You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180516_195339 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180516_195317 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180424_234039 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180424_234004 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Theonlylilo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Helli guys!
My Time Warp doesn't work properly now. Some garbage numbers appear on the displays and I cannot start a game.
The board is a system 6 completely refurbished: new socket, new connectors, new RAMs and cmos.
The strange thing is that the board passes the Leon test, but with game roms in IC14, IC17 and IC20, pressing the diag button at bench, the top LED remains lit.
From the manual it seems to be a fault game rom but changing them with a new one, the LED remains always lit. Nothing happens changing RAMs & cmos.
So, what can I do or check?
Thanks in advance to everyone help me!
Ciaooo

#3 6 years ago

Yes.. all three roms with a new Blackout set. But no changes

#6 6 years ago

I've also tried to change RAMs (both socketed) but it's always the same..
CS means circuit selection, right?! I can measure the signal compare to a good board, no problem
The trace, could be but.. a week ago the pinball is fully working

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

How are your board level connectors, could they be the culprit?

The connectors around the board? Mmm these are not sympthoms of a bad connector.. but all it is possible

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I would think ROMS or ROM sockets.
When you say garbage, is it possibly a number in P1 and nothing in others? If so, you need to reset the CMOS by entering settings with the coin door open then power cycling the machine.

The garbage is on all 5 displays.. not only P1.
I've changed the ROMs with a good working set but nothing happened and the rom sockets are brand new..

Quoted from zacaj:

It seems weird to me too, but technically every broken board was working a week ago :/
The display garbage is what I get when the game boots and then gets messed up by bad roms or ram usually, and the test says the roms are failing their checksum, so there's got to either be some issue reading one of the roms or something dumping on the data lines
Got any other driver boards you could swap?

Of course, another driver board is not a problem. But the problem is also there during the test, with the upper led lit.. without any driver board

#13 6 years ago

What I mean is the test at the bench, with mpu only and Leon test rom inside. So without any driver board.
And in this case, the board passes the test! But once the Leon rom is replaced by the 3 game roms (always at bench), booting is ok but pressing the diag button the top led remains lit. From the web guides:
"If the top LED remains lit, this is an indication that a read failure occurred on either IC14, IC17 or IC20. However, since the game program is located on IC17 and IC20, it is highly unlikely that you could get to this point if there is a failure of these two ROMs. The game ROM(s) would be suspect if this LED stays on."

Quoted from zacaj:

Do you have a logic probe you can check all the pins of the roms with, to see if they're strobing as they should be?

Yes! Do you have any indication for me?

#16 6 years ago

I've got both.. Andre Boot and yours (but I'm not very able to use it).
So a little update.. using Andre test rom it seems to have an error on IC13 (6810). Changing it with a functioning one, no way. So I remembered that adding R4 and removing jumper j1, with a 6802 I can use only IC16 and bypassing IC13.. problem solved for the moment at bench (tomorrow I want to test in the game for safety reasons ).
BUT NOW.. I would like to know how is possible that IC13 is always in fault. Whatever I put, I have the top LED lit!!! How is possible?!? Now I'm curious... because there must be a reason behind!
Another question.. I have several schemes and guides on sys3-7.. one is from "Mark's pinball pages" and the top LED means a ROM problem, another one is from the "Firepower project" and the top LED means a problem with RAMs... who is right?!

IMG_20180424_234004 (resized).jpgIMG_20180424_234004 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180424_234039 (resized).jpgIMG_20180424_234039 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#18 5 years ago

Update: the board is working but not at 100%.
Despite it passes the bench test, placed in the pinball has a little issue once powered on.
Installed on a working Blackout, with a working driver board, everytime is powered on some words come out from the speaker. After these 3-4 seconds, the pinball is ok and works good. So it seems an high signal which activate the sound. I changed the driver, the cpu, pia, rams and roms but is's always the same..
I'm stucked... any other suggestion?
Thanks guys

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Disconnect 2J9 and 11 and see if it still happens

Simply disconnecting 2J9 the sound disappears.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

Check the blanking circuit. Sounds like it isn't preventing the solenoids from firing like it should at power up.

But other solenoids are not activated.. just someone on 2J9 connector. Have you any tips for me to not use the shotgun method?

Is it maybe related to the problem on IC13?

#23 5 years ago

First consider I'm testing cpu/driver boards in my working Blackout, where I'm totally sure that everything works perfectly.
Just powering up the game (I'm using the switch trick under the cab), always the same sound comes out from the speaker (later I make a video) and lasts approx. 3-4 seconds. But always at the first power on. After, the pinball plays perfectly, nothing strange to notice. All sounds are played well, switches/lamps/solenoids are good.
Disconnecting 2J9 on the driver board, the sounds of course disappears.
About self test... I didn't! But I will do later while I make the video.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

The blanking signal for the solenoids on 2J9 are through IC3 and IC4. It is possible one or more of these AND gates to malfunction, seems unlikely.

I agree if the driver is the culprit, but changing driver with another one (i.e. which one installed in the Blackout) the problem remains, so the issue is on the cpu (in fact the "original Time Warp driver board" placed in another mine sys 3-7 game works good).

I said IC13 because as explained in the first posts of this topic, even if the board passes the bench test, in the game IC13 causes problem. Not the chip itself, but I think data/address lines. And maybe this can affect sound at powering on.

#25 5 years ago

Ok. I took a fast video that shown the issue at powering on.

Here another video about coin door diagnostics

A strange thing could be certainly the digits lit on P1 & P3 displays, and some inserts lit on playfield (random everytime I repeat the diagnosis).

IMG_20180516_195317 (resized).jpgIMG_20180516_195317 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180516_195339 (resized).jpgIMG_20180516_195339 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Theonlylilo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-time-warp-out-of-service-garbage-on-displays?tu=Theonlylilo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.