PA020025.jpg
PA020023.jpg
PA020017.jpg
PA020015.jpg
PA020010.jpg
PA020006.jpg
PA020001.jpg
PA020003.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

http://ilaina.wix.com/wolffpac-tech

First of all I’m not a professional tech. I have repaired a few boards but I consider myself still a beginner. I saw this kit on E-bay and was considering it when CNKay recommended it to me. At that point I ordered 2 kits. I looked over the kit when it arrived and it looked very professional and complete. I also looked over the instructions on line and they looked simple and complete.

The PC boards come with a gloss black finish that really looks nice but the gloss finish does make it a little difficult to assemble because of the light glare. However, I’m not sure I’d want that changed because it looks so nice when complete.

Today I built the first one. I made a few changes. I don’t like the locking header pins so I used header pins from GPE without the locking bar. (plus the header pins match the black PC board.) Also I installed IC sockets – Probably not necessary but being my first kit I didn’t want to take the chance I might screw something up.

It took me most of the day to assemble the kit – not that it was difficult (actually it was very easy). Each kit contains two boards and each board has about 135 solder connections. I’m sure most of you could assemble it much quicker but I install a few components then look over my work with a photo loupe before moving on. About the only difficult items were the J2 and J3 connectors – those pins are very close together and some care must be taken when soldering them. But even I managed it without any bridging.

The entire kit went together without any screw up’s and it worked the first time. I was amazed at how well it matched the old glass displays. You can pick it out when the display is off but that’s not a concern to me. All in all it is a well-designed and well-built kit that was easy to assemble even with the minimal skill level. I would recommend this kit for anyone needing a replacement display for their Bally or Stern SS pinball.

PA020003.jpgPA020003.jpg

PA020001.jpgPA020001.jpg

PA020006.jpgPA020006.jpg

PA020010.jpgPA020010.jpg

PA020015.jpgPA020015.jpg

PA020017.jpgPA020017.jpg

PA020023.jpgPA020023.jpg

PA020025.jpgPA020025.jpg

#3 8 years ago

I haven't given them a real good comparison yet. I haven't removed the protective film on the front or installed the foam tape. But just placing them in the backbox they look a good match. The LED segments do show more than the glass but I think once I get the back-glass installed it will be almost not noticeable.

My glass displays don't have locking headers but they are very hard to remove. I have upgraded to all new headers and trifurcon contacts. So I didn't think the locking headers were needed - and the GPE black headers look really good.

PA020026.jpgPA020026.jpg

PA020028.jpgPA020028.jpg

PA020031.jpgPA020031.jpg

#9 8 years ago

I think I read somewhere that the existing 5 volt transistor is 3 amp and that it could be replaced with a 5 amp. I don't know what impact that would do the the rest of the circuits - overloading rectifier, wiring, etc. This stuff is way out of my league.

I don't want to overload my 5 volt circuit so I'll probably install the two new LED displays at the player 4 and ball/credit positions.

For now I'm really happy with the new display - I can't wait to get the other kit built and finish this machine.

Bob

#25 8 years ago

I'd be happy with a 7 digit display without comma's. My Sterns don't use comma's anyway.

Bob

#30 8 years ago

Two hours assembly time is great for the first one. I'll bet your next one will be under an hour. My first kit took most of a day but the second was much less (but then I'm old and slow).

I also had problems with the caps. While I didn't break any, on the second kit I couldn't get the caps to set flush with the board. It works fine, just looks a little bad sticking up on one end.

Still a great kit for the price.

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 10.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wolffpac-6-digit-display-kit-review?tu=oldschoolbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.