• Latest reply 8 years ago by Nepi23
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Idoli.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I have a WMS IJ. When I hit the ball in the center hole it does not get "popped up" into the idol like it is supposed to. The ball seems to get stopped in the subway and will only get ejected into the idol when the game goes into missing ball mode. I have checked all the switch optos in the subway and they are all working. I removed the subway and examined it. No obvious mechanical issues.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone have any idea what to check next?

#2 9 years ago

So have you ran a switch test, and dropped the ball in there to see if it registers the switch? Remember to run the test in as much of a game situation as possible.

I would clean them all for sure to start with as long as you're down there.

#3 9 years ago

Had this Exact problem. Opto switch. Game does not know ball is there

#4 9 years ago

Yup. We know the up kicker is working, sounds like the switch is just not registering. These optos are 22 years old and the transmitters B/W used don't tend to hold up well after this amount of time.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. When I run the switch test it registers the ball. In other words, I put the game in test mode dropped a ball in the subway and as it rolled down the subway both optos registered the ball passing through the switch. Would you suggest just replacing them anyway? I do have some new ones on hand.

#6 9 years ago

I wouldn't replace something that works. Just me. Confused. So it works in test but not in game ? Take glass off simulate gameplay. Been a while but I thought there are two sets of Optos in subway. Simulate what happens with ball. It's either opto or coil .

#7 9 years ago

I did simulate what happens in a game by rolling a ball down the subway in switch test mode. Both switches registered the ball passing through. however, the ball apparently just sits at the pin that blocks the ball in the subway. When the game goes into missing ball mode, it will then allow the ball to pass to the upkicker and eject it into the idol. So, from what I can tell, both the optos and the coil work, just not at the correct time. Don't know what I should try next.

#8 9 years ago

Im going by memory here. Getting my IJ back in a week or so. In switch test with the coin door switch pulled out so coils fire. can you make the ball roll and fire ball up? If so then we need to see why the gameplay is diff. Can you open coin door and see ball actually go through optos and is sitting correctly in the vuk? Not sure why a coil can fire n test mode but not during game play. I usually try and visually watch the ball and see why its not working.

#9 9 years ago

I have the exact problem and I am keeping my eyes open on this thread. For some reason with me the first three balls go just fine to the idol, but after that the problems start similarly to what has been described by swenny.

#10 9 years ago

Go into the idol test and empty it, then see if any of the idol lock optos are showing as closed. Maybe one is out and tricking the machine into thinking there is a ball in there?

Quoted from Nepi23:

I have the exact problem and I am keeping my eyes open on this thread. For some reason with me the first three balls go just fine to the idol, but after that the problems start similarly to what has been described by swenny.

The third ball should start multiball, if it isn't, there is something wrong with your idol optos.

#11 9 years ago

I had to fix a basket case IJ a while back and there was one more opto then I expected that was the one that had failed. The idle is a hornets nest of wires and optos. If any of those optos fail it will cause a problem for whichever ball is in that cavity that spins.

#12 9 years ago

I had this problem, the 2 optos were reversed, installed wrong. took me a along time to figure out. Check the wire colours.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

I had this problem, the 2 optos were reversed, installed wrong. took me a along time to figure out. Check the wire colours.

Hey that's a good idea...could be confusing the machine. Easy if the connectors are the same .

#14 9 years ago

I would suspect that if I changed something....Did the problem just start? Game new to you?

#15 9 years ago

I will try testing it and watching tonight after work. However, since the ball is in the subway, I don't know how I could watch it as it passes through the optos. I haven't switched out or messed w/ the optos in any way since the problem started so I don't think wires would be an issue.

Just to clarify, the coil that operates the pin works and will fire during the game, it just doesn't do it when the ball is sitting at the pin in the subway, rather it waits for the missing ball mode before activating and releasing the ball to go to the VUK. At least that's what I suspect as once the ball is shot into the center hole it doesn't get kicked up to the idol right away. It sits in the subway until the missing ball mode is activated.

#16 9 years ago

I've had the game for about a year. Problem just started last week.

#17 9 years ago

dumb question. You have the correct number of balls in? crazy things happen with extra or missing ball.

#18 9 years ago

also check in manual and make sure all switches checked and work from entrance to vuk.

#19 9 years ago

really check all of the idol position switches, not just the subway optos. Any failure in the idol position switch could be fooling the software into not popping that ball up into it.

look at pages 1-18 and 1-19 in the manual. There are 5 switches for idol positioning.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

really check all of the idol position switches, not just the subway optos. Any failure in the idol position switch could be fooling the software into not popping that ball up into it.
look at pages 1-18 and 1-19 in the manual. There are 5 switches for idol positioning.

yep...you need access to idle and trip all those switches....somehow all related.

#21 9 years ago

to be clear, there are 3 position switches inside the idol, all optos.

There is an idol entrance opto.

And there is a microswitch with a rollover wire arm at the exit.

A bad switch in any of these positions could cause general havoc with the software.

My bet, though is on one of the 4 optos.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Im going by memory here. Getting my IJ back in a week or so.

Where did he go? Mine's away, too. Very depressing...

#23 9 years ago

Thanks for the help guys. Yes, # of balls is correct. Not a dumb Q as sometimes the obvious is the solution.
I will double check all of the optos tonight and see if that is the problem. It's quite possible I missed one earlier.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Go into the idol test and empty it, then see if any of the idol lock optos are showing as closed. Maybe one is out and tricking the machine into thinking there is a ball in there?

The third ball should start multiball, if it isn't, there is something wrong with your idol optos.

That's a good tip! Yes, the third ball starts multiball just fine. It is just that balls after that seem to go to idol only after the ball-search.

1 week later
#25 8 years ago

problem solved. Opto switch 44 (the VUK) was bad. Replaced it and now it works fine.

#26 8 years ago

Glad your figured it out and got it going again .. NT

#27 8 years ago

Did you replace both sides. Or just the offending one. Always wondered if they should be swapped in pairs

1 week later
#28 8 years ago

I did the switch test and all the switches seem to work just fine. Well, the slam tilt switch did not work, but I guess it is not related to the problems with subway/idol. I also did check the idol optos only via the idol test as I did not know how to access those optos.

While under the playfield, I resoldered some wires to the coils at the subway. Let's see if the resoldering helps.

I have been discussing this with a friend and would like to check with you. When multiball starts, do you have a pause after the second ball has been released to the playfield? So, the third ball comes to the playfield only after ca. 20 seconds or so? That is the case with my pin.

Thanks for any info!

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I did the switch test and all the switches seem to work just fine. Well, the slam tilt switch did not work, but I guess it is not related to the problems with subway/idol. I also did check the idol optos only via the idol test as I did not know how to access those optos.
While under the playfield, I resoldered some wires to the coils at the subway. Let's see if the resoldering helps.
I have been discussing this with a friend and would like to check with you. When multiball starts, do you have a pause after the second ball has been released to the playfield? So, the third ball comes to the playfield only after ca. 20 seconds or so? That is the case with my pin.
Thanks for any info!

There should be a pause after each release but not that long. The whole multiball start thing is written in such a way that any kind of variance will screw up the ball count completely. I just had this problem on mine and it turned out the up/down post that is the idol exit (it has that yellow plastic square on it) was binding just enough to throw off the timing on everything and messing it all up. That post along with making sure the idol exit switch works 100 percent of the time are the keys to multiball start working correctly. It should release ball one, idol exit post should be back up immediately after the ball passes through, then it rotates to ball 2, opens gate, closes gate immediately and rotates to ball three to release that.

You know something is screwed up if you are not getting ball 3 to come out right away and the game keeps making the elephant sound.

I hope all of that made sense.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

There should be a pause after each release but not that long. The whole multiball start thing is written in such a way that any kind of variance will screw up the ball count completely. I just had this problem on mine and it turned out the up/down post that is the idol exit (it has that yellow plastic square on it) was binding just enough to throw off the timing on everything and messing it all up. That post along with making sure the idol exit switch works 100 percent of the time are the keys to multiball start working correctly. It should release ball one, idol exit post should be back up immediately after the ball passes through, then it rotates to ball 2, opens gate, closes gate immediately and rotates to ball three to release that.
You know something is screwed up if you are not getting ball 3 to come out right away and the game keeps making the elephant sound.
I hope all of that made sense.

Thanks! There are quite many elephant sounds between the 2nd and 3rd ball always with my pin... It is ca. 20 seconds from the 2nd ball to the 3rd ball. On the other hand 2nd ball launches to the playfield promptly after the 1st ball. This happens every time. What in earth might be the matter here? As said, I made the switch test today and they seem fine. Idol optos were tested only with the pin's own test.

#31 8 years ago

Sounds like the same issue I had. That up/down post that released the balls back to the playfiled from the idol is binding up just enough to throw off the timing of everything which makes ball 2 release too fast and the game doesn't realize it was already released. You may have to bend that mech a little bit to make it raise and lower smoother and also my need to replace the coil sleeve in that mech and check the link when you have it open and file off any metal burrs or sharp parts that may have happened from wear on that link from years of use.

#32 8 years ago

Actually I have had problems with the idol door. I have brushed the post, there was wear. I will investigate that further.

I was thinking that could the problem however be that the optos in my idol are in wrong order? I tested the numbering of the optos and took a picture. The optos as such work ok. Could somebody confirm the correct order for the optos? I have numbered them in my picture on how they are setup with my IJ.

Idoli.jpgIdoli.jpg
#33 8 years ago

Had a look at the wiring in the manual and I think I got it right. Now the 3-ball multiball starts very rapidly. My gate goes down and lets ball one and two out, gate goes up and down and releases also ball number three. Apparently the gate should go up also between balls one and two, but my pin does not do that. I tested switch 44 (the vuk opto) and it seemed to work ok. However, the fourth ball is not kicked into the idol, so perhaps its worth a try to replace the opto 44 with my pin as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 1,419.00
12,500 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-ij-subway-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.