IMG_1565 (resized).jpg
A1A77EE6-4CA1-46DA-A12D-CDBE4D2BD4EC (resized).jpeg
wms_system3-7_cabinet_wiring.jpg
coin door wires (resized).JPG
B65FF947-CC50-4DC9-B47B-E45B97D53AF1 (resized).jpeg
081113F3-ABEF-4FA0-A09F-528DDA969AFC (resized).jpeg
FFB79F8A-0C0E-4A7D-881D-C441CB2D3D4C (resized).jpeg
8A9D6B59-1A16-45A6-B477-A3FF6452B9CB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I really don't know how to find a short other than the kind that results from an exposed wire touching the wrong thing under the playfield.

That's pretty much the case. To narrow it down to specific parts of the playfield, you can isolate branches of the circuit by lifting wires and testing if the short is gone.

#114 1 year ago

Hi.
Thanks for noticing this thread.
Please tell me what you mean by "lifting" wires.
And can you tell me a more efficient way to "check" for a short without eating through fuses? I have a basic DMM.

I don't know if you're shorted to ground or shorted to the AC return so DMM advice is going to be limited. Also, reading shorts with a DMM is not easy because if you read through a bulb filament, it has low resistance and all in parallel, so therefore looks like a short on the DMM.

Do you have schematics?

I would look at the suspect fuse on the schematic and trace out where it goes... where it branches off to several places, this is where I would locate those wires on the machine and disconnect one. Then test for the short. If it's gone, then you know the short is somewhere in the circuit connected to the wire you disconnected. If the short is not gone, put the wire back and try the same procedure on another one. The idea is to isolate sections of the circuit so to be effective, you're going to need the schematics... otherwise, it's tediously going through the parts with your eyeballs looking for bare wires touching things, etc.

You can obtain a circuit breaker of the same size as the fuse, and put that in place of the fuse.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flexfuse-adapter-fuses#post-7461073

You can buy these Flex Fuse adapters and breakers, or you can get a breaker and solder it onto an old blown fuse. The breakers are available on Amazon too but you may be better off buying a set of various sizes from Troxel.

#146 1 year ago

It's counterintuitive, but fluxing and soldering it more may help. Once you have new solder flowed on, then try sucker-ing again.

Also, do you have any de-soldering wick? I find it works where a sucker doesn't. Again, adding some fresh flux and solder first can be helpful.

2 weeks later
#197 1 year ago

On the right kicker, the orange/red lead should first reach the switch lug shared with the cap, then jump to the second switch. The second switch jumps back to the first and meets the lug shared with the resistor and ground.

The schematic shows the ELECTRICAL circuit connections... not necessarily how the actual physical wire connections are made. In other words, when an electrical schematic shows three things connected together, it does not care what order, right, left, up, down, how far apart, or if they're daisy-chained vs. home-run, etc. It's simply showing that those three points are electrically common.

Does it matter which switch has the cap and resistor?

No. Because, both switches have them, technically...

whether the cap/resistor physically resides on one switch or the other, or someplace else, they are still electrically connected across (in parallel with) both switches.

#200 1 year ago

I guess I have to care about the order because I don't want to fry any part of these switches.

I think you missed my point... I advocate to learn the meaning behind the electrical drawing and then you'll be able to tell when a physical hookup follows the circuit.

Would you mind looking at the photos? Does this wiring, to your eye, match the diagram?

As far as I can tell from your photo, yes, it matches the diagram.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-sys-7-menu-button-wiring-diagram-needed?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.