• 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TrainH2o
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So - Indiana Jones

Love it. But it's got issues.

It throws out random eternal life balls in the middle of play.

It gives me a quest like find the stones but then when the timer counts to 0 it goes dead and drains the ball like I tilted the machine.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I read that the random eternal life is because of the optos and trough. Not sure if that is the issue here.

#2 9 years ago

Today it gave me a 2 ball multi ball and was counting down on Super Jackpot. One ball drained and the machine acted like there was only one ball in play. Flippers dead, second ball drains.... aaaaargh. Lol

Not sure why it does that.

#3 9 years ago

I would put the game in switch test mode and verify all the switches - especially the optos - are registering correctly.

A bad or dirty opto switch could cause this behavior.

#4 9 years ago

Start with the trough first. If the game thinks the ball count is off...it tosses a ball.
faz

#5 9 years ago

Thanks.

I found that Trough 6 Opto wasn't working. It's the LED not the sensor. I will fix it and see if that solves the eternal life issue.

#6 9 years ago

Almost always a ball trough error. Well known issue with IJ, STTNG, (the wide bodies) etc. I spent several years re soldering resistors on the transmitter board until I bought the upgraded board set with the transmitter board that has resistor chips instead of the 2watt resistors that constantly break due to vibration. Best $60 I ever spent on a pin. Put those on over a year ago and have never had another issue.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

Almost always a ball trough error. Well known issue with IJ, STTNG, (the wide bodies) etc. I spent several years re soldering resistors on the transmitter board until I bought the upgraded board set with the transmitter board that has resistor chips instead of the 2watt resistors that constantly break due to vibration. Best $60 I ever spent on a pin. Put those on over a year ago and have never had another issue.

I've done the same. No more issues. Ed

#8 9 years ago

Yeah - I'm going to buy those from Great Lakes Modular. That should fix the ball trough issues.

I have issue with the idol optos. In Idol Test I get - Idol Lock Not Working Properly.

So I can see that Optos 92 and 93 are working. Opto 91 there is no change. I can jumper Opto 91 and nothing. When I jumper Opto 92 then I jumper Opto 91 and 91 works then.

Is that how they work?

#9 9 years ago

I bought the new trough boards from GLM. When installed I think they will solve the multiple ball issues.
I also bought an opto board for the idol. Hopefully that fixes the issue with #91.

Has anyone ever had their machine just stop after not completing a quest like find the stones? Kinda weird.

#10 9 years ago

If not the trough I would do as you mention here and dig into the idol locks or subway optos.
All of them can get the game confused on how many balls and where they are located.
If it is the subway you would likely get a lot of "you cheat doctor jones" randomly as it would see the switch hit intermittently and at times the drop targets are in up position.
Check trough for divots and insure all optos working. Also see if you have the old style trough board or the newer style with gromets. The gromets really help with vibration issues.

GLM makes some good boards.

I have not experienced the find the stones ball end issue that you describe. Does it happen everytime or just random and happend to be at the end of a mode? If everytime when the timer reaches zero I have never seen this.
If intermittent it is likely opto or trough swtich.

#11 9 years ago

I replaced the trough opto boards and it fixed the machine throwing two balls into play on startup and randomly.

Once those boards were in I ran a test on the idol and it is now working. Would trough opto boards affect it? I wouldn't think so..... but am not sure.

Played a few games and I still think the machine is having issues. Will have to look further.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

#12 9 years ago

Tonight it had one ball in the idol and one ball sitting in the entrance waiting to go into the idol and one ball underneath trying to get shot up into the entrance. Machine was freaking out.

Only way to stop it was to shut off machine and restart. Idol test came back ok.

I also sometimes get "This is how we say goodbye in Germany" end call out, but I still have a ball in play.

Anyone?

#13 9 years ago

I looked on youtube but couldn't find the answer so - When I get the POA shot, the ball goes around to the pin and stops. When the pin drops the ball doesn't go into the POA playfield it goes around the outside and drops in front of the left flipper.
1.) How do I adjust the ramp to drop the ball (the playfield is set at 7 degrees tilt)
2.) The POA playfield still moves even when the ball is not on it. Is this normal? Or should it just level itself out and stop working (like it does when the ball falls into the pit)

#14 9 years ago

Here is where I would start troubleshooting and asking myself the following:

For the idol lock, you should test all of your optos in switch test to see if they are all responding appropriately. When is the last time they were cleaned? Has this problem happened only once or multiple times? If multiple, can I manually reproduce the problem to show itself? You might have some bleed over light from the main light board tricking the optos into some weird behavior.

For the "Germany" switch, start simple and make sure the left outlane switch is gapped correctly and the wires are close to touching anything, then start asking yourself the same questions. Is it triggered at random, or when "x,y,z" happens.. That will help narrow down your search.

For the POA (more like POS, amirite?), First check that your playfield is level left to right. Check up top by the rollover lanes and check at the bottom by the flippers.

Check that the ball is resting against the stop-pin and the front wall of the bridge. The mechanism works by stopping the ball, letting it 'lean' forward, and just fall into the path. Too much (or any) forward momentum and it will go right past the opening.

Check that the pin can drop freely, without any resistance.

The two metal tabs leading into the POA need to be angled just right to let the ball in. This is more of an art than a science. I'll stress here that only TINY adjustments are necessary. Tiny.

How long does the path move? Indefinitely? Until you hit another target on the playfield? I would think it would still move until you hit something else, because you haven't hit any switches on the path yet. For all the game knows, your ball is sitting up there between the first two switches just hanging out.

Start slow, one problem at a time, and keep telling yourself, "fixing them is half the fun!" Eventually you'll believe it.

Good luck.

1 month later
#15 9 years ago

POA is now working - I adjusted the metal bracket to allow the ball to drop easily. It works 100% now.

Replaced the trough opto boards & trough led boards and have no more double ball issues - Great Lakes Modular .

Went through the optos on the idol and they are all working 100% now. Had to replace 2 of them. Idol is now solid.

The only issues left are the switches. When I press the:

Left Return Switch (16) it also switches the Top Post Switch (46) (Top Post Switch 46 activated by itself doesn't activate anything but itself).

Right Outlane Top Switch (18) also switches Right Slingshot Kick (48) and Shooter Switch (88)

I believe that's what's giving me the weird call outs and other issues.

Soooooo.....
Anyone know how to fix the switch issues.

I can't find any wires that are shorted out.

#16 9 years ago

Those switches are all on the same rows. 6 and 8. Check to see that none of the switches are bent around the lugs. Sounds like a switch on each row was bent below the playfield and is shorting out.

I'd check switch 16 and 18 to make sure there isn't a short below the playfield and that the diodes look good.

#17 9 years ago

I don't have a manual in front of me, but.........

If any of the POA switches are on the same row as any of the switches you mentioned, check them too, especially look for smashed diodes. Mine had all sorts of random switches activating, because a diode from the POA was smashed onto the switch. They take a pretty good beating from the ball hitting the START MODE saucer.

#18 9 years ago

Diodes broken off switches also can confuse the switch matrix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 1,419.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 85.00
$ 29.00
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
14,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-indiana-jones-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.