(Topic ID: 288235)

Wms Touchdown 1967. Range of this drum unit?

By Lloyd-ss

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lloyd-ss
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TouchDownAtHome-3 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Total newbie here, but having fun and learning. With the help of old posts on Pinside I have got this thing working decently but now getting into "its working, but is it working correctly?"
I can't figure out the drum wheel in the lower right of the back box (circled in the picture). The wheel is marked from 1 to 37 but the pins that contact the relay switches seem to limit it to much less than the full 37. Is this a credit counter or something? It has 2 solenoids on it. The little window that it shows through the glass has no label as to what it is. The wheel does change positions during the game, but what is the limit of travel? And if it might have gotten turned on the shaft? Or is it keyed into place?
Thanks for any help.

TouchDownAtHome-3 (resized).jpgTouchDownAtHome-3 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

The pin that is limiting it is likely removable/adjustable. You can unscrew it and put it in a different position. Should be different holes in the credit gear for different max credit options.

#3 3 years ago

That is the credit unit which keeps track of the earned or remaining credits. There are limit switches to keep the credits in a range of zero to some operator settable upper limit. More info at:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Williams_Credit_Unit_Examples

/Mark

#4 3 years ago

Yes, it IS a credit counter. There are historical reasons why everything related to credits was unlabeled in the EM era. The operator of the game could adjust the upper limit; one operator in my part of New England was notorious for setting the Williams games, even the four-player ones, so that the credit wheel would go no higher than 8!

With the power off, you can manually actuate each of the solenoids to see which is add and which is subtract. Then look sideways at the main gear and you will see posts sticking out that open some switches at the zero position and some other switch at the maximum position. The latter post can be screwed into one of several threaded holes to set the limit.
.................David Marston

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for the info gents! So the credit wheel is associated with point score adjustment pins in the top left hand corner in the back box? I didn't realize there were so many ways to "control" the success of the player with these games. This Touchdown game is on freeplay but I haven't yet figured out exactly how that was accomplished, so the actual number of credits is kind of a moot point. Are credits normally earned just by hitting the required point scores, or do the coin relays (when operational) do that too. Sorry, like I said, total newbie.

#6 3 years ago

Got it! I see that one pin has a screwdriver slot in it and a jam nut so that must be the high limit. Clever!

#7 3 years ago

The credit unit has to combine credits from all sources, paid and earned. Paid usually only applies to the 25c slot in American games, but other countries could have two slots that take two different high-value coins. Earned replays would be on score, special, or match.

Free play is usually accomplished by defeating the zero-position switch on the replay counter. The switch blades might always be touching, or a wire could connect the blades electrically.
.................David Marston

#8 3 years ago

David, Thank you for your technical posts. I still have to figure it out and actually fix it, but you are eliminating a bunch of dead ends.
Thanks! Lloyd-ss

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-touchdown-1967-range-of-this-drum-unit- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.