PA020025.jpg
PA020023.jpg
PA020017.jpg
PA020015.jpg
PA020010.jpg
PA020006.jpg
PA020001.jpg
PA020003.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolffdp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 8 years ago

Hi, I'm the guy making these kits. Thanks for the great write-up! I'm relatively new to pinball but I'm an engineer who has been doing design for more than 35 years. This board design came out of my own experience restoring machines and being shocked at the cost to replace dead displays.

The ICs themselves are CMOS so they draw negligible current. The 7-segment LEDs draw 20 mA per segment when on. The Bally pinball machine design has multiplexed displays, i.e. only one digit per display is actually on at any instant in time. So if every digit is showing an '8' (all segments lit) the display should draw about 140 mA. I would figure about 145 mA worst case when accounting for all other loads on the board. If some segments or digits are not lit the current draw will drop proportionately. (e.g. 1 digit showing an '8' = 25 mA, 6 digits showing a '1' = 42 mA )

Absolute worst case: If all 5 displays are on and every digit is showing an '8' they could draw as much as 725 mA total.

#13 8 years ago

I have not tried measuring the actually current draw on the 5V supply. The schematics I have looked at imply that at least 3 different types of voltage regulators were used: LM323K, LAS1405 and 78H05. The 78H05 is rated at 5A and the other two at 3A continuous (and in my experience usually work well beyond the rating). All three have over current and over temperature protection so they should not be damaged if the load ever gets too high. The transformer is actually fused at 4A.

Without actually measuring the boards, it looks like the solenoid driver board is the biggest 5V power hog. Each driver channel looks to draw about 40 mA so about 800 mA. The CPU board about 500 mA, the lamp board a few hundred mA and the sound board less than 100 mA. So my guess would be about 1.6 - 2.0 A on the 5V supply not including the displays. Again, that's just my estimate looking at the schematics.

The inline resistors on the data lines don't actually change the current. They are there mostly for protection from being plugged in with power on and electrical noise. The voltage drop on LEDs is usually a function of the color. If Rottendog is using orange LEDs with 100 ohm resistors, they are probably also drawing about 20 mA per segment.

#14 8 years ago

BY the way, I have been considering selling a 7 digit version of the display kit but sourcing LEDs with the comma is a problem unless I want to go semi-custom from China. Wondering whether people would be interested in a display that only had a decimal point instead of the comma?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolffdp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wolffpac-6-digit-display-kit-review?tu=wolffdp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.