WMS-GulfStream-Green (resized).jpg
WMS-Gulfstream-Assistant (resized).jpg
WMS-Gulfstream-OrangeLayer (resized).jpg
WMS-Gulfstream-CenterTargetRepaintWhite (resized).jpg
Gulfstream-Girl-Peeling (resized).jpg
Gulfstream-CenterGrid-Peeling (resized).jpg
Gulfstream-PlayfieldWorn (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi folks, I got this Gulfstream some months ago, had other plans for it but no time. I decided to set it up and see what condition it was in. Turns out to be in pretty good mechanical shape - had to replace the kick-out-hole shield on left, tighten up the flippers, and replace a few bulbs, but it seems like the game is mechanically all ok.

The play field is worn a bit: down to wood in the center and the kick-out points; there's some lines (planking?) on the right side of the play field, key lines and inserts are worn.

I'd like to do a light fix to make it presentable, specially the parts worn to the wood. What'd be the easiest approach?

Available to me are some small tubes of acrylic paints available, a small spray paint compressor setup too.

Thanks!

Gulfstream-PlayfieldWorn (resized).jpgGulfstream-PlayfieldWorn (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

For playfield touch ups, the hardest part is matching the sheen (gloss, semi-gloss, egg shell, flat, etc) of the paint. Some people will use the acrylic craft paints that dry flat and then apply a clear over the touched up area. I've had good results using gloss enamel paints like Testors model paints. These paints seem to match the sheen of the playfield paint very closely. You'll need to experiment with different types of paint to see which one will work best. I'll use a large paint mixing stick to create a swatch to test the paint mixture first, and to see how the touch up paint compares to the original playfield paint. There's a lot of info on playfield touch ups and restoring playfield paint on the Web. Check out Vid's Guide on playfield restorations:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#3 4 years ago

fredsmythson Thanks for the link and suggestions. I decided to try to airbrush the area that was worn down to the wood. I prepped it with melamine foam (magic eraser) and alcohol. Used frisket to mask off a smaller area. Mixing the color did not go well, that is definitely an art I'll have to tune - I'll try again with another coat.

I did run into a complication, the frisket pulled up the old clear coat, so now my beach ball players look like they're sunburn peeling (beach joke, haha). Unfortunately peeled up some other areas too.

Is there some clever way to pull up the clear in a controlled manner, or is this a slog of peeling part by part and laying down a new clear?

Gulfstream-Girl-Peeling (resized).jpgGulfstream-Girl-Peeling (resized).jpgGulfstream-CenterGrid-Peeling (resized).jpgGulfstream-CenterGrid-Peeling (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4 4 years ago

I'm trying this as an approach, don't know if it'll work but we will see. For the peeling clear, I'm going through and scoring the black lines as the edge with a blade to peel the clear coat to. This seems to at least give me consistency on the colors for when I spray new clear.

In the mean time, I'm trying to cover up the spots that are worn to the wood. Frisket seems to work great. First sanded the edges of the cracked parts to smooth it, then put on a couple coats of white, then the orange on top. Not perfect, but better than it was.

WMS-Gulfstream-CenterTargetRepaintWhite (resized).jpgWMS-Gulfstream-CenterTargetRepaintWhite (resized).jpgWMS-Gulfstream-OrangeLayer (resized).jpgWMS-Gulfstream-OrangeLayer (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

So why does this Williams game have Bally lane guides on it?? That's sacrilege!

#6 4 years ago

It almost looks like it was coated with something. Did you *CLEAN* the pf first before doing any work on it?

#7 4 years ago

As Wmsfan-GAP mentioned, that peeling "clear coat" on the playfield looks very suspicious. It looks like someone used a generic spray can of clear over the playfield. First step is to remove all of the weird clear coat before you start doing the paint touch ups...

#8 4 years ago

For similar games, I use gloss acrylics in the small plastic bottles, not tubes. Mix in small plastic closable container. Use stir stick ( like coffee stir sticks ) to mix and to put a drop on a piece of clear flat packaging. Then dry and lay that on the play field to check color match. Repeat as needed till color right.

Then when have color good, mix in water till really thin. That allows for applying by brush or air brush in thin layers. Then when very dry, wax w good carnauba.

Doesn’t always come out perfect. But good if you are not doing the full blown paint / clear coat process.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Lol talk about terrible attention to detail on my part... I didn't even notice! This explains why the rubbers were not right! The manual diagram shows different rubbers for it.

I did clean the play field with alcohol and magic eraser, nothing peeled then. It was when I lifted the frisket did it pull that peel up. I've since been scraping that off.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Then when have color good, mix in water till really thin. That allows for applying by brush or air brush in thin layers. Then when very dry, wax w good carnauba.
Doesn’t always come out perfect. But good if you are not doing the full blown paint / clear coat process.

This is the first time I'm trying this so its a good educational experience, I figure it was pretty trashed to the wood and I can't botch it too badly. Not sure how to mix up the off-white sections that got worn out by the kickouts, maybe a hint of brown & black?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

This is the first time I'm trying this so its a good educational experience, I figure it was pretty trashed to the wood and I can't botch it too badly. Not sure how to mix up the off-white sections that got worn out by the kickouts, maybe a hint of brown & black?

I’ve had challenges w off white too. A very little brown, sometimes a hint of yellow too.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I can answer this for you. On Gulfstream, those lane guides have a tendency to crack easily. During play and while you try to put them on and take them off. They are also very hard to find replacements unless you get them from another Tropic/Gulfstream. The size between the holes is not the norm.

#13 4 years ago

Short update of the work we did over the weekend (the kids were excited to help out!) - laid down a spray of green for the appropriate sections via air brush. Did some touchup on other areas that were down to the wood. The black bled under the masking in a few places, so I have a lot of not-so-crisp lines - not sure how to fix that. I skipped the whole trying to level the inserts stage, and honestly I probably should have tried that harder.

Plan to use water-slide decals to print the missing words for the center target "SPOTS SELECTED NUMBER" and some other details (the yellow-orange S that's missing from the kickout hole).

WMS-GulfStream-Green (resized).jpgWMS-GulfStream-Green (resized).jpgWMS-Gulfstream-Assistant (resized).jpgWMS-Gulfstream-Assistant (resized).jpgWMS-Gulfstream-GreenSpray (resized).jpgWMS-Gulfstream-GreenSpray (resized).jpgWMS-Gulfstream-BlackSprayover (resized).jpgWMS-Gulfstream-BlackSprayover (resized).jpg
6 months later
#14 4 years ago

Hey folks, I finally wrapped this up. I had touched up some remaining areas as best as I could match, the createx paints are very good for mixing; for example, the white with a drop of flourescent orange made a perfect match for the cream white areas that had been worn to the wood.

I sanded lightly with melamine foam (aka magic eraser); I then did a few coats of clear to lock it all down; this made a huge difference. You can definitely tell where things were patched up on close inspection, like the areas that were worn down to the wood.

Waxed, reassembled, and calling it playable.

I definitely have more appreciation for folks that strip everything down to restore pins. If I were to do this again (properly) I'd probably take ALL the parts off the playfield, patch and sand the wood, find a way to even out the inserts, use a thicker clear to flatten things out more.

Thanks!

GulfstreamRestoredPlayfield (resized).jpgGulfstreamRestoredPlayfield (resized).jpg
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

I can answer this for you. On Gulfstream, those lane guides have a tendency to crack easily. During play and while you try to put them on and take them off. They are also very hard to find replacements unless you get them from another Tropic/Gulfstream. The size between the holes is not the norm.

PBR has the proper size white for Gulfstream, I've ordered several sets for several games including mine - measure hole to hole ... but you'll need to saw one side of the guide off to allow the rubber ring on the outer side facing the playfield to do its thing.

#16 4 years ago

I'd use post studs/t nuts in replacement of the post screws that house the center plastics. Those posts get slammed constantly by the ball, and studs will hold up so much better. I've had them in my game for years now after farting around with loose screws and battered playfield wood.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-gulfstream-playfield-fix-suggestions?hl=fredsmythson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.