• Latest reply 6 years ago by RAC85
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tip102c (resized).png

#1 6 years ago

I’m working on a Williams Space Shuttle, (System9). After spending way too much time and effort I’ve got the game playing fine—with the exception of an annoying problem at startup—the ball server solenoid ALWAYS fires once when the game is powered up. Otherwise the solenoid works as it should during game play. According to the owner, the machine, has ALWAYS behaved this way.

I’ve researched this issue online, but can’t seem to find anything definitive about the cause or the solution --everything from loose wires on the coin door to stuck switches. The Williams troubleshooting guide mentions this problem and offers four possible remedies: (1) coil TIP output transistor, (2) solenoid diode, (3) pre-drive transistor, (4) the QUAD AND chip (7408).

The TIP transistor is fine (new), the diode is fine,(new) and my assumption is that the drive transistor is fine (have not pulled it to check) because the solenoid works fine during game play. On the long shot that the 7408 has a single gate that has failed, I’ve ordered a new 7408IC.
tip102c (resized).pngtip102c (resized).png
Should the 7408 not solve the problem, can anyone offer some potential area(s) to look? I’ve done all the obvious things (re-seated chips, connectors, etc) but at this point I’m running out of ideas. Attached is a snip of the schematic. U57 is the gate, TIP122 is drive, SOL2 is the ball server. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I’m a klutz.

#2 6 years ago

Are you talking about the ball kick out to the shooter lane? Mine did this when I had too many balls installed. Should be 3 on Shuttle. Just throwing out the obvious answer first since I didn't see you mention it, you might have already checked for that.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks Futurepinhead for taking time to read the post and offer up an idea!

Yup, there are three balls in the game and all the ball switches seem to be working just fine. The problem ONLY occurs when the machine is first turned on. Between games and during games its works fine. I'm stumped! I need some of the smart guys in here to help me untangle this one. I'm sure the game didn't leave the Williams factory like this!

Thanks again for your post.

#4 6 years ago

I'd be tempted to take a look at that SR1 resistor package, SR1-3 or 1-5. I can't quite make it out in your drawing there. Those things seem to be responsible for lots of odd behaviors.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks Toyguy!!

Well the AND gate did nothing! So I've ordered the resistor packs. I'll pull the whole thing and replace SR1 and SR2.

My assumption is on powerup the SR1or SR2 is open and perhaps looking Low and thus causing the driver to trigger. I'll let you know in a few days--BTW, Marco stocks em. Thanks for contributing.

#6 6 years ago

Whoops-- I mean to say SR1 and SR3 Not SR2.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-system9-solenoid-fires-at-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.