• Latest reply 6 years ago by DryDock
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I have a Williams EM Super Star machine that started keeping the 100's relay stuck energized resulting in the 100's score reel relay also being stuck on. I couldn't find any obvious play field switches stuck, any suggestions?

#2 6 years ago

Did you check all the rebound switches behind the rubber rings? That sounds like your problem. Best way is to remove the plastics so you can look down into the switch stack. Sometimes what happens is there is a short blade down inside that puts tension on the backside leaf. It can sometimes get bent forward resulting in a closed switch. If you don't remove the plastic it's hard to see that.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

I have a Williams EM Super Star machine that started keeping the 100's relay stuck energized resulting in the 100's score reel relay also being stuck on. I couldn't find any obvious play field switches stuck, any suggestions?

Does it do this immediately after reset, or do you have to score some?

#4 6 years ago

As soon as game is started.

#5 6 years ago

Here are a couple of things to try to narrow down on the cause of this problem -
Unplug the playfield and see if that relieves the problem
Put slips of paper between the contact points of all 12 switches that feed the 100 Point relay

#6 6 years ago

The problem is in the playfield somewhere, when I unplug one of the two large plugs to the playfield the relay releases...

#7 6 years ago

Here are all the switches that activate the 100 Point relay. Start by putting slips of paper in the 6 indicated switches and then test.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#8 6 years ago

This Site, or rather it's Members...ROCK!
Could not see it from above the Playfield but the upper right target that raises the right outlane post was shorted. By the way HowardR, instead of slips of paper, try using the appropriate size heat shrink tubing (unshrunk) to slip over (around) individual switches to insulate them. Works great!
Thanks!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

This Site, or rather it's Members...ROCK!
Could not see it from above the Playfield but the upper right target that raises the right outlane post was shorted. By the way HowardR, instead of slips of paper, try using the appropriate size heat shrink tubing (unshrunk) to slip over (around) individual switches to insulate them. Works great!
Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. Most people that need help here don't have heat shrink tubing, but nice to hear that you do and that you fixed your problem.

#10 6 years ago

That's true, but I have always hated how unprofessional electrical tape looks and as far as longevity it leaves much to be desired. Anyway even Menards in the Home Depot carry heat shrink tubing now for anyone that would like to try it. Well I'm going to mark this as problem solved and thanks again to you all!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

That's true, but I have always hated how unprofessional electrical tape looks and as far as longevity it leaves much to be desired. Anyway even Menards in the Home Depot carry heat shrink tubing now for anyone that would like to try it. Well I'm going to mark this as problem solved and thanks again to you all!

Not sure what "electrical tape" has to do with slips of paper but thanks for marking this problem solved.

1 week later
#12 6 years ago

The electrical tape was not meant to be compared with the slips of paper. The heat shrink tubing was meant to be compared to electrical tape and the tubi g can be used in place of the slips of paper in the leaf switches. Actually the heat shrink tubing does a far better job of insulating the switches than paper. As was explained earlier in this post.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from DryDock:

The electrical tape was not meant to be compared with the slips of paper. The heat shrink tubing was meant to be compared to electrical tape and the tubi g can be used in place of the slips of paper in the leaf switches. Actually the heat shrink tubing does a far better job of insulating the switches than paper.

I have always used large cut drinking straws. A lot cheaper and expendable than shrink tubing.

#14 6 years ago

That's why we have these forums, for the free exchange of ideas! I would have never thought of that! Oh well, I doubt my heat shrink tubing will go to waste.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-super-star-100s-relay-energized and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.