Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4410 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

The lockdown bar on my STTNG rocks back and forth like it is pivoting in the middle. I've tightened the 2 brass screws on the top but the problem still persists. It's like the slots that receive the bar are too wide or the arms aren't thick enough. Is there another way to adjust this that I'm missing?

#2 7 years ago

You want to loosen the screws to extend them out, rather than tighten them.

Extending them out pushes them against the lockbar, which should help stabilize it. (not for WPC style lockbars)

The other issue might be that you have an early Williams lockbar installed, rather than a later WPC lockbar, although I haven't tried a early lockbar in a WPC game to see how closely it actually matches (or doesn't match).

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Extending them out pushes them against the lockbar receiver, which should help stabilize the lockbar.

Really?! I thought it only tightened the lock mechanism when they were turned in. I'll have to try your idea since I have a couple of loose bars that won't behave.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Extending them out pushes them against the lockbar, which should help stabilize it.
The other issue might be that you have an early Williams lockbar installed

Excellent. I'll try that one tonight. Seems counter-intuitive on their end, but I will definitely give it a shot. Did they make different types on lockdown bars for Williams widebodies?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Did they make different types on lockdown bars for Williams widebodies?

Oh, that's right--I forgot that STTNG was a widebody There were a few early williams widebodies, but the chances of one of those ending up on a WPC game are probably fairly low.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Excellent. I'll try that one tonight. Seems counter-intuitive on their end, but I will definitely give it a shot. Did they make different types on lockdown bars for Williams widebodies?

It makes sense actually because they are brass so as to protect the lockdown bar's underside. I would have never tried this, but I will tonight!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

It makes sense actually because they are brass so as to protect the lockdown bar's underside.

Yep. I totally get it now. Hopefully this will work for both of us!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Extending them out pushes them against the lockbar, which should help stabilize it.

Sorry, but this isn't correct.

The screws are to adjust the receiver bar which locks to the tabs on the lock bar. The end of the brass screws push down the receiver. Check the photo attached.

Tightening the screws (clockwise) pushes down the receiver, making the lock lever harder to move but pulls down the lock bar tighter against the glass and cabinet trim.

Loosening the screws (counterclockwise) loosens the receiver, making the lock lever easier to move but doesn't pull down so hard against the glass and cabinet.

Sometimes you need to muck around for ages to get it right.

rd

IMG_4410 (resized).JPGIMG_4410 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Sorry, but this isn't correct.

You're right, I was just about to post a correction--some Gottlieb lockbars are like what I described earlier, WPC lockbars use a different mechanism for adjustment.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Sometimes you need to muck around for ages to get it right.

Is this the only method of adjustment? I tightened them to where it was rather difficult to lock the bar in place, so I know it was on there tight. I was still able to get a good amount of wiggle, albeit with a little more force.

#11 7 years ago

Is the beer seal on the lockbar intact? If not, you can try replacing that.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You're right, I was just about to post a correction--some Gottlieb lockbars are like what I described earlier, WPC lockbars use a different mechanism for adjustment.

Maybe go and edit your post.

rd

#13 7 years ago

I agree with adding beer seal (or foam window water-proofing strips). I've had to do this in several machines including a STTNG.

#14 7 years ago

The seal is still on there but I guess I will have to replace it. I wasnt able to get keep the bar from wobbling.

3 years later
#15 3 years ago

I have a Bally Atlantis. I had to buy a replacement lockbar because the old one was old, beat up, and had weld marks on the top. The brand new one is exactly the same but it won’t lock in. How does the locking mechanism work? How do I adjust it? Thank you.

This is the one and the site that I bought it from. This was the best deal that I could find. It is 100% complete and has the foam pad on it. https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=63&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi4WUoNjq7QIVrFPVCh3X5gb-EAQYASABEgJx9_D_BwE

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wobbly-lockdown-bar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.