WMS Schematic reading

By BrandyMB

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

In reading the schematic I have for my Liberty Bell pin, I see some items labeled M.B. and identified as "make-break" can someone shed some light for me as to what these are?
Thanks,
Mark

#2 8 years ago

A 'make-break' switch is a set of three switch blades, where the middle switch alternates contact between the other two blades, "making" contact with one while "breaking" contact with the other.

#3 8 years ago

A make -or- break switch is commonly known as a single pole single pole.
A make-break switch is really a double pole single pole switch.

Then there's those odd switches that are 3 normally open contacts until activated. Then all 3 poles conduct together.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

A make -or- break switch is commonly known as a single pole single pole.
A make-break switch is really a double pole single pole switch.
Then there's those odd switches that are 3 normally open contacts until activated. Then all 3 poles conduct together.

Am I nuts?
I mean single (and double) pole single THROW.

#5 8 years ago

Yeah...all that pole throwing gets confusing...
it's easier to just do it, than think about it
I have heard of a make/break set that needed to MAKE both, then break the first one, anybody seen this in action?
By that I mean, n.c. stays closed until the n.o. makes also, THEN the n.c. opens...so, both switches are closed till the throw reaches the end.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

I have heard of a make/break set that needed to MAKE both, then break the first one, anybody seen this in action?
By that I mean, n.c. stays closed until the n.o. makes also, THEN the n.c. opens...so, both switches are closed till the throw reaches the end.

It depends on the game and what the switch does. Sometimes having all 3 conductors shorted in travel may blow a fuse or cause undesired operation.

I usually set the make-break so one side opens before the other side closes.

#7 8 years ago

Me too. makes the most sense. like you stated, depends on the machine, and what the original intention was.

#8 8 years ago

Hi BrandyMB, Dr_of_Style, SteveFury +
Sometimes I wonder about "Why is a "Coin Lockout Coil" not be called: a "Stop-CoinLockout-Coil" ?
Sometimes I wonder about " Why is a "M&B-Switch" not be called "B&M-Switch" ?

A M&B-Switch can be called a 1times2-Switch (the middle blade (1) does have 2 positions to have contact). I can buy (shops in Switzerland like "Radio-Shack (USA)"): 1times2, 2times2, 3times2, 4times2, 6times2, 4times3, 3times4, 2times6 (and multiples like 12times2, 8times3, 6times6). These more complex switches are to turn / step -> -> -> (clockwise) and to step back (counterclockwise).

Such switches I use when I want to alter a EM a bit.
The shop I buy such switches offers "cheap" switches - and "expensive switches". The difference is: The expensive switches are garanteed "Brake and afterwards Make" - The "cheap" switches might have a short period of time of "closed onto two sides".

Do You know an example (pin) that NEEDS the N.C-Part (of the switch) to open - AFTER the N.O.-Part has closed ? Is this visible in the schema ? Greetings Rolf

#9 8 years ago

Hi Rolf
The only time i have seen it, was on a bowler. And I quickly got over it.
No, the schematic did not reflect that. that's how I was fooled. It looked just like any other m&b.
I know what you mean by cheap switches closing both contacts briefly. that can be maddening if your not ready for it.

#10 8 years ago

Actually in the interim I figured it out. It relates to a DPST type switch. It was the language that threw me. Thanks for all the kind replies!
Mark

2 weeks later
#11 8 years ago

Wouldn't a make/break be a single pole double throw?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from dhutton:

Wouldn't a make/break be a single pole double throw?

Yes.

A "Make" switch a normally open single pole single throw.
A "Break" switch a normally closed single pole single throw.

Some machines use a different kind of switch with 3 normally open conductors. When activated, the 3 conductors all short together.

#13 8 years ago

Hi Mark +
pinwiki.com has a link to a nice article -> http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/ -> EM Games (Electromechanical) http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair (it-self it is very good) -> (Contents: 4.1.1 Schematics) -> http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Schematics and in the very first sentence the hint to -> http://tuukan.fliput.net/emkytkis_en.html -> "Our" Make-and-Brake-Switch is (there) called "Changeover-Switch".

SteveFury (post-12) "Switch with 3 normally open conductors" - "tuukan" names it "Two switches closing at same time": My "Williams Big Deal" has such a switch on the Replay-Unit: I push the Replay-Button -> the "Replay-step-down Coil" fires -> plunger -> mechanic -> the switch closes TEMPORARY -> "Replay-step-down Coil" stops firing -> this switch opens again. In the schema (ipdb) the switch is drawn at schema-E-3.

Dr_of_Style, that "Make -> Closed-to-both-sides -> Break" switch on that "Bowler pin" (Your post-9) - with some fantasy / imagination I can create a "way of use" of such a "type of switch": A "relay to fall" mounted in a "Relay-Bank" has such a switch. The middle blade has no wire soldered-on - the middle blade only temporarely makes contact "Left-(Middle)-Right" when beeing "falling". Greetings Rolf

1 month later
#14 8 years ago

Hi folks
I refer to the question "Make and Break Switch - the way it should work", post-5 to -9, -13.
We believe: "MBSw-normal*** - The middle contact/blade first "opens the connection-to-left-blade" - after a short period of time/travel (NO CONNECTIONS) the middle contact/blade THEN "closes to right-blade".
Dr_of_Style mentioned (post-9) "in a bowler seen once: In "Switch-movement" a short period of time/travel EVERYTHING (all 3 blades) have connection" - MBSw-strange*** .
I've found a nice example to that - my "Shangri-La" ...

Here - http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2110&picno=20169 : The "red bumper unlit" gives 1 point, it gives "10 points when lit". The red Rollover-Button above the red bumper always give 1 point.
The first time the ball rolls over the (red) Rollover-Button will light-up the red Bumper for the "rest of lifetime of the ball", the red bumper changes from 1 point to 10 points.

When the ball "strongly / heavily / long-time" rolls over the Rollover-Button: 1 point is given (and the bumper is lighted).
When the ball just (slightly, kind of grace shot) rolls over the Rollover-Button: The bumper is lighted - BUT the 1 point (for rolling over the Rollover-Button) IS NOT given ...

Williams made a funny solution - http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2110/Williams_1967_Shangri_La_Schematic_Diagram_paginated.pdf -> page-6, schema around (22 /) 23: The "Left R.O. Switch" closes, current flows to "Coil of No-1-Red-Relay", the relay pulls and acts the "Make and Brake Switch on No-1-Red-Relay" -> current can flow to "Coil of 1 Point Relay (schema around 23).

Conclusion: THIS "Make and Break Switch" should be adjusted MBSw-strange*** (rather than MBSw-normal). Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-schematic-reading and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.