• Latest reply 10 years ago by ccotenj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wms12232-g_3.jpg
#1 10 years ago

before i order a replacement, figured i'd run this by you guys to see if i'm missing something... be gentle, i'm new to ss games...

have a bad cats... the 2nd line of the display is out, 1st line is all good... i have checked and re-seated all connections, etc., and they all appear to be good, no corrosion, all wires nice and snug in the connectors...

anything else i should check?

tia...

chris

#2 10 years ago

Of course you've reseated connectors, checked your power supply, etc... Maybe do a short check on the 6118s. Do they show up at all in diagnostic mode?

#3 10 years ago

thanks for replying... as noted, this is my first ss machine, and they are a complete mystery to me at this point, so i really appreciate the help...

yup, connections all appear to be good... pulled off all of them and gave everything a good tug, then re-seated them... i can re-check those easily enough though, it's possible that i missed something there...

i made the assumption (which i really should know better NOT to do ) that if my 1st line is "good" that the power supply was ok, i'll have to figure out how to further test that... one thing i did catch on to is that i want to be real careful around there to not seriously zap myself...

6118s? :confused: not sure what i'm looking for there... can you point me in the right direction?

when i ran the display diagnostic test, the 2nd line doesn't show up at all... 1st line is nice and strong, no missing/dim/flickering segments...

thanks again for chiming in...

#4 10 years ago

Unfortunately unless you have a scope and can verify your getting a signal at the display input pin there is not much you can do AND it very well could be a bad display although when the glass goes it all goes.

XPin and Rottendog both make good LED replacement assemblies, and you could even go a nice red display on Bad Cats,

#5 10 years ago

Start here:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Display_problems

I assume when you say the second line of the display is out you mean the entire bottom half looks like this all the time:

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=127&picno=32752

Honestly if you have nothing on the bottom display and the top display works correctly 100% (all segments/digits work in diagnostic test) then most likely it is a bad glass.

viperrwk

#6 10 years ago

Hey Chris,

Just wanted to make sure you were familiar with this:

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm#display

M

#7 10 years ago

If the first line is working, your power supply should be good. You have a few options: 1) learn to troubleshoot and repair this yourself; 2) send the board out to be repaired; 3) Replace it with an LED powered display board.

I can't really comment on 1, you will have to decide if this is up your alley but to perform repairs correctly and with quality on these boards requires some practice and skill and you will need some specialized tools.

Now the choice between 2 and 3 comes down to aesthetics. Chances are the display glass is bad in your display. It could be one of the driver chips but even having that replaced by a repair shop will cost close to 1/2 the cost of getting an LED replacement display board. If it is the display glass, your repair will cost much closer to the entire cost of the LED display board. This is why it comes down to aesthetics. If you want to keep the "retro" look, have your existing board repaired or monitor the pinside and ebay for someone selling a working board. If you want reliability, save yourself some time and get the LED display. The drawback of this is they really don't look 100% the same as the original displays. The "unlit" segments on the display is more noticeable than unlit segments on the original display. However, they should function forever. If you go this route, you can sell your 1/2 working board to someone that wishes to keep the retro look and recoup some of the cost of the LED display. The other benefit of LED is some manufacturers let you choose other colors for the display (red, green, blue in addition to stock orange) for an additional charge.

LED options I found in a quick search (there may be more):

Rottendog ~$150 http://www.rottendog.us/DIS240.html around
Pinscore ~$200 http://www.pinscore.com/products/pinball-displays/18-ps-12232-p16
X-Pin ~$200 http://xpinpinball.com/products/displays/XP-WMS12232

#8 10 years ago

Any burnt resistors?

#9 10 years ago

thanks to everyone who is chiming in...

@pat... yea, i'm thinking an xpin red display might look nice in there... unfortunately, i haven't had a scope for probably 25 years now... never thought i'd need one again...

@viper... yup, that's what it looks like... top line perfect, bottom line dead...

@matthew... ah cool, i knew there hadda be a "clay guide" to these things, i just couldn't find it...

@schwaggs... i could likely troubleshoot it (given the proper direction), but i likely could not actually perform the repairs if they required soldering... i can solder "big things" together, but my hands shake too much to do board work... thanks for the extended reply...

@blackbeard... i looked it over real good, and i don't see any visible damage... that doesn't mean that one couldn't be burned out, but i'm not seeing any physical evidence...

what i'm "hearing" here is "go ahead and order a new led display"... so i will do that today and i will report back when it arrives... if anyone wants the old one, pm me...

thanks again to all...

#10 10 years ago

IMHO, replacing the displays would be the smart move.

Then I would definitely make a FS post about the old displays. Two known bright working displays, plus the working board, are probably worth $50 to a fellow Pinsider. If making and posting a FS video sounds like a pain, feel free to link to my Bad Cats Youtube video in your FS post; a potential buyer will probably want to see the good displays in action.

M

#11 10 years ago

^^^

yea, methinks you are right... plus then i can disconnect the high voltage, since high voltage and i don't play well together...

cool, i've still got the link to the video...

#12 10 years ago

When you say "the display" what exactly do you mean? The entire display or just part of one of the displays?

If you could post a picture, it could save you some possible frustration here.

Please keep in mind that this may not be a display issue. I have seen resistor arrays, bad resistors, and even PIA that controls the displays all be bad on the MPU creating this exact problem.

#13 10 years ago

^^^

the entire 2nd line of the display (there is a single display board in this game)... see the following picture... the first line works fine... the 2nd line doesn't work at all...

wms12232-g_3.jpgwms12232-g_3.jpg

#14 10 years ago

For what it's worth.... Given the age of the display if it was an original,,, it did it's job.

My DE Playboy and my F-14 both use that same display,,, and both failed in the last year due to outgassing of the display, both by losing the entire 'line' as you call it, and now have Rottendogs.

As an aside, I was able to take the good glass from one and the good glass from the other and make one good original spare.

#15 10 years ago

^^^

well, dammit, the score reels on my other machines are much older and they still work...

seriously though, yea, when you consider it's 24 years old, and no doubt has been turned on for 10's of thousands of hours, it's actually impressive that they last as long as they do...

i'm not complaining... this thread was more for me to gain knowledge than anything else... as noted, ss machines are a total mystery to me, so i gotta start learning somewhere...

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

^^^
the entire 2nd line of the display (there is a single display board in this game)... see the following picture... the first line works fine... the 2nd line doesn't work at all...

wms12232-g_3.jpg 83 KB

ok, thank you for clarifying this. That likely means that the bottom display glass is bad. Those long type glass displays are expensive and tricky to replace if you never have done one...

If it's any consolation, you could take a pic of your half working one and probably get $75 for in on ebay to help pay for your new one.

#17 10 years ago

^^^

yea, after taking the board off and examining it, it doesn't look like it would be a bowl of cherries to replace that part...

i'm consoled... actually, since i bought the machine assuming i'd need to buy a replacement display, i don't feel bad...

#18 10 years ago

to close the circle...

one new "classic orange" xpin display installed, and all is well... kudos to "k's arcade" for very fast order processing and shipping...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 19.99
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-sys-11-2nd-line-of-display-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.