Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PitStop-WornMotorNeedleSwitchLeafs (resized).JPG
PitStop-ScoreMotor-Switches (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_5371 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I've got most of Pit Stop running, have one issue. The targets that do Advance 5 (i.e. move the cars/lights on the race track forward to complete a lap) aren't doing it. It advances maybe 2-3 inconsistently, never the full 5 unless the targets are held down. I looked at the diagrams, all of these are tied to the 5-Advance-Relay; I manually triggered that relay, and it still causes the 2-3 advance. The player advance unit (under the play field, controlling the race track lights) has not been rebuilt yet, but nothing is sticking as far as I can tell.

It's a bit of a drag, as the it's really hard to score the laps with these targets not behaving correctly.

Any suggestions I could follow?

#2 6 years ago

There are other possibilities but really the most likely thing is that the Advance unit is malfunctioning mechanically. Does that advance work better or at least differently for the 2nd player?

#3 6 years ago

Hey HowardR, I ran a 2 player game and when triggering the ADV 5 targets both tracks (yellow and red lights) are behaving the same: irregular 1 to 4 advances (instead of the expected 5).

It'd be weird for both p1 and p2 advance units to be malfunctioning the same. Makes me think that something's wrong the the ADV 5 Relay - but I don't know what to check there... Suggestions?

#4 6 years ago

There are going to be switches on the score motor involved, I believe. I don't have my schematic in front of me right now, but with any multiple scoring or advance feature that is usually the case.

#5 6 years ago

Will it advance an entire lap when you hit one of those rollovers?

#6 6 years ago

It does advance a complete lap on the side drain rollovers and the top left extra ball shot (when they are lit).

#7 6 years ago

That should help narrow it down a bit and that means the steppers hanging under the playfield are working OK. Both the one lap and five advance probably share some circuits and or switches. One unique to the five advance is probably the problem.

#8 6 years ago

I'm trying to read the schematic on ipdb, but it's just giving me a headache and making me go blind. I have a paper copy at home but it may be a while before I can get to it.

I'd first look at the switch on the score motor that releases the 5 advance relay.

#9 6 years ago

I have the schematics I'll check once at home. I didn't realize the game motor triggered on these events, but you can hear it firing in this clip I took replicating the problem:

#10 6 years ago

I went over the diagram yesterday, but don't see any of the motor switches connecting to the 5 adv relay. Did I miss something?

IMG_5371 (resized).JPGIMG_5371 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

The 5-Advance relay runs the motor, not the other way around.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Yes, and it looks like it's switch B on the Impulse stack that does the actual stepping.

1 week later
#13 6 years ago

As suggested, I looked into how the Impulse stack switches work; I spent a little time filing the Impulse stack connectors some, but it didn't improve the situation. I made an interesting discovery. The cams can be slid sideways a millimeter or so, so the 'needle' edge of each stack switch is on the middle of the cams. When there, the 5 Advance works correctly. It seems that the switch needle is worn out/notched in the middle and not effectively doing full travel for the switch. After a few runs in the new position it returns to center, and starts misbehaving again.

How do folks fix this?

#14 6 years ago

I've uploaded a clip of the issue so you can see how I got it to work briefly by pushing the cam so the switch stack needles are contacting the cam the side rather than the middle.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

It seems that the switch needle is worn out/notched in the middle and not effectively doing full travel for the switch. After a few runs in the new position it returns to center, and starts misbehaving again.
How do folks fix this?

You replace that particular switch leaf with the needle. Although I have not come across this before, I can see how it would happen. I've got some spare used ones if you need one.

#16 6 years ago

I also (and this is a _distant_ memory) don't remember there being that much side-to-side play in the cam structure. Perhaps there's a spacer missing along the motor shaft that would keep the cams in their proper place.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

True, the 5-advance relay starts the motor, but it is up to a switch on the motor to release the 5-advance relay when the cycle is complete.

But I'm not sure who's post you were referring to when you said, "not the other way around".

It looks like that circuit is working fine as it is a different switch on the score motor that releases the relay than the one that pulses the lap stepper, the one that is giving him problems.

#18 6 years ago

Allright! Great news folks! I took off the switches from the motor, and found I could swap them around. I took the '4 games for 25 cents' leaf needle (I imagine I won't use that in free play) and swapped it to the impulse stack. It was misbehaving a bit but eventually settled in when the cam lined up. Now it triggers the 5 advance as expected.

I read nylon on nylon doesn't really wear itself out. My guess is that they lubed the cams some, and then dust got in there and finely sanded it down over time. I cleaned off the old grease off the cam as part of this work.

You can see the worn part in the attached pics. I'll test more over the next few days and call it resolved.

PitStop-ScoreMotor-Switches (resized).JPGPitStop-ScoreMotor-Switches (resized).JPG

PitStop-WornMotorNeedleSwitchLeafs (resized).JPGPitStop-WornMotorNeedleSwitchLeafs (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

I took off the switches from the motor, and found I could swap them around. I took the '4 games for 25 cents' leaf needle (I imagine I won't use that in free play) and swapped it to the impulse stack.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-pit-stop-advance-5-target-doesnt?hl=arcadedanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.