2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

Hi everybody! I have a question for you.
On my Jungle Lord I have a strange issue that affects displays.
Strobes 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 (all displays) are brighter than the other ones. Not more, but the difference is evident.
I'm lucky ti have spare boards so the problem os located on the mpu. Where? I don't know.. changed the display PIA, the 4/16 decoder, measured with voltmeter the bus resistors and capacitors and values are all similar.. I'm stucked!
Thanks for any suggestion

#2 2 years ago

I'd probably put a scope on the outputs to measure duration of the pulse.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 2 years ago

Timing issue suggests capacitors.

#4 2 years ago

There's a lot of capacitors which ones? You mean on the BCD outputs or related to a specific part? The board has been already restored by the previous owner, more chip socketed and the reset section.
FYI, if I change the 4020 with another one, the issue is strong (maybe only a coincidence)

#5 2 years ago

Hmmm probably not all bad at once I'd think. Do you have a scope to check the timing?

It didn't do it with the other MPU board? Leaves out the next culprit in the display driver board.

The only other thing that's intrusive in that circuit is this part of the timer is connected to the C line, so maybe IC7 is allowing feedback back up to the 4-16 decoder?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 2 years ago

The only thing I saw with logic probe, is a little low signal on pin 2 of the timer 555. The IC is not the culprit (I bend the leg to check better).
Changed ic7 and also Q1 but nothing happens.
Other signal are pulsing like the working board.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Hi everybody! I have a question for you.
On my Jungle Lord I have a strange issue that affects displays.
Strobes 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 (all displays) are brighter than the other ones. Not more, but the difference is evident.
I'm lucky ti have spare boards so the problem os located on the mpu. Where? I don't know.. changed the display PIA, the 4/16 decoder, measured with voltmeter the bus resistors and capacitors and values are all similar.. I'm stucked!
Thanks for any suggestion

Check for a corrupt IC 36 PIA (display comma control) which shares several signals as Display PIA

#8 2 years ago

Sorry for the delay. After checking again all signals, the culprit was IC11.
Changed and display are good again!!! Strobantastic!!!
Thanks to everybody! My eyes thank you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
2,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-sys-7-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.