Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by danczaz
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF1383.JPG
    DSCF1379.JPG
    DSCF1381.JPG
    IMG_4850.JPG
    IMG_4856.JPG
    1.jpg
    IMG_4849.JPG
    IMG_4848.JPG
    IMG_4841.JPG
    IMG_4839.JPG
    IMG_4840.JPG
    IMG_4838.JPG
    IMG_4849.JPG
    IMG_4848.JPG
    IMG_4846.JPG
    IMG_4836.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

Reaching out in hope that someone on Pinside has experience with one of these, as I may have questions to ask as I go along.

I have been looking for one, in order to round out my collection of WMS testers, and recently tracked one down. This is usually a case of having to take what you can find - not a situation where you see a lot of them and can be choosy.

I picked this fixture up from Lloyd @ Coin Op Warehouse. Price was $465 + $45 shipping.
    Lloyd also sold me the 7 digit display (late Sys 6, all of Sys 7) add-on for another $100, but with no displays.

I also bought a nice original manual on eBay for $28 shipped, and a nice set of used displays out of a Sorcerer (compatible) for $157 shipped.

So, I'm in at about $800 at this point.

I already have a few Sys 3-7 boards in my stash, will have a complete working set for the fixture, not really sure what I have in them, because I've been hoarding boards for 10 years now

Things I lack at this point:
    Sys 3-6 displays. I have a 'borrowed' set from a friend to get me going, although I don't know that they work 100% yet.

Some pics of what I have to work with in this thread:

IMG_4835.JPGIMG_4835.JPGIMG_4836.JPGIMG_4836.JPGIMG_4837.JPGIMG_4837.JPGIMG_4846.JPGIMG_4846.JPGIMG_4848.JPGIMG_4848.JPGIMG_4849.JPGIMG_4849.JPG

#2 9 years ago

Now, to the questions part

Where should the speaker be in this unit? I don't see one anywhere.

Somebody added what appears to be a set of RCA jacks to the front panel. I traced the wires, but haven't figured out where they end. I'd like to add a speaker, which should be no big deal.

It appears someone added their own switch matrix tester. Turn one dial to the row #, turn the other to the col #, and press the button! BAM!

IMG_4838.JPGIMG_4838.JPGIMG_4839.JPGIMG_4839.JPGIMG_4840.JPGIMG_4840.JPG

I have one of these, and will just install it on the control panel, over the holes that were cut in it:

http://www.pinitech.com/products/64switch_tester.php

This momentary switch appears to be connected to the header that the coin door buttons connect to. Where should it be mounted?

IMG_4841.JPGIMG_4841.JPG

How was the additional display board mounted to the fixture? I've seen some hung off the sides before, but that makes little sense, considering the displays would be mounted the wrong way if I attached it to the side?

IMG_4849.JPGIMG_4849.JPGIMG_4848.JPGIMG_4848.JPG

#3 9 years ago

Good luck on your quest, I'm glad you were able to score one of those! (plus the one with the label overlays!

#4 9 years ago

Here is a picture I obtained somewhere.

On mine, which I cannot get to right now, it is mounted on the left side.

I like this version better because when mounted on the side it's like a poorly hung door. It keeps trying to close.

1.jpg1.jpg
    #5 9 years ago

Thanks Mario.

What's the story with the P2 display? I see a number of these with a different P2 display and a note on it about some power supply.

Mine has a different transformer setup it appears, too, where there's no cage over the xformer, and there's no indication that there was ever one.

#6 9 years ago

Well, it's a good sign....

Removed the extraneous switch matrix testing stuff, and cleaned the stainless front panel a bit

Replaced the cut off power cord end (I'll order a new, longer power cord - but I was impatient)

Unhooked all the outputs from the PS, fired it up and checked voltages. All voltages good.

I installed a master display and P1 display, plugged in a CPU and driver off the shelf I had set up for Flash, and fired it up...

And everything works!

IMG_4856.JPGIMG_4856.JPG

The test fixture ROM itself is pretty disappointing, it looks like all it does is scroll some digits on the display. Had hoped for a bit more, but I guess you can't have everything.

I do need to order a bunch of connector housings and pins to repin everything, find a sound board, install it with a speaker, etc. Probably will tear it apart and clean everything, and try to straighten a minor bend in the tray the CPU board goes in - it's tweaked just far enough that the pins in all 4 corners of the CPU board tray don't line up with the CPU board. The CPU that was in it actually looked like someone had stepped on it at one point.

Probably will get a cap kit for the PS, too, as the ones on there look a little tired.

#7 9 years ago

I have one, too. The player 2 display is for shuffle alley displays, which are wired backwards compared to pinball displays. The factory roms give you 10 tests, you just have to switch to manual when the displays are strobing backwards, then back to auto to step through the tests. I'm sure there's a manual somewhere online.

Enjoy your new toy! I use mine all the time.

Allan

#8 9 years ago

So I could switch it to a regular P2 display by simply rewiring P2? I'm not sure whether I'd rather have a shuffle display, which I'd likely have to track down, or just rewire it for a regular display. Doubt I'll be testing any shuffle displays!

I actually have a manual, but it doesn't talk much about operation of the unit!

IMG_4850.JPGIMG_4850.JPG

#9 9 years ago

I was going to rewire mine, but then a customer had a shuffle alley with some bad displays. I was able to test them, so I left it alone.

#10 9 years ago

John... I found a few more 6 digit displays... I need to test the 4 that I just got in that project lucky 7... I just pulled the driver board out my time warp at my dad's... When I go back to replace it I will bring along those displays and test them... If they all work I'll have maybe 4 for you... We will work something out... dan

#11 9 years ago

You look like you're going pretty well with it so far.
    The speaker mounts facing the bottom on the LHS
    Turn the tester on with it in the manual position then press advance , then flip it to auto and use advance to cycle through other tests.
    I have a working one of these so if you have any other questions feel free to message me

#12 9 years ago

Did you also get the analyzer board too? Don't know the actual name of the thing, but it checks the address and data lines on the cpu board.

I keep telling myself I want to repro the thing, but it hasnt been a priority.

#13 9 years ago

Are you talking about the board with the interconnect on one end that has a clamp that fits over the 6800?

If so, no, one wasn't included. I'd like one, based on what the manual has to say about it

#14 9 years ago

Got into the shed this morning so here is another couple of pictures of my fixture.

DSCF1381.JPGDSCF1381.JPG DSCF1379.JPGDSCF1379.JPG
    #15 9 years ago

Hans,

That was called the "CPU Test Board".

DSCF1383.JPGDSCF1383.JPG
    #16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

Hans,
    That was called the "CPU Test Board".

DSCF1383.JPG 313 KB

That actually wouldnt be insanely hard to recreate.

#17 9 years ago

I think it would be a nice project. This entire board can be replaced with an Arduino as well.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

I think it would be a nice project. This entire board can be replaced with an Arduino as well.

Was looking into either an Arduino, or CPLD or FPGA last time I tinkered with it. But my ability to manufacture is beyond my ability to design at that level. Now, if I had a workable schematic for a redesigned piece......

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

That actually wouldnt be insanely hard to recreate.

You could just take the parts off and scan it into vector.

There probably isn't $15 worth of parts on the thing.

#20 9 years ago

I have the original schematic for this one, (as so do others I am sure).

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

In that case, you could just put it into Eagle and output a Gerber file

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

In that case, you could just put it into Eagle and output a Gerber file

And find me a reliable source of 8T28's..... 4 per board.

-Hans

#23 9 years ago

http://www.questcomp.com/questdetails.aspx?pn=MC6889P&pnid=118368&pt=0

looks like only 900 left in the entire world @ ~1.50

If we are making new boards, probably better to change the design utilizing a different part, eh? lol

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

http://www.questcomp.com/questdetails.aspx?pn=MC6889P&pnid=118368&pt=0
    looks like only 900 left in the entire world @ ~1.50
    If we are making new boards, probably better to change the design utilizing a different part, eh? lol

Yup. I'd rather not scoop up the last few for a design I can probably work them out of. Leave them for people that really need the parts.

That and the existing design is a huge board for the number of parts on there. I'd like to make it compact and travel-friendly like the rest of my lineup.

-Hans

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinthetic:

The manual for this tester is honestly pretty darn good, and I'm almost certain the schematic for that board is in it!

#26 9 years ago

And find me a reliable source of 8T28's

Been a while since I worked on this system. Didn't we do away with those?

If you have the full manual the schematic is in it. I ran into so many manuals that did not have the schematics.

#27 9 years ago

On the system 3-6 cpu boards, yes, but the test board uses them differently than just a buffer. Acts a lot like a logic comparitor.

#28 9 years ago

I have one of these. It came with the unit. I clamped it on and it lights up, but does anyone know how to use it? Is it useful?

Allan

#29 9 years ago

On the system 3-6 cpu boards, yes, but the test board uses them differently than just a buffer. Acts a lot like a logic comparitor.

Funny, I didn't see it that way. They are controlled in pairs by the read/write switch. Two are on BE and two are on R/E, which they called it D/E. Looks like they are just controlling direction of data to the LED's. You could probably replace all four of these with two GALs.

#30 9 years ago

Found the speaker wires! Tied into another harness and just wound up. I will find a speaker and hook it up. Still need to install a sound board.

What's the big hole in the left side of the cabinet for? It's almost directly opposite of the cooling fan on the transformer. Doesn't look like it's ever had anything in it.

#31 9 years ago

Now that I have a few minutes I can shed some light on this test fixture from back in the day.

That test fixture was a hot topic at training. There were so many questions that needed to be answered and we overwhelmed the instructors. The biggest problem that I noticed when I was at school was we had so many EM technicians there trying to adjust to something they had little clue about, electronics. There was so much time wasted on explaining electronics. I went there expecting a lot of time on the test fixture and for several days all we got to do was look at them. It was disappointing but it was the way it was.

I can also tell you there was supposed to be issued another cable harness and they cancelled it when the System 9/11 fixture came out.

That hole was for passing cables through and future use. It was also to allow air to be pulled across the transformers in the bottom instead of through the boards on top. That is why they did not put a screen over it. Some technicians installed their own screen thinking it was omitted.

There is also a ROM board, 4 in 1 Board, that allowed the use of test PROMS/ROMs and a satellite program. (I can't find mine). Not everyone was issued one as later a single chip was just inserted into IC17 on the board in test and the 4 in 1 Board wasn't needed anymore.

Biggest problem with this fixture was it's size and weight. I ended up putting mine on a rolling table.

What failed the most on this?

Installing bad displays kept taking out the Master Display Driver Boards. Age takes it's toll on the push buttons. They started building resistance on the contacts. Rotary Selectors became flaky also.

Other than that it was a good unit.

#32 9 years ago

I read about the ROM board, but wasn't worried about that because I had the test ROMs and didn't figure I'd need it.

This is smaller than my WPC test rig, and my Sys11 test rig. I added a back board to my 9/11 rig, which I put a set of sys9 displays on, and a dual 16 digit a/n board so I can test pretty much every era of sys11 game. I know Jerry Clause has a DE PS and DMD on his rig, for testing DE CPUs. Good idea, if I ever get into any of those, perhaps I'll do that.

With all 4 of the WMS test fixtures, I'm beyond out of space. But I'm using them all enough that I can justify building an additional workbench. I've got a few issues with the bench I have now that I'd like to rectify on the 'next' workbench. My work space is relatively small, so I'm trying to optimize it as much as I can.

I'm not sure my rotary selector works. I think the circuit breaker in my fixture may also be bad. That's definitely something I'm going to dig into.

The cpu carrier was mangled, I fixed it last night. The Sys3 CPU that came with the fixture is heavily warped towards the center. The pins the board fit over also were bent inward in such a way that a regular CPU wouldn't fit over the posts. I carefully straightened the 4 corner tabs/posts so now a CPU loads and unloads effortlessly.

My connectors are all pretty needy in being rebuilt. I checked, don't have enough parts on hand to do them all, so I'm going to place an order. I've had to rebuild pretty much every connector on all my fixtures, save for the WPC-95 one which still has all the originals intact. Guess it hasn't been used as much!

Also need to fuse the bridge next to the transformer.

#33 9 years ago

I got two player displays that i can spare. Also have 1with bottom segment out. I can send them with boards.... Dan

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-sys-3-6-test-fixture-repairing-a-neglected-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.