Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RobT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Just wondering what people think of WoF? I know there aren't that many about, but for those people who have played the game, whats the general consensus?

#2 12 years ago

I played it quite a bit at PAPA in August. The design is unique, which makes the game a fresh challenge. People complain that the software isn't finished, but in a public setting you'd hardly notice. However, you can get better pins for the price.

#3 12 years ago

It looks like it has a lot to offer. Sadly, it really sucks hard.

#4 12 years ago

i've played it and its a real dark horse. the theme is just ok, and i agree the unfinished software would irk me if i bought one, BUT the gameplay and layout is spot on. dual outlanes, inline drops, a REAL skill shot, unique inlane/drain setup as well. the modes and game are well thought out and don't reward flailers. don't know how much they go for but for around 2k i'd want one.

#5 12 years ago

I only played like 3 or 4 games on one last week, and did not read the rules. Found it interesting and compelling. Several unique items like jespo_19 mentioned. Would like to spend more time with one and really dig into it. Owning? Can't really say yet. fwiw.

#6 12 years ago

Good but does not have the lastability as a long term pin in a collection

#7 12 years ago

There are a LOT of HUO examples of this game around. Don't quote me on the exact specifics, but from what I understand the game sold very poorly. Ultimately, it went to closeout and a lot of people were able to buy it NIB shipped for around $2,200 so a lot of people did.

Just FYI, they tend to be in good shape, they didn't stay on route long and lots were delivered to homes.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

There are a LOT of HUO examples of this game around. Don't quote me on the exact specifics, but from what I understand the game sold very poorly. Ultimately, it went to closeout and a lot of people were able to buy it NIB shipped for around $2,200 so a lot of people did.

Just FYI, they tend to be in good shape, they didn't stay on route long and lots were delivered to homes.

And the game was never complete.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from jespo_19:

don't know how much they go for but for around 2k i'd want one.

They're currently at approximately $2500 for HUO.

#10 12 years ago

hate the gameshow, never played the pin. also, I wouldn't want to own a pin that has incomplete software coding..

#11 12 years ago

Do they every have plans to finish the software?

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from EvilJack:

Do they every have plans to finish the software?

Doesn't seem likely according to discussions on RGP in the past.

#13 12 years ago

I recall reading something somewhere from Dennis Nordman (the designer) saying something about how that is super unlikely as he now works for Jersey Jack.

Not in those exact words, but that's pretty much the gist.

#14 12 years ago

In terms of finessing the software, Keith Johnson said that it's something that he would have to do in his own time. He's made it pretty clear that he has a life and very little free time

#15 12 years ago

For me, I am still undecided about the artwork, whether i really like it or really hate it, the theme isn't to my liking. But the gameplay, playfield layout and just overall uniqueness of the game make it extemely fun and just about the hardest pin I think I have ever played

#16 12 years ago

I really want to like WOF, the double width between the flippers intrigues me. But alas I have yet to have a satisfying game on it after 30 games or so. The pop bumpers play chime sounds reminiscent of an EM which is neat. The skill shot is very hard.

The one I've played sits next to a Shadow pin, so after a game or two it's an easy choice to switch pins.

9 months later
    #17 11 years ago

I see no activity on this forum for the last 9 months so I hope it's not dead. I Picked up a WOF recently. It seems to me that it's getting more of a beating than it deserves due to the software issues. I find the game quite fun and challenging. It's certainly brighter and more cheerful than any other game I've owned. Everybody that comes over immediately relates to the theme (who hasn't seen the TV show and recently at that). It has a lot of great shots and is quite challenging. I'm not saying it beats a classic Bally or Williams game but it really is a fun and challenging game even with the few issues it has. Which is really what I was looking to find. I've noticed a few things but really there only 2 that really bug me and one of those I've only seen twice. Is there a known comprehensive list somewhere of these issues?

#18 11 years ago

To the OP (roadshow16), I'll be bringing my WOF to the UK Pinball Party next weekend, so you can judge for yourself...

Quoted from jespo_19:

i've played it and its a real dark horse. the theme is just ok, and i agree the unfinished software would irk me if i bought one, BUT the gameplay and layout is spot on. dual outlanes, inline drops, a REAL skill shot, unique inlane/drain setup as well. the modes and game are well thought out and don't reward flailers.

jespo_19 has it spot on. Theme is weak and the software is unfinished, but it is a really good game to actually play. You need to be able to nudge the ball around, and also know when to let the ball bounce around, to cradle the ball, or to flip. I have never managed to get through the game far enough to come across the missing wizard mode.

wmsrocks, I have also noticed a few things that shout "Unfinished software!" on WOF recently. When you enter your high score initials, there is no animation or music. Some of the awards from the "Wild Card" lane also are strange, zero multiples of awards in just plain text rather than the normal animations.

#19 11 years ago

It's my guilty pleasure - I simply have to put time on this when I go to Outlane Avoider's house. I love the gameplay - it's so unique and completely unlike any other modern DMD game. Yes, the code is unfinished but in all honestly, I doubt I'll get far enough in to see the missing wizard mode. It's great fun.

#20 11 years ago

Copy/paste from my review here:

Ahh...Wheel of Fortune. Such a polarizing pin. The theme is what it is. It's isn't flashy, dramatic, or an adrenaline rush like a Spiderman or something along those lines. However it does a fantastic job for what it is.

I have said before that WoF is Dennis Nordman's love note to the EM era. The flipper arrangement is unique, well designed, and a perfect throw-back. Add to that inline drop targets and chime sounds from the pop bumpers and you have some great retro love. But it is not all "old school". There is also the wheel, which is wonderfully designed with great movement and lighting effects. There are some very well designed ramps (of course, from the king of cool ramps), a screaming fast orbit shot, and an overall well thought out playfield. It has a great combination of precision target shooting and great flow...a rare combination. There are some great opportunities to backhand shots, and combos are endlessly possible (and even have a mode of their own).

The rules and software are a touchy subject. On one hand the rules are very unique, varied, and a lot of fun to play. On the other hand they are based on an arguably weak theme, and are of course unfinished. The game is perfectly playable as-is, but there is a definite lack of polish which is sorely missed. So much more could be done with the extra ball, special, etc animation and call-outs. What is there is very good, but with just a little more effort and time it could have been great. There is also of course the issue of the missing wizard mode. From what I hear it would have been almost impossible to get to, but I sure would like knowing it was there. The wasted potential on this one is very sad. It will never be a top 10 game, strictly because of the theme and those who can't get past it, but with some software polish I think it could be looked on in a much more positive light than is currently is.

As it is though, if you can get past the theme and give it a fair chance (and you owe it to yourself to try), you will find a fun game with a very unique layout, a nice varied ruleset, some very satisfying shots and combos, a quirky sense of humor, nice colorful playfield art, nudging galore, a fantastic light show, and great multiball + mode stacking.

#21 11 years ago

Thanks Jediturtle,
    There was so much bashing going on for WOF that I was beginning to question my joy of playing the game. I would say that I've owned TZ for 10 years and several other great games for not so long but long enough to know what makes pinball fun. So it's been a bit frustrating to see my wife really not "get it" and have no desire whatsoever to play some of these other games. I can't even get her to touch the TZ with the dark playfield, minor key music score and complicated play (her feelings - definitely not mine). When she ran across WOF with the bright playfield, jeweled inserts, perfect integration between LED and incandescent lighting, instant connection to theme, fast play, and all the other things you called out, she immediate connected. Now she has a high score on WOF that I have not been able to top. It's been worth it for that alone. It's also the game that guests will immediately approach and be mesmerized by.

#22 11 years ago

This pin is also a guilty pleasure pin, we have two here in town at different locations, so I really enjoy it. I think the free spin feature is really cool. I hope people really hate on it, so it will go down in price.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from jespo_19:

i've played it and its a real dark horse. the theme is just ok, and i agree the unfinished software would irk me if i bought one, BUT the gameplay and layout is spot on. dual outlanes, inline drops, a REAL skill shot, unique inlane/drain setup as well. the modes and game are well thought out and don't reward flailers. don't know how much they go for but for around 2k i'd want one.

Jespo is true to his word! He picked one up a few weeks ago. Definitely a game to change things up a bit. You have to really think when playing this one...

#24 11 years ago

I had one for about a year. I really feel like I improved as a player, it was up there with the hardest games I have ever played. I felt like I had to play it in a different way to any other machine I owned. In the end the only reason I sold it was due to lack of space. Looking forward to playing yours at the UK pinball party Outlane Avoider

#25 11 years ago

OK, so I assumed the scoring thing I've seen was one of the main issues in the game. I did manage to capture a video of it in action with my wife's help ("honey, I've locked the ball can you grab the camera"). I was posting it on Youtube when I saw some other guy had a video posted replacing the ramp optos with standard switches. Anybody know if the issue I have in the video is the one referred to in the Stern bug fix or if it's not a software bug at all but a sensor problem?

#26 11 years ago

yeah a bad opto will cause super scoring mode to start! only joking of course, bad optos will cause a super inflated score that no man can ever beat. the WOF i have has a high score set by the prev owner that was likely earned this way, but i'm keeping it there as a motivator. WOF is a hard hard game to keep the ball alive. maybe i'm still not 100% used to the unique flipper arrangement but ball times are down...

#27 11 years ago

Hey, Jespo - last time you posted on this forum it appeared you didn't have a WOF but were hoping to find one for about $2K. I'm really hoping they're not going for anywhere near that cheap or I'm going to realize how much I overpaid for mine. Wife loved it, caught up in the frenzy of an arcade auction...

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from wmsrocks:

Anybody know if the issue I have in the video is the one referred to in the Stern bug fix or if it's not a software bug at all but a sensor problem?

You likely have a bad opto board. WOF got a batch of bad ones. Follow the wires from the optos under the playfield to the small board. I believe WOF has two. Look for the one connected to the ramp optos. If all the connectors look tight, you can either try reflowing the solder on the connector pins, or just buy a replacement board. More than one of the big parts suppliers carry them.

#29 11 years ago

WoF is a fun as hell game. No one really talks about, except by collectors who got them really cheap. Still a fairly affordable game. Shame they pushed em out the door like they did, and had hardly any support for the title. I'd rate Ripleys Believe it or Not higher in the ".....damn....this thing is fun....and its cheap too...and its a SAM powered STERN!!!???" category but Wheel of Fortune isn't far off...with World Poker Tour right behind them.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Copy/paste from my review here:
    Ahh...Wheel of Fortune. Such a polarizing pin. The theme is what it is. It's isn't flashy, dramatic, or an adrenaline rush like a spiderman or something along those lines. However it does a fantastic job for what it is.
    I have said before that WoF is Dennis Nordman's love note to the EM era. The flipper arrangement is unique, well designed, and a perfect throw-back. Add to that inline drop targets and chime sounds from the pop bumpers and you have some great retro love. But it is not all "old school". There is also the wheel, which is wonderfully designed with great movement and lighting effects. There are some very well designed ramps (of course, from the king of cool ramps), a screaming fast orbit shot, and an overall well thought out playfield. It has a great combination of precision target shooting and great flow...a rare combination. There are some great opportunities to backhand shots, and combos are endlessly possible (and even have a mode of their own).
    The rules and software are a touchy subject. On one hand the rules are very unique, varied, and a lot of fun to play. On the other hand they are based on an arguably weak theme, and are of course unfinished. The game is perfectly playable as-is, but there is a definite lack of polish which is sorely missed. So much more could be done with the extra ball, special, etc animation and call-outs. What is there is very good, but with just a little more effort and time it could have been great. There is also of course the issue of the missing wizard mode. From what I hear it would have been almost impossible to get to, but I sure would like knowing it was there. The wasted potential on this one is very sad. It will never be a top 10 game, strictly because of the theme and those who can't get past it, but with some software polish I think it could be looked on in a much more positive light than is currently is.
    As it is though, if you can get past the theme and give it a fair chance (and you owe it to yourself to try), you will find a fun game with a very unique layout, a nice varied ruleset, some very satisfying shots and combos, a quirky sense of humor, nice colorful playfield art, nudging galore, a fantastic light show, and great multiball + mode stacking.

This is an excellent review and I agree with virtually everything that you said.

I had gone to a location to play pinball probably 5 times, and the previous 4 times I played all the pins with the exception of WoF. I didn't know too much about it at the time, other than it wasn't highly rated on the "top 100" lists, and the theme didn't interest me in any way. Finally I decided "what the hell.....I've played everything else here several times...I'll give this a try".

Having low expectations is always a good thing, but even putting that aside, I was extremely impressed with how this pin played! Very unique game play, with unique scoring rules to go along with it. The reference to it being a partial throw back to the EM pins is accurate. Nudging plays a big role in this game.

The "wheel" is one of the best/coolest toys I've seen on any pin. Ever. And it is interactive and obviously perfectly fits the theme.

Ramps are typical of Nordman: smooth and satisfying.

Really too bad about the code never being finished and polished. It really has great potential. I'd still like to pick one up at some point, and will probably do so if I can get one at a good price.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.