Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sound_Supply_2 (resized).jpg
Sound_Supply (resized).jpg
20200405_223613 (resized).jpg
15861400537257598958845337424521 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Greetings fellow shut-ins.

I'm having a sound/speech problem with my Pharaoh. I know, I know, these are hard to diagnose. Here's what's happening, maybe someone has some troubleshooting ideas.

- Overall, the machine is not producing sound/speech. I can get intermittent sound/speech every once in a while, a few seconds and then cut back out to silence. Sometimes I can get sound/speech upon a cold boot, most of the times the intermittent sound occurs when the machine is "warmed up".

- THE SOUND TEST WORKS, either on cold boot or warmed up. Both volume controls, in the cabinet and on the board, control the volume of the test sound and speech.

- MPU/Driver recently rebuilt by ChrisHibler

-Sound board recapped by myself last year.

- Pins/connectors on sound board all replaced in an attempt to to fix this issue, no change.

Thanks in advance!

#2 4 years ago

Post a picture of your board.
Did you replace the IC-sockets?
Did you test without the speech board? Put in a jumper at the top of the board.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:WMS_Sys6-7_Sound_W1_Jumper.JPG
Did you read the Pinwiki site?
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Sound_.2F_Speech_Board_Issues

#3 4 years ago

I have not tried jumpering the board or replacing the sockets.

Does the fact that the sound/speech test works fine indicate that the problem would be somewhere other than the sound/speech PCB?

15861400537257598958845337424521 (resized).jpg15861400537257598958845337424521 (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

Voltages are all in check. Game is running a Rottendog repro power supply.

I noticed a small bit of electrolyte on the top of the capacitor indicated. Would this capacitor have something directly to do with the issue?

They were replaced last summer when the MPU and Driver boards were sent out for repair.

20200405_223613 (resized).jpg20200405_223613 (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

Start pressing down on chips when you know sounds should be coming out. Start with the ROM

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Does the fact that the sound/speech test works fine indicate that the problem would be somewhere other than the sound/speech PCB?

It's telling you the computer/audio part of the sound board is working. There is a loss of communication from the MPU board to the sound select circuitry of the sound board.
I don't usually venture into Williams support but get your logic probe out and probe the sound select signals at the MPU board connector 1J8 pins 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 and at the sound board connector 10J3 pins 3, 2, 5, 4, 7 respectively when triggering different game sounds. The sound select signals at connector 10J3 of the sound board go into a 4050 buffer chip at IC5. Using the schematics, check that the buffer chip outputs change state when the inputs do.

#7 4 years ago

The sound board works independend from the power supply.
It just needs 9AC with a central tap.
Here is the schematic for that part.

Sound_Supply (resized).jpgSound_Supply (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago

You can power the sound board with a computer power supply if you need to test it on a work bench.
You connect 12V, ground and -12V insted of the 9VAC.

In this case the capacitor being bad could be a problem.
It is for the -12V power supply and is used in the amplifier.
No -12V, no sound.

Sound_Supply_2 (resized).jpgSound_Supply_2 (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

You can test the sound triggers by grounding the pins at J3.
You don't have to worry about shorting something, there isn't anyting to short at J3.

By the way, is the connector at J1 still original?
I have a problem with my Blackout sound board.
I need to re-pin the J1 connector.
If wiggeling the J1 connector clears the sound, then you know what to do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
$ 52.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-sys-7-no-sound-speech-issue-pharaoh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.