(Topic ID: 172179)

WMS Phoenix SYS 4 eeprom issue

By Theonlylilo

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Good morning to all! I'm fixing a WMS Phoenix CPU and I have a trouble with roms... so I need a clarification and your help
The original set (of course) is made of 4 masked proms&roms that I would like to replace with 2716 eproms.
I downloaded eprom images from Planetary Pinball and with my surprise I found that these are white labels for a System 4, when usually for a Sys 4 they have to be yellow... but I burnt them with my Willem GX-4Q programmer.
The CPU is 100% functioning, also tested with yellow label eprom of my Stellar Wars... but with the white eproms freshly made, it has problems on power up. Strange behavior both in test and once placed in the game.
For your information, I burn 3 times the eprom... always the same problem
Any suggestion???
Thanks in advance!!!

Ciao

#2 7 years ago

did you change the sockets?

why change the roms? do the original roms work?

#3 7 years ago

Yes, I changed the sockets... I said the cpu works good with yellow labeled 2716 of my Stellar Wars, but with these ones of Phoenix not...
So my thought is a problem with white images in a sys 4 board, or a corrupt file (hard but could be), or a mistake during the writing with the programmer...
I didn't try the original proms in order to not solder other sockets to the board. And a 2716 is more reliable than masked rom.

#4 7 years ago

You will need install an IC socket for IC14. It is usually empty.

Then flipper ROMs go in IC20(1), IC17(2). The game rom goes into IC14. All 2716 EPROMS. Image files should be 2kb.

Stellar wars uses yellow flipper roms. Phoenix uses white flipper ROMs. They are not cross compatible.

#5 7 years ago

So, is what I did. Without mixing the romset!
But the SAME board, with Stellar Wars roms boots in a correct way in audit mode or attract mode (with batteries or the trick on the cabinet switch)...
With the roms or putting the original proms, the SAME functioning board boots in a strange way: the number in the credit display rise up in sequence, as if it's showing me the audits. But I repeat... the board is the same and it works 100%!
Is there something that I'm missing?!?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

So, is what I did. Without mixing the romset!
But the SAME board, with Stellar Wars roms boots in a correct way in audit mode or attract mode (with batteries or the trick on the cabinet switch)...
With the roms or putting the original proms, the SAME functioning board boots in a strange way: the number in the credit display rise up in sequence, as if it's showing me the audits. But I repeat... the board is the same and it works 100%!
Is there something that I'm missing?!?

When i boot white flipper ROMs in a system 6 game, i think the audits scroll because of the differences between how the coin door switch is wired (top left of mpu, the two 4 pin plugs).

#7 7 years ago

Thanks Barakandl! It seems like you described to me... the audits scroll, but however I can do properly the nightmare programming!
Another question if is possible...
What about the master display? I've a flickering in the strobe No. 8 when the number 1 is shown.
When the other numbers are displayed, the strobe works fine... have you any suggestion to solve this?
Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-phoenix-sys-4-eeprom-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.