New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 123789)

WMS Road Kings Problems

By troxel

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Breaking_Dad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN0044.JPG
DSCN0043.JPG
P1090853.JPG
P1090854.JPG
P1090847.JPG
P1090849.JPG
P1090848.JPG
untitled.JPG
Special solenoid 2 system11.JPG
Special solenoid system11.JPG
P1090628.JPG
P1090623.JPG
P1090624.JPG
P1090621.JPG
P1090622.JPG
P1090620.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

I am more of an arcade guy, but picked up a Road King the other day that is having a few problems. Just looked at it quickly and found the following problems.
1. Start a game, and 2 balls will shoot out. I imagine this is a switch adjustment in the trough?

Start by running a switch test (pg 27 in the manual.
Manual here: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1970

Quoted from troxel:

2. Right flipper (FL-17636) does not work at all. It's completely dead. This is different than the other one and took some photos of both. Any suggestions on where to start?

3h. When things don't work: Problems with Flippers
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html

Quoted from troxel:

3. Top and right pop bumper not working during game play, but will fire in test mode.
Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

Since it fires in test mode this is good, it shows the coil, firing circuitry are all good. Since they are not working in gameplay, this will usually be a switch problem
See"If a Bad Switch is Found.
If a switch does not work, check these things:" in section 3k. When things don't work: the Switch Matrix
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

Thanks for all the help so far. I had a chance to look at this a little bit more today and still had a few questions.
#1. The two trough switches should be closed when the balls are in the trough and open when not in the trough? If that's true, then they show up in the switch test as closed.

Do you mean they show up as closed when the balls are not in the trough? Remove the apron (cover) and check is switch individually for positive activation with a ball and make sure each goes off when ball is removed. I'm just not clear on the second part of your statement.

Quoted from troxel:

#2. Noticed that the coil only had one diode connecting the outside lugs. I installed 2 new diodes and went through the guide. Is there only one fuse for both flippers and that's on the flipper power supply board? If so, it checked good. I cleaned the EOS switch and the button switch. Tested for 50 volts and got 71 Vdc. Coil did fire when grounded to the middle lug. Tested ohms and got 4.1 on one side and 360 on the other. This seems out of spec from the guide, but not sure what it should be since it's a FL-17636. Any other suggestions?

Don't worry about the coil measurement at this point. You know it fires manually and you can't test it accurately in circuit anyways, so move on to troubleshooting why it doesn't fire with the cab switch.

OK, good - coil is getting power and you grounded it so it works. Now you need to find out where you are losing the other half of the circuit.

Flipper pwr supply(+)-----> Flipper coil ----->Flipper switch----->Flipper enable relay (CPU)----- Ground (-)
^you know this part is good.................^

Start by measuring for DCV at either contact of the flipper cabinet switch. On one side you should have your 71VDC. And...If you ground the 71VDC with a jumper here the coil should fire as well.

From there, you would need to check continuity back to the CPU and flipper enable relay. I just measure from the ground side of the flipper switch to ground when in game play mode. If this resistance is high, then you would measure continuity from the cabinet button back to the MPU connector 1J19 pins 1 or 2 (for left or right flipper). Problems with 1J19/1J20 connector and pins are common. If it is making it to the connector and all is well with that, then the flipper enable relay and its components can be suspect. But check all the preceding first before we get into that.

#7 5 years ago

IMO it sounds like your switch may need to be cleaned. If it is really pitted or a contact is missing it will need to be replaced. Do you have a flexstone file?...perhaps you can post a close picture of the switch.

#9 5 years ago

Yes it very well may beep, but a faulty contact like that won't conduct the high current required to operate the flipper. I think if you replace that switch that will solve the problem.

2 weeks later
#12 5 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

Finally had a chance to install the flipper switch and the flipper still doesn't work. I did noticed that if I pull the flipper up, it will stay up until I release the button. Any other thoughts or items to check?

hmmm. So the flipper stays up while holding the button? That indicates power is getting to the flipper hold coil and it is working, however not being able to move the flipper up without assistance points in the direction of the high power side of the coil as having a problem. Most of the time, this is EOS related, the coil itself, or wiring.

#14 5 years ago

That's correct sven...the earlier System 11s allow direct switch control. The section of the circuit below shows that the PIA (logic, test mode) can fire the circuit <OR> the playfield switch physically located at the special solenoid (pop or sling).

Your schematic on the bottom shows the output firing transistor section, which has been determined in this case to be functional, since the pop fires in test mode. The troubleshooting should be focused on the playfield switch or it's associated wiring, connectors etc... as the probable cause for the failure.

untitled.JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Machine - For Sale
Chester, VA
$ 22.50
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bokchito, OK
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 17.00
$ 109.99
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside