Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Wolffdp
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l1603450_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4507[1]_(resized).JPG
    7-digit_closed_5s_red_half_edit_crop_adjusted_(resized).jpg
    7-digit_8s_open_(resized).jpg
    7-digit_assembled_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lindsey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 8 years ago

Another option would be to use an old PC power supply for the +5V. I'm surprised I don't see more people doing this. The power supply is basically free and will provide more than enough juice.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

If you're updating the 7 digit design and haven't done so yet, any chance of including the option to install or not (jumper bypass) a cmos decoder (4555 or whatever equivalent takes your fancy) to allow some of the older 6 digit games with custom 7 digit home ROMs to display 7 digits? These 6 digit games don't have factory wiring support for the 7th digit, the custom home ROMs select digit 7 by enabling digit 5 and 6 at the same time which the decoder takes care of.
    The current home brew solution is to cut a couple of wires in the harness to the display board and install a small 4555 decoder PCB before the digit 5 and 6 enable signals reach the displays and also run an extra wire to each display for the 7th digit.
    This is for games like Paragon, Star Trek, Kiss etc.
    I'll be designing and building my own 7 digit displays for personal use with this feature built in so I don't have to modify any cabling.

Thanks! This is good info for someone designing new displays.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Big, ugly and noisy hehe. But I think mainly, there'd be some wiring hacks unless the displays had an extra header for an auxiliary 5v connection. You'd have to tie it in at J3 pin #17 (5v to displays) and J3 pin #20 (GND to displays). Any extra steps/hacks and it immediately takes it out of something that's super-easy, plug-and-play which is what most people want.
    You could actually just take a small cell phone/tablet/etc switching power supply and use that as well. Those things are small.. and pretty cheap. Though they're *harder* to find rated at over 1A.

I was implying that you would use the PC supply for all of the +5V, replacing the linear regulator. It would be way overkill for just the displays and you'd be better off with a wall-wart, as you mentioned. I would recommend getting a good quality one in that case. Lots of crap power supplies out there these days.

Big is an issue, but manageable, loud is also manageable, and everything inside a pinball machine is ugly as sin. Mount it in the cabinet and it should look fine. I doubt you'd hear the fan. You could probably re-use existing wiring in many cases. You could also use a Peter Chou style arcade power supply and you get a smaller, quieter power supply than a PC supply.

I'm not necessarily advocating for big ass PC supplies, but there are TONS of options for +5V supplies that are basically free which could be used. I'm still surprised I don't see more people doing that. Personally, I like the option that replaces the linear regulator with a buck converter supply in the footprint of the original regulator.

There's no real drop-in solution (IMO). I don't consider a replacement of the regulator to be a drop-in. Once you have a soldering iron in your hand it's all pretty much the same difficulty level.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I have an idea for a drop-in solution I posted about (link is earlier in this thread). Originally I was thinking of just handling the displays, but it should do allow for a replacement of the on-board linear supply all-together if 2x 3A EZSBC regulators are used. 1x 3A EZSBC handle the machine load and a 2nd one to handle the display 5v. At this point, I'm not seeing any reason why it wouldn't work. All the 5v voltages then split out from the add-on board (mpu-500mA, lamp driver-low mA, solenoid driver power-800mA). The 11.9vdc line gets a large reduced load. Not sure what the sound boards are pulling off of, but probably daisy-chained off the MPU 5v.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judging-interest-classic-ballystern-led-display-power-supply

Cool! I designed something similar when I designed my LED displays. I used a basic 6A step-down buck converter power supply powering all of the +5V. I didn't consider doing just the displays. That's an interesting idea. I can see where that would be a consideration if using EZSBC regulators. I think you're better off just eliminating the original regulator completely and building your own power supply on the PCB. Just use the example schematic in the buck converter datasheet. I would also make it adjustable. I also considered the option of using the 190V to generate the +5V for the displays as Wolffdp is planning to offer, but I didn't really like leaving the original high voltage power supply in use. That is a problematic supply at the best of times, but admittedly I never looked at the current draw so it might not be a big issue.

Coming up with ideas is the easy part. Building and shipping the boards is what takes effort. It's cool to see so many options coming out for these games. Kudos to everyone building stuff for pinball.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The fans always start to crap out and then the caps blow it up.
    Arcade switching power supplies deliver about 15A of 5V power and are rated for 24/7 duty with no fan.
    About $15 at your local distributor.

Quoted from Lindsey:

You could also use a Peter Chou style arcade power supply and you get a smaller, quieter power supply than a PC supply.

I like PC supplies because they're so plentiful and cheap. Pick a good one and it will last for years. Though I do also prefer arcade game power supplies in general. The +5V being adjustable also makes them a better option. There are not too many cheap options for new arcade style supplies where I live.

I assume most people just run with the original power supply or replace the linear regulator and that's why you don't see too many people exploring other options. I knew an operator with arcade style supplies in a lot of their pinball machines so it's not like it's unheard of, in any case.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lindsey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wolffpac-7-digit-displays-for-ballystern-ss-machines?tu=Lindsey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.