Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

My Indy is giving me an error at the boot of the game about a supposed Single Drop (stand-up target in front of captive ball) switch / coil error.

Mechanically the assembly seems perfect. In solenoid tests coil 3 ("Totem Drop Up" - this is what resets the stand-up target) and coil 16 ("Totem Drop Down" - this is what triggers the target automatically) fire perfectly every time. The target registers correctly in edge switch tests every time. I will mention, in case this might matter, that the opto for the captive ball (behind the drop target) is normally open in the ball's resting position This should also be correct..

Everything seems perfect in tests. However, in game the stand-up target never resets. Literally the only way to get the target to stand up is to do it by hand or by using the solenoid tests and firing the "Totem Drop Up" coil.

Once the target is dropped, every time thereafter during the start of a ball or booting the game, the "Totem Drop Down" coils seem to fire three times in rapid succession (even though the target is already down, and besides, the game is supposed to bring UP the drop target at that point, not the other way around..)

There have been some threads about the error message such as this, but in this case the issue was the error report only, the game seemed to play correctly otherwise:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-wms-error-single-drpbadswichcoil

Given the above thread's conclusions, I will mention that my game is a reimport and has only a single Coin Door Interlock switch (the smaller two-lead one) and is missing the second, bigger switch. This was apparently standard for games built for export.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 4 years ago

When a coil fires 3 or 4 times it is telling you that an opto is out.
Your post is a long read you mention standup target and drop target they are not same.If the standup traget is registering properly in switch Edge test then no problem there.Now if the drop target is not popping back up as it should take a look under the play field in that area and might just need a very good cleaning because gunk builds up after years of play.Also clean the coil for the drop target

9 months later
#3 3 years ago

Digging up thread
I'm having exactly the same issue you experienced.
Did you manage to fix it?

#4 3 years ago

Not sure if this is your problem, but on my game, I found a broken wire on the front target down switch only after close inspection. At a casual glance, I never would have seen it

3 months later
#5 3 years ago

my turn to dig up this thread: i'm having the same issue with that target not functionning.
I gave it as close an inspection as I could and found no broken wires nor any suspect mechs. everything "seems" fine.
Only difference is my coil will NOT fire in test mode. nothing happens unless I manually do it from above/under the playfield.

could a coil just fail like that?

thanks for your inputs folks.

9 months later
#6 2 years ago

I have found is there is no issue typically just activating the the red target in the back of the cabinet / captive ball will let the system know that it’s actually working if it’s not triggered after so many games the system thinks it’s not working and sends an an error/credit dot so the games operator can check it to make sure that it is working correctly typically not hitting the ball hard enough to activate that switch will cause this. just pushing it by hand will tells the system it’s OK and I’ll clear the credit dot! I hope this helps this has cleared a lot of credit dots in all my machines just activating switches that aren’t typically hit or are difficult to hit during regular gameplay can clear up a lot of credit dot issues. Games in private collections don’t get used like they do in arcades and typically switches aren’t hit for quite some time.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Breeze:

Games in private collections don’t get used like they do in arcades and typically switches aren’t hit for quite some time.

Switch error isn't thrown up from time though, it's 90 balls or something like that (30 game equivalent). Usually happens to me on STTNG after a party because no one can hit the borg lock.

There should have been an option in the menus to make it longer or turn it off entirely though. Some games (rollergames) it's annoying because often the top JET lanes don't get hit regardless of what kind of player you are.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

12,500 (OBO)
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,419.00
Wanted
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-indiana-jones-single-drop-bad-switch-coil-error?hl=legui and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.