By ccotenj

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

recently purchased a bad cats...

is there any easy way to eliminate the hum that i'm getting through the speakers? it's not a transformer hum, it gives every impression of being a ground loop hum (varies with volume, "sounds like" a common 60hz hum, etc.)...

i'm used to chasing ground loops (sadly) when multiple components are involved, but i'm not real sure where to start with a "self contained" one within a pin (i.e. where can i "break" the ground?)...

tia...

chris

#2 10 years ago

x 2 with a Grand Lizard.

#3 10 years ago

I've got this with my High Speed as well. I sort of like that it makes the machine sound like an evil robot in attract mode, but that can't be good for the machine.

#4 10 years ago

^^^

nah, assuming (never a safe thing) i'm correct, it can't "hurt" the machine in any way... it's simply a difference in ground potential somewhere... so no worries about it causing any problems with the machine, it's just a bit irritating until i mentally tune it out...

#5 10 years ago

Ensure all screws on all modules in the head are present and snug. Missing ground screw is most common cause.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Ensure all screws on all modules in the head are present and snug. Missing ground screw is most common cause.

thanks mate, i'll take a look and see...

#7 10 years ago

I had the same thing in my Grand Lizard. Wicked loud. It ended up being the routing of the cables in the back box. You can still hear it a bit during attract mode as all the lights wave through, but not the across the room noise that sounded like it was ready to fry everything.

Seriously, try it after you check all the ground connections. Have it on, and just reposition the cables in the back box listening for the changes. On mine, it all came down to moving one cable away from the speaker.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

just reposition the cables in the back box listening for the changes. On mine, it all came down to moving one cable away from the speaker.

If that solved any of my humming machines -- that would be just too easy. It reminds me of dealing with guitar cables, they don't like to cross AC adapter wires for example.
-mof

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

If that solved any of my humming machines -- that would be just too easy. It reminds me of dealing with guitar cables, they don't like to cross AC adapter wires for example.
-mof

I know. When it fixed that GL I was ticked it took so long to find.

#10 10 years ago

screws good... i'll mess with the cables tomorrow...

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It ended up being the routing of the cables in the back box.

Had this on my Pinbot. Moved them around and then it was fine. I noticed because the hum went away when I would open the light panel and then come back when I closed it.

#12 10 years ago

My F-14 had a maddening humm/buzz like you guys describe. I accidentally fixed mine when removing and reinstalling the sound board when I took it out to figure out what capacitors were on it. You can't even hear a little hum out of my machine now!

If the loosening and tightening all the screws on all the boards doesn't eliminate the humm, try unplugging and replugging 3J1 on the power supply or wiggling the wires going into it to see if that changes the humm. This is the large rectangular 12 pin Molex connector near the bottom of the power supply board that goes to the transformer. If wiggling the wires on this connector changes the humm, you can try soldering the wires in the plug to make the crimp connection more solid. (NOTE: I'm suggesting you solder the wires to the metal crimp on collectors in the plug, NOT the wires to the pins on the board). Specifically pin 9 and 12 which are the ground connections. You may need to replace the pins on the board and in the plug to make a more reliable connection.

#13 10 years ago

y'know, i KNEW it was a bad idea when i let my wife talk me into a ss machine....

all good suggestions, and i'll try them...

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Can you throw up a pic of this? Newbie doesn't quite grasp what you're referring to.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Can you throw up a pic of this? Newbie doesn't quite grasp what you're referring to.

It just means you need to put screws in that might be missing. Need a screw in every hole in every board in the backbox, and tighten them all down. A lot of times, a few screws are missing.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Rather sure he simply means, open the backbox and make sure each circuit board has a screw going into each hole around its border. Sometimes, a specific receptacle is required for it to screw into, and those little parts can be missing. In order to know, simply remove one screw and check to see what it is screwing into... If there's a small part, then you may want/need a few extras of those. You may have enough of them as it is. If you are short on screws, remove 1 and have your local hardware store match em. You want to make sure you get the thread count correct.

-mof

#17 10 years ago

This could be a couple things. You've checked the most common cause.

Here's something to try. "Float" the sound board off it's grounding screws in the back-box. You can do this using a piece of cardboard as a test. Don't put any screws in the sound board and power on the game to see if that reduces the hum (it should)...

That really is a "quick hack type fix" but it does work (long term) a lot of times. If you want to really get down to the cause, follow these steps in order--->

1. Ground screws in all boards and ground braid connected between haed+cabinet?
2. Bad speaker? You can disconnect them one at a time to confirm which one may be at fault. You can also check with a spare working PC speaker. Check for correct ohms resistance on each speaker type in your pin too. Also a great time to check that all the (+) are red wires and all the (-) are black wires on EVERY speaker in the game (so that they are not out of phase).
3. Bad potentiometer in the bottom cabinet? You can test this but I honestly replace them on my games given the chance. Your problem qualifies as a reason I would just go ahead and replace it!
4. Bad caps on main board OR sound board? Hard to test in circuit. Easiest to just replace 25+ year old caps all in one shot.
5. Bad amplifier on main board OR sound board? Most often these fail "open" but they can cause hum if it fails by shorting legs together. Easy enough to test. Not recommended to "shotgun" fix as it's the least likely cause of your problem.

#18 10 years ago

^^^

haven't played with it much today (had to rebuild the carb for my tiller, such fun), but...

#3 - bad pot... yea, the pot definitely needs to be replaced... adjusting volume causes "scratchy" sound... i've got a couple pots kicking around in my shed somewhere...

#2 - nope, hum is through all speakers, which is what led me to believe its a ground issue somewhere...

#1 - i'll recheck...

#4 - sadly, my soldering skills do not extend to the ability to solder stuff on boards...

i'll try floating the board and see what happens... then re-follow the troubleshooting steps you outlined...

thanks...

#19 10 years ago

Is it the right ohms speaker? I know some of the older machines took 6 ohms instead of I think 8 ohms. I'm not sure when they switched from 6 to 8 though. I know I've got a couple machines at my work that have 8 ohms in them instead of 6. They are from the early 80s. They are really touchy on the sound either really high or low the pot likes to jump around. Another thing is like yours they hum and it depends on the volume. Also don't replace the pot just spray it with contact cleaner.

#20 10 years ago

Hey Chris,

The fun begins!

FYI, I just took a look on Pinwiki, in the System 11 section. Here's what it says about speaker hum:

4.10.2 System 11 Sound Problems

"System 11 games are known to have some amount of hum present in the sound. To minimize this interference, make sure all boards are secured tightly with all screws installed. This will insure the boards have a proper ground.

Another cause of hum could be an inconsistent +5 volts from the power driver board. An indicator of this being the cause of your hum would be the game occasionally resetting as well. Replacing caps C8 and C10 on the power board may fix this issue."

Hope that's of some help. For what it's worth, I do remember a little hum, but not a crazy amount. You might want to try a different wall outlet, too, just to see if the issue travels from outlet to outlet.

Good luck!

Matthew

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Whitebuffalo:

Is it the right ohms speaker? I know some of the older machines took 6 ohms instead of I think 8 ohms. I'm not sure when they switched from 6 to 8 though. I know I've got a couple machines at my work that have 8 ohms in them instead of 6. They are from the early 80s. They are really touchy on the sound either really high or low the pot likes to jump around. Another thing is like yours they hum and it depends on the volume. Also don't replace the pot just spray it with contact cleaner.

they appear to be original, but incorrect speaker impedance wouldn't cause this type of issue...

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from mdolshan:

Hey Chris,
The fun begins!
FYI, I just took a look on Pinwiki, in the System 11 section. Here's what it says about speaker hum:
4.10.2 System 11 Sound Problems
"System 11 games are known to have some amount of hum present in the sound. To minimize this interference, make sure all boards are secured tightly with all screws installed. This will insure the boards have a proper ground.
Another cause of hum could be an inconsistent +5 volts from the power driver board. An indicator of this being the cause of your hum would be the game occasionally resetting as well. Replacing caps C8 and C10 on the power board may fix this issue."
Hope that's of some help. For what it's worth, I do remember a little hum, but not a crazy amount. You might want to try a different wall outlet, too, just to see if the issue travels from outlet to outlet.
Good luck!
Matthew

hey matthew...

it's really not that bad, it's more something i notice because i'm one of those a/v whackos... once in play, it's not noticeable, as i'm distracted by other things... a "normal" person probably would just skip by it... realistically, the transformer on my royal guard hums louder than this...

line should be clean, i've had a tube amp on it before, and if i was getting junk on it, it would have shown itself there... but i'll give it a shot... nothing else is on it (other than the other pins), it's a dedicated 20a line with only one outlet...

no resets after playing probably 100 games... we've used it a lot since i hauled it home from your place... swmbo LOVES it...

not the end of the world one way or the other... more of a "i gotta know" thing now... it doesn't make me any less happy with my purchase...

started cleaning it, etc. so much for me finishing the magic city anytime soon...

chris

#23 10 years ago

If all else fails (like it did on the Jokerz! which had a different Sys11 sound board with significant hum issues after addressing EVERYTHING else); you can do this:

1) Increase the resistance to each speaker
2) Increase the volume to compensate.

This will have the effect of raising the floor level of volume that the speaker will start to reproduce, thus bypassing any lower level hum sound present (so long as the source of the humm is POST amplification, not pre-amp; but it's almost always post). You just then need to turn it up to get past that level and hear anything.

So, in order to increase resistance, you can either replace the speakers with (better) ones with higher resistance , e.g. swap out the 4 or 8 ohm factory ones for 32 ohm after market; or you can just add an inline resistor to do the same.

I have done this to various arcade video games and 2 Sys11 pinballs. Instead of a fixed resistor, you can use a low ohm volume pot as well. This lets you then balance the volume of each speaker as compared to the master volume, giving bass, midrange or treble (if you have 3 speakers) to your preference.

The range of the resistor will need to be around 30 to 60 ohms; so a 200 ohm pot would be about the best you can find; a 100 ohm would be ideal if you can find on.

Remember, adding resistance to the speaker system is safe--you won't blow an amp; that only happens if you lower resistance below it's specs (typically below 4 ohms); basically creating a dead short in those cases. However, by adding resistance you will only lower the maximum volume it can produce and increase the base floor at which it starts making sound. Probably not an issue in home use. In any case, anything above about 140 ohms will reduce the max volume too much and way higher than I've ever seen needed.

Do all the other fixes first -- screw in every board, check wiring, check volume control; apply service bulletins; but if you still can't make it go away, the above will work at very low cost.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I've got this with my High Speed as well. I sort of like that it makes the machine sound like an evil robot in attract mode, but that can't be good for the machine.

I thought I "broke" my HS when I switched it over to LEDs. By reducing the power draw on the switched and GI circuits , I cut the background hum way down. Then, I added about 7 missing screws in the backbox to all the boards and suddenly NO sound was being made in attract mode. I kinda miss that wiping sound in response to the light show now; but don't miss the hum overpowering the engine noise while playing.

#25 10 years ago

yup, i'm well aware of the relationship between impedance (not resistance in the case of speakers, speakers are not a purely resistive load, with the exception of electrostats) and current... it would be interesting to see (purely from an academic standpoint) what the impedance curve of the speakers is... i suppose i could measure it, but i don't care that much... but yes, adding resistance before it hits the speaker will do what you are saying, and would be a workaround...

everyone skip the following if you don't care about speaker/audio theory...

the temptation to digress on this topic is strong, but i will resist digressing much, and will leave out the gory details... but keep in mind that a "nominal 6 ohm speaker" is simply that, nominal... the actual impedance curve will tell you more than the nominal rating... combine that with phase angles, and it will tell you whether a speaker is "friendly" or not... take that in conjunction with the efficiency of the speaker (how much spl for a given "power" input), and you can make a judgment on what your amplifier (really, the power supply of the amplifier, the "amplifier" itself really doesn't care) will drive... there are 8 ohm nominal speakers that are far harder to drive than 4 ohm nominal speakers (note: below 4 ohms isn't a dead short)...

also keep in mind that what many refer to as "bass", especially in a pin, is really "mid-bass"... and that bass (as well as lower mid-bass) is a function of your room... you can take the baddest ass subwoofer in the world (i have a relatively badass one in my room, a seaton submersive, that produces "flat" reference level bass to 16hz at my listening position, and usable bass below that) and stick it in a bad room/bad location and it doesn't matter how much power you feed it, you won't get "good bass"... as an example, in a 2000 cubic foot room, frequency reproduction below 120hz is a function of room modes... put a sub in a bad spot (or similarly, sit in a bad spot or have a bad room) and it won't matter how much air a sub is pushing, you won't hear anything... as a side note, this is one reason why putting a subwoofer in a pin is a bit of a fool's errand (the other being that a pin cabinet is nowhere near inert or sealed enough to properly "woof", let alone properly sized)... you may get a boom or two, but you won't get "good bass"...

also keep in mind that low frequencies are what really take a lot of "power" to produce... and you aren't gonna produce much of those low frequencies with a 8/10" driver, no matter how hard you try, it is physically impossible... even a 12" driver will struggle to produce "usable" bass... and because of the way we "hear" (see: fletcher/munson curves) you need to produce a BOATLOAD of bass in order for it to be usable...

also keep in mind that you rarely, if ever, will use more than 1 watt, with the exception of subwoofage...

ok, i digressed a bit more than planned (although as promised, i did leave out the gory details ).. the upshot is that a "nominal" rating doesn't tell you a whole lot, and that bass is trickier than it appears on the surface...

don't get me started on the concept of getting "stereo" and/or "good" sound out of a pair of speakers that are essentially co-located with a big huge reflective surface between them and you (not to mention other factors)...

#26 10 years ago

Why do you guys hate hummers so much? Just tighten up the MPU screws and make sure they are all there.

--Scott

#27 10 years ago

One thing that has not been really mentioned is potentially "loose" connectors; I "fixed" the hum on a System 11 one time just pulling a Sound Board connector on and off (game was off), and the hum magically went away. If it returned, I was just going to replace that connector.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Why do you guys hate hummers so much? Just tighten up the MPU screws and make sure they are all there.
--Scott

OP already did this. Stay out of the TECH forum unless you are willing to read all the posts.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

One thing that has not been really mentioned is potentially "loose" connectors; I "fixed" the hum on a System 11 one time just pulling a Sound Board connector on and off (game was off), and the hum magically went away. If it returned, I was just going to replace that connector.

Hum is not very often attributed to a connector issue. Very odd for this to happen. OP could detemrine this by simply wiggling connectors with the game on.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Hum is not very often attributed to a connector issue. Very odd for this to happen. OP could detemrine this by simply wiggling connectors with the game on.

I agree, it might not be common, but I have seen this and just trying to get a comprehensive list.

6 years later
#31 4 years ago

High speed with pinball pro speakers and Rottendog power supply. Horrible speaker hum that pulsated with G. I. Lighting .
Replaced Rottendog board with factory rebuilt board and hum completely went away.

3 weeks later
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

High speed with pinball pro speakers and Rottendog power supply. Horrible speaker hum that pulsated with G. I. Lighting .
Replaced Rottendog board with factory rebuilt board and hum completely went away.

interesting cause I just installed the rottendog board and it hums like crazy.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

interesting cause I just installed the rottendog board and it hums like crazy.

Yeah. I’ve been told it’s the Mosfets that likely cause the hum.go back to original board and hum should go away.

8 months later
#34 3 years ago

So I currently have this issue with a Space Shuttle with original boards (recently acquired) and a Sorcerer with a new Rottendog MPU and Kohout Power board. What should I do?

2 years later
#35 1 year ago

I was working on a Road King, and did everything to reduce the hum or buzz in the audio. Uppon replacing the displays with led (main board and 5 screens) all the sound issues when away, and certainly the screens looked fantastic and all works.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

I was working on a Road King, and did everything to reduce the hum or buzz in the audio. Uppon replacing the displays with led (main board and 5 screens) all the sound issues when away, and certainly the screens looked fantastic and all works.

The switching of the displays can absolutely get into the audio. I've actually seen the opposite, LED displays increased the noise. Whatever displays you installed might of had better filtering. I noticed just some extra C on the display driver 5v cleared out a lot of noise in my Dr Dude, even just putting it across the power supply plug where it comes in at.

2 months later
#37 11 months ago

Hey everyone….I picked up a road kings with HORRIBLE humming during attract/idle mode…there were screws missing in all the boards. I started with the main board, top right screw added. Nothing. Then second screw added on the bottom right. Voila! Humming completely disappeared.!!!

This may have been one of the simplest and easiest fixes ever! All board screws that were missing have been replaced.

Thank you all for this thread! Pinside saves the day again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-system-11-speaker-hum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.