(Topic ID: 241052)

WMS Time Warp background sound issue

By Theonlylilo

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi everybody. After restoring my Time Warp I had the chance to do some games and I noticed that ocasionally (and sometimes more frequently) it lose the background sound.
I read on Google that there is a bug in the software but it seems a different behavior, I mean...
- when I start the game, the first ball is ok. Background sound ok, targets sound ok.
- Usually with the second ball, the background sound is ok but when I launch the ball, it disappears before hitting whatever on the playfield. The targets sound remains.
- The third ball is the same of the second one.
My board has new capacitors, new sockets, new PIA (to replace the older one from AMI), new solder on board connectors...
I would like to know if someone has my same issue and it is correlate to the famous bug, or I have to check and rebuilt something else on the sound board.
Thanks to everyone will help me.
Ciao!

#2 5 years ago

L3 on ipdb.org fixes this.

#3 4 years ago

But the software bug happens when the outhole kicks twice or the ball drains without scoring. A behavior completely different...
I noticed the L-3 rev, but seems to have other issues like bumper scoring (as per other posts here on Pinside).
Thanks however for your suggestion

#4 4 years ago

I would double check the outhole switch. Maybe it has double switch hits when it kicks. I had a Time Warp that needed that switch adjusted to keep the sound working right.

#5 4 years ago

Has the 40-pin interconnect been replaced? I've seen intermittent connectors cause background sounds to stop.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

But the software bug happens when the outhole kicks twice or the ball drains without scoring. A behavior completely different...
I noticed the L-3 rev, but seems to have other issues like bumper scoring (as per other posts here on Pinside).
Thanks however for your suggestion

The L3 rev on ipdb does NOT have other issues. The scoring bug was a different version. The only difference is the addition of a routine in the outhole routine that checks if you got any score, and if you didn't, it skips turning off the sound (which is the source of the bug in L1 and L2 - the outhole always turns off the sound, but since you're relaunching the ball, it skips the part that turns it back on).

Why not just download and try it if you have an eprom burner it costs you pennies or nothing....
There is no fix for the issue otherwise. Any zero score ball or double hit on the outhole will cause the background sound to drop out.

#7 4 years ago

Interesting I picked one up that had no sound.
I got it working but was wondering why it cut out like that. Never knew about the updated rom

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Has the 40-pin interconnect been replaced? I've seen intermittent connectors cause background sounds to stop.

The boards are completely rebuilt with new sockets and new interboard connector
I will try the L-3 version, surely a good update, but consider my problem is different. The sound sometimes disappears for other troubles as described previously
Happy Easter to everyone!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-time-warp-background-sound-issue?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.