that I could just move the arm over across his chest and solve the problem. I removed the figure from the playfield and used a hair dryer to move it. It wanted to move back to it's original position over time though, so I used that screw to keep it in place. The screw does allow me to adjust the position a little as well.

wolverine-iceman-ramp-1.jpgwolverine-iceman-ramp-1.jpg
wolverine-iceman-ramp-2.jpgwolverine-iceman-ramp-2.jpg
wolverine-iceman-ramp-3.jpgwolverine-iceman-ramp-3.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wolverine-remount-a-variation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.