Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'm hoping the Pinside regulars will jump aboard this topic and lend some help. I'm a noob to WMS System 3-7 games, and I'm regretting being brave enough to learn! I have a WMS Pharaoh that came to me and it didn't boot. GI only. No life on the MPU, no displays. The game has original boards and a Rottendog WDP3211A power supply.

Here's what I've done so far before I did the initial power on:
- New sockets for ROMs and other chips on MPU.
- 40-Pin interconnect re-done.
- Re-flowed all pins.
- TIP-42 to MOSFET/resistor upgrade.
- Added fuses to the backbox rectifiers.
- Barakandl's solenoid saver conversion.

I've got the thing to power on and give steady voltages. I'm currently at a "0" on the MPU and one bottom LED light solid, with no score displays.

I'll be reading through Clay's guide this evening, if I can source a copy, but any leads on where to start with this issue would be appreciated.

R

#2 5 years ago

http://www.flippers.info/system6repairpart4.asp

Sounds like you have a short in your driver board. Not many good ways to find it sadly. Probably one of the chips is bad, unless there's some bridged trace somewhere. Try just leaving it plugged in for a while and see if any parts get hot?

How are you 'connecting' the driver board? All connectors? Just interconnect?

Tried a test rom to confirm your MPU is fine?

#3 5 years ago

OK...so I've burned and installed the test ROM and followed the guide here: http://www.flippers.info/system6repairpart4.asp

I jumpered the board to handle a 2732 test rom as that's all I had on hand.

The LEDs and digit pulsed upon applying 5V.

I get pulsing signals from pins 2-17 of the PIA.

When I press the diagnostic button, I get flashes of numerals 1-2-3 in the display and then it returns to normal pulsing. I'm not quite clear on if that is supposed to happen? Maybe I'm misinterpreting but I think the numbers would stay locked on if there was an issue?

I added the driver board via 40pin interconnect, and the LED pulsing occurred.

I added ROMs one at a time, and the pulsing occurred.

Removed the test rom and added the remaining flipper rom and put it in the machine....I still get no action on the MPU.

Direction please?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

When I press the diagnostic button, I get flashes of numerals 1-2-3 in the display and then it returns to normal pulsing. I'm not quite clear on if that is supposed to happen? Maybe I'm misinterpreting but I think the numbers would stay locked on if there was an issue?

That sounds good

Quoted from spiroagnew:

I added the driver board via 40pin interconnect, and the LED pulsing occurred.

So on the bench, it works even with the driver connected? And your 5V stays high?

Does it boot on the bench with the regular roms and the driver attached?

If you put it in the game with only 1J2 and 2J8 plugged in, does it boot with the test rom or normal roms?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

So on the bench, it works even with the driver connected? And your 5V stays high?
Does it boot on the bench with the regular roms and the driver attached?
If you put it in the game with only 1J2 and 2J8 plugged in, does it boot with the test rom or normal roms?

Yes, it works with the driver connected at the bench.

On the bench with driver attached, I add one rom at a time. The digits blink with each Rom addition. When I replace the last rom in place of the test rom at U17, I get a solid "0" and LEDs at both the bench and in the game.

In the game, it boots with the test rom (flashing) with only 1J2 and 2J8 connected. I can't get it to boot with the game roms (solid "0").

#7 5 years ago

I do.

I probed the display PIA (as outlined in the above guide) and found it to be pulsing as it should.

#8 5 years ago

With the regular rom in and the driver board attached, I'd check all the address and data lines, etc that go across the interconnect, see if any of them are stuck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 52.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-system-7-pharaoh-boot-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.