Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

The stock planes on IJ is way too big IMO and it simply looks like piece of shit. So I searched the web for a mod and only one I found was a spinning propller mod while keeping the same fugly biplane for around $100 and no mod for fighterplane. Why not just make one myself?
So I purchased these 1/72 scale model kits from amazon.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p633/v4vendetta/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-05%20at%204.17.25%20AM_zpsorz6bl7e.png
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p633/v4vendetta/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-01%20at%206.16.44%20PM_zps8hxec4yf.png
The stock planes are about 1/48 scale. Here is a picture for size reference.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p633/v4vendetta/IMG_0765_zpsivcq5cpw.jpg
https://vimeo.com/154301171

So I airbrushed the planes and put a motor in it and realized that first airball from Indy would probably destroy the planes.
This time I bought same planes but in diecast model. So first, I finished the fighter plane mod to see if it will hold up to the rigors of everyday pinball abuse. And it passed with flying colors. So here it is in action and let me know what you guys think. Now I'm off to finish the biplane!!!
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p633/v4vendetta/IMG_0750_zpsamn7gvzp.jpg
https://vimeo.com/153834349

#2 3 years ago

I like it! Nice job.

#3 3 years ago

Looks great. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else do this. Maybe you will start a new trend.

#4 3 years ago

Damn that is really cool! I have only owned my IJ for a few months, and I love the sound effects of the planes on the loops, and the guns, etc... so this Mod really enhances the game, in my opinion. Well Done!

Can you please post a pic of the biplane?

Also, see your Path of Adventure ramp makes me realize how messed up that ramp is on mine!

#5 3 years ago

Great job!

Do you plan on selling these? If so, I'd be interested.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. It's truly rewarding hearing the complements from real pinheads. Diecast sure is a pain in the ass to work with. The biplane is technically finished but my minor ocd won't let me put in on until I finish painting and adding Indy and his dad with a gun to the biplane.
As for selling, it consumes alot of hours to make one(being little anal retentive about getting everything perfect,aforementioned minor OCD) so I'm not sure if I can mass produce these considering my work hours so only time I really have to work on these are on my days off. I guess if there are enough interests, I could see what I can do.

#7 3 years ago

I'd be interested. Let me know if you plan on selling them. The fighter plane is awesome. Can't wait to see the biplane.

#8 3 years ago

Nice job! Die cast certainly is no picnic. I'm trying the plane mod for TZ, it's not easy to make...hats off to those guys that can do it well.

#9 3 years ago

Really nice work. The original IJ planes looks like crap, so this is a big improvement. How hard was it to get the motor inside the plane?

#10 3 years ago

Very nice

#11 3 years ago

What motor did you use?

#12 3 years ago

Instead of attempting to sell these (big PITA for you) why not just put together a complete "How To"?

#13 3 years ago

I used two different motors for each plane. For the fighter plane, I used miniature drone motor I had lying around and for the biplane, the workable space was way more restricted so only motor that I could find that would fit in was a 3g micro servo motor.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from ecmurrayf1:

Looks great. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else do this. Maybe you will start a new trend.

Just FYI the propeller mod DIY cost about $5 Also you need to lower the voltage so the motor RPM's slow down.

Just do a search online for 7mm x 16mm Magnetic Micro Coreless Motors. It is a DC 3.7V and you just drop the voltage down a bit to slow it down. The entire DIY motor for this mod should cost you about $5.50 so that douche bag on ebay selling this mod for $100 can eat it.

*again this is about the motor mod not the alternate plane

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

What motor did you use?

I have seen the motors cheaper than this, just google it. ebay.com link » Dc 3 7v 7mm X 16mm Magnetic Micro Coreless Motor Propeller 48000rpm

VERY simple mod, pull the plastic disk on your plane. Hot glue the motor inside the plan and then just attach it to the connector that powers the flashers for the ramp so the motor will power at the same time. I cant remember which transistor I used, but you just want to drop the voltage so you can see the blades move rather than a powerful 48k RPM. In the end,.. You got a great mod for around $5.

If you search pinside you will find that pinsiders have been doing this DIY mod for a few years now. DO NOT pay $100 for a $3-5 mod.

#16 3 years ago

I just searched for IJ mod on ebay and that's what I got. I felt the same way you do about the price of the mod but didn't want to come out say anything negative and just put it on blast just in case it might've been a pinsider making those mod and selling it. That's why I said I decide to make my own. Yes it is a simple mod if you want to just keep the stock plane but the reason why I wanted to do a mod in the first place was to get rid of the stock plane. The link you provided looks very similar to the one I used for the fighter plane but there was no way I could fit that in the space allowed for the bi plane.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Really nice work. The original IJ planes looks like crap, so this is a big improvement. How hard was it to get the motor inside the plane?

It was just alot of dremel grinding, dry fitting, repeat till I can get it to fit and afterwards what I found was the motor shaft always came up too short so I had to solder on a longer shaft to the existing one to get it to poke out the front hole on the plane.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I have seen the motors cheaper than this, just google it. ebay.com link ยป Dc 3 7v 7mm X 16mm Magnetic Micro Coreless Motor Propeller 48000rpm
VERY simple mod, pull the plastic disk on your plane. Hot glue the motor inside the plan and then just attach it to the connector that powers the flashers for the ramp so the motor will power at the same time. I cant remember which transistor I used, but you just want to drop the voltage so you can see the blades move rather than a powerful 48k RPM. In the end,.. You got a great mod for around $5.
If you search pinside you will find that pinsiders have been doing this DIY mod for a few years now. DO NOT pay $100 for a $3-5 mod.

I can't remember, but I didn't think the arrows in front of the ramps were flashers, maybe they are. Do you have to attach it to a flasher or can you use an insert, like the hurry up behind center targets, which is active when dogfight starts? That's a 6v socket and would drop the voltage from 12v On a flasher. Also, you might want to tell people how you connected it down below with pics...most people aren't going to know how to do that.

Not defending the guy charging $100 (is he supplying the plane too? Sounds like he's not). and it does seem pretty simple but if he made it plug and play, that's worth a lot to many people who can't solder and/or don't know how to tap into power/ground.

How is the transistor wired in and which to use, people aren't going to understand that either?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Altoona, PA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside