• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bdPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams_System-6-7_Driver-Board_schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 6 years ago

So I've gotten past my MPU issues with my two Williams Games, the Lucky Seven and Flash. It's sort of nice to have two games to test these boards against. BOTH of my driver boards are a little messed up with locked on Solenoids. On Lucky seven, switch Q25/Sw6, controls the Ball Release on Lky 7, and the "Flash" lamps on the Flash.

On the Laser Ball board, I replaced Q23/Sw5, and Q25/Sw6 with Tip102s. When that didn't fix the locked on ball eject I also replaced the next transistor above it I believe Q22, but the issues still isn't resolved. For testing purposes I disconnected that outhole release solenoid and touch it when I'm trying to see if it's locked on - it always is. I think the Right Drop Target might have a problem with it so I thought I'd try to at least get the locked on outhole fixed before moving on to the target reset. It SEEMS that the problems must be with that driver board since I moved the driver board to the Flash, and both the Flash Lamp, and Saucer eject - Same Switches - are locked on.

I created a little matrix of both of the driver boards I'm working with, and the two games - the Lky 7 & the Flash. Is there a better way to approach this? I'm determined to make these boards work, and not just wuss out and get a r'dog board - Which probably wouldn't be very cost effective with an older game like this.

Laser Ball Old BK
Q# Sw# Flash Lucky Seven Board Knight
Q15 1 Ball Release Left Reel X
Q17 2 5 Bank 1-3 Center Reel
Q19 3 5 Bank 4-5 Right Reel
Q21 4 3 Bank Left D. Target
Q23 5 Saucer Eject Right D. Target X X
Q25 6 Flash Lamp Ball Release X
Q27 7 -- --
Q29 8 -- --
Q31 9 Sound 10 Point Chime
Q33 10 Sound 100 Point Chime
Q35 11 Sound 1K Point Chime
Q37 12 Sound 10K Point Chime
Q39 13 Sound Noise Drum
Q41 14 knocker Credit Knocker
Q43 15 -- Buzzer
Q45 16 Coin Lock Coin Lockout
Q4 17 Right Jet Left Jet
Q2 18 Left Jet Right Jet
Q6 19 Lower Jet Right Kicker
Q8 20 Right Kicker Left Kicker
Q10 21 Left Kicker --
Q12 22 -- --

#2 6 years ago

Each transistor has a predriver transistor. If you replace just the tip102 you're throwing money away. You need to replace both. The other is likely a 2n4401

#3 6 years ago

Did you repin all of the male & female connectors and the 40 pin interconnect?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

So I've gotten past my MPU issues with my two Williams Games, the Lucky Seven and Flash. It's sort of nice to have two games to test these boards against. BOTH of my driver boards are a little messed up with locked on Solenoids. On Lucky seven, switch Q25/Sw6, controls the Ball Release on Lky 7, and the "Flash" lamps on the Flash.
On the Laser Ball board, I replaced Q23/Sw5, and Q25/Sw6 with Tip102s. When that didn't fix the locked on ball eject I also replaced the next transistor above it I believe Q22, but the issues still isn't resolved. For testing purposes I disconnected that outhole release solenoid and touch it when I'm trying to see if it's locked on - it always is.

Replace the 7408 at U2 (which controls Q22-Q23)
Then we move on to the next problem.

Peter

Williams_System-6-7_Driver-Board_schematic.pdfWilliams_System-6-7_Driver-Board_schematic.pdf

#5 6 years ago

Yes, I re-pinned the 40 pins. both of them. I also replaced that 2n4401 - the next one up the line. Ugh. From the diagram I figured you guys were going to say something like the 7408. One of the few components I haven't stocked up on!

One machined pin socket, and a 7408, coming up!

-Brian

#6 6 years ago

Inserted a 7408 into the socket from a donor board, Lucky 7 is up and running.

What a dud this game is. Sorry Chris Otis. Anyway. I only gave $300 for it, so I can put it in my shop and maybe get close to $500 for it. Pay for my gas getting it and the floor space to have it laying around for a month. Plus, it's nice to be able to say, that I have one or two Sub-$1000 games.

Now onto Flash.

Thanks Ink.

-Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-sys-3-6-drv-brd-locked-solenoids-even-after-tip-replaced and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.