(Topic ID: 251494)

WMS Gulfstream - strange ball count behavior - no game over

By ArcadeDanger

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Gulfstream is doing a strange thing. Lets me reset the game, ups ball count to 5 (or 3 after I changed it) and put the ball into the shoot lane. Play the ball, and when it drains, it drops the ball count light from 5->2 (or 3->1); on next drain, the ball count light goes off completely, but ejects the ball into play. If you drain this No-Light ball, the ball is not ejected, but the game isn't over (Game Over doesn't light) - if you trip targets on play field it'll score.

This game does add-a-ball if you hit certain targets, I was able to up the ball count to 7, draining from there proceeded correctly 7->6->5, then 3 then 1 then no light, no game over.

I've manual and copy of schematic; unfortunately it seems like many labels on the relays/discs are missing so I'm having trouble finding my way. The ball count disc is not in the backboard?

#2 4 years ago

Have a look at the Ball Count Unit and make sure things are lined up correctly, etc.

#3 4 years ago

If the labels are missing from the relays, you can use the schematic to identify the relays by their wire colors. Example: If you were looking for the double bonus relay, you would look at the schematic to see that the double bonus relay coil has a red wire and a green/white wire connected to its coil lugs. More clues would be to look for double bonus relay switches on the schematic to see what wire colors were related to those switches...

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

If the labels are missing from the relays, you can use the schematic to identify the relays by their wire colors.

Schematic also shows the number of switches on each relay.

#5 4 years ago

Ok, I figured out the ball count disc is indeed in the backboard. It seems like it had been worked on once upon a time; the clockwork gear would skip towards the end; I noticed the wound spring was a bit loose, I turned it a couple more times and that seems to have improved the ball count down behavior and setting game over correctly.

As a side note, unplug the game while doing this. The spring leg touched one of the relay leads and shorted, popping the 15AMP fuse. Dummy me. I've got friends who call me Captain Zzzt-Pop for a reason...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-gulfstream-strange-ball-count-behavior-no-game-over and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.