• Latest reply 4 years ago by rufessor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 3.20.37 PM (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

I replaced the roll over buttons on my #PitStop, but I haven't been able to adjust them well - either they sit flush and don't trigger or they're way high and really disrupt the direction of ball roll. Is there a method to get it adjusted just right?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 3.20.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-06-05 at 3.20.37 PM (resized).png
#2 5 years ago

You can adjust the wire forms, but it seems odd that they would need that. Did you compare with the old as you were doing them?

#3 5 years ago

Those are the type that are only adjusted by the switch blade tension...I think - from looking at this pic: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1806&picno=26402&zoom=1.

So you just need to keep adjusting both blades so that the "tabletop" of the button sits at the right height so that when it's rolled over it's contact hit the other contact. Sometimes both blades on either side of the switch need to be adjusted...

You also say you just replaced the buttons...did you re-use the original "snaps" to affix the buttons to the blade, or did you have to use other methods - like nylon or small metal screws to attach them? If the screws are too heavy, they can affect the operation...

Sean

#4 5 years ago

I've been going through a similar issue on an early 60's Williams game myself lately.

I'm going to guess that you installed new rollovers you got from Pinball Resource.

In my experience the length of the shaft of a repro is based on Gottlieb design and is a bit longer than the shaft on the original Williams part. Not by much but enough that you will need an adjustment. Follow Stoomer's response to adjust both leafs. The primary leaf gets adjusted to get the elevation you want on the top side of the playfield. The short leaf then gets adjusted to have the contacts within 1/16" or just a little less so they actuate easily.

If you got the PBR repros they come with the nylon screw to hold them in so weight will not come into play here. You do want to have the screw tight to end of the shaft so the hole in the leaf seats into the small neck at the end of the shaft. You won't get it 100% tight - there is supposed to be a small amount of slop in the fit there.

#5 5 years ago

MikeO has it right, these are the PBR replacements with the nylon screw (there were mismatching a pretty trashed set prior).

I did compare the old with the new, but the old was also poorly adjusted and sending the ball careening in any direction.

I'll follow Stoomer's guidance and adjust both leafs, I'll report back here after..

11 months later
#6 4 years ago

Resurrecting a slightly old thread. What is the typical height for a rollover button in relation to the top of the PF?

3 weeks later
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Resurrecting a slightly old thread. What is the typical height for a rollover button in relation to the top of the PF?

Just high enough to trigger when a ball rolls adjacent but in contact with it.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Just high enough to trigger when a ball rolls adjacent but in contact with it.

I think I have them adjusted - but boy, there's a fine line with respect to sticking up too much and false triggers!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I think I have them adjusted - but boy, there's a fine line with respect to sticking up too much and false triggers!

IIRC you can adjust the short blade to eliminate false triggers.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

IIRC you can adjust the short blade to eliminate false triggers.

Ah...without having the switches in front of me - I'm thinking long blade to set height, short for the actual switch. OK, that makes sense. Excellent advice.

2 weeks later
#11 4 years ago

I have to agree.... its a fine line between a big ole piece of plastic sticking up and redirecting the ball and a button so low it triggers from jostling the game a bit. Nothing to be done but really- I play test extensively and will stop a game to adjust a switch. If you do that enought you will end up as good as it can be- just do not expect the rollover buttons to be completely inert- if the ball is slow they will invariably change its trajectory. Just how it goes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-pit-stop-roll-over-buttons-adjustment-how-to?hl=arcadedanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.