(Topic ID: 186485)

WMS SYS 6 CPU/MPU problem

By Theonlylilo

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170330_234855 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Hi everybody! I'm facing another sys 6 cpu with another trouble
    It was installed on a Time Warp, some acid around battery pack, completely blocked.
    So I started with the usual first steps: remove all the damaged components, clean the tracks and stopped the oxide with water/vinegar solution. Once replaced the ICs it's time to perform the test: with both test roms (Leon and Andre Boot) the board is ok, also the rams and roms are ok, but... once in the pin, the game is freeze: no controlled lights on the playfield, all the display shown zeroes, and I cannot use the diagnostic button on the coindoor.
    At the bench I noticed that with the multimeter setted to "check continuity" the pin 20-21-22 of IC19 has continuity when the battery are installed. Of course I've done all the test without battery, new 5101, check tracks... but the game still freezy as described above: no lights and display blocked with all zeroes.
    Some suggestions about where to check and act?
    Thanks as always!

IMG_20170330_234855 (resized).jpgIMG_20170330_234855 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

A few things to check which run into my mind:

1) Is the IRQ generator (4020) working and is there a heartbeat signal at the /IRQ pin at the 680x CPU? A common issue here: after removing the Original batteryholder the plated hole for GND is damaged and a few chips are not connected to GND anymore.

2) Is the selection for ROM's IC14 and IC20 working? A testrom only runs from IC17, there *might* be a chance the ROM's at IC14 and IC20 are not accessed properly.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for your prompt reply!
    I will check the IRQ signal. About the GND hole, I've faced some board with this trouble but the symphtoms are different, especially the LEDs behavior. Here, this board acts as if is completely good!. The LEDs remain lit after flashing without driver board, and gone off if putted in the game.
    The selection chip is carried by IC15 (74LS139). With green roms, if there is any problem, I think the CPU remain locked. Right?

#4 7 years ago

Sometimes....sometimes not. I've had a repair in the past where the CPU board tested fine with a testrom at IC17. But as soon as you installed something in socket IC14 the whole thing crashed as IC14 was permanently selected.

One of the reasons I intergrated a socket test in my own testroms (as well as a IRQ gen test).

Just to be sure: the driverboard is okay and cannot be the source of the problem?

#5 7 years ago

... the test is ok also with the 3 green roms installed so it means that nothing crash apparently... strange thing

Quoted from MarAlb:

One of the reasons I intergrated a socket test in my own testroms (as well as a IRQ gen test).

Could you explain me your test rom functions? I'm curious!

Quoted from MarAlb:

Just to be sure: the driverboard is okay and cannot be the source of the problem?

I've tried 3 different reconditioned drivers taken from my pinballs... same problem

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Could you explain me your test rom functions? I'm curious!

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the images and documentation

2 weeks later
    #7 6 years ago

Hi guys! Finally, in the poor time available, I've found the culprit...
    It was the IC 25 (4020). Once replaced the pinball started to work properly again. Of course, also the killed 5101...
    I want to thank Marco for its support and for his kindness in sharing with me his knowledge
    Thanks!!!
    Ciao

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-sys-6-cpumpu-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.