Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by ArcadeDanger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Gulfstream-Girl-Peeling (resized).jpg
Gulfstream-CenterGrid-Peeling (resized).jpg
Gulfstream-PlayfieldWorn (resized).jpg

#1 6 days ago

Hi folks, I got this Gulfstream some months ago, had other plans for it but no time. I decided to set it up and see what condition it was in. Turns out to be in pretty good mechanical shape - had to replace the kick-out-hole shield on left, tighten up the flippers, and replace a few bulbs, but it seems like the game is mechanically all ok.

The play field is worn a bit: down to wood in the center and the kick-out points; there's some lines (planking?) on the right side of the play field, key lines and inserts are worn.

I'd like to do a light fix to make it presentable, specially the parts worn to the wood. What'd be the easiest approach?

Available to me are some small tubes of acrylic paints available, a small spray paint compressor setup too.

Thanks!

Gulfstream-PlayfieldWorn (resized).jpg
#2 6 days ago

For playfield touch ups, the hardest part is matching the sheen (gloss, semi-gloss, egg shell, flat, etc) of the paint. Some people will use the acrylic craft paints that dry flat and then apply a clear over the touched up area. I've had good results using gloss enamel paints like Testors model paints. These paints seem to match the sheen of the playfield paint very closely. You'll need to experiment with different types of paint to see which one will work best. I'll use a large paint mixing stick to create a swatch to test the paint mixture first, and to see how the touch up paint compares to the original playfield paint. There's a lot of info on playfield touch ups and restoring playfield paint on the Web. Check out Vid's Guide on playfield restorations:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#3 1 day ago

fredsmythson Thanks for the link and suggestions. I decided to try to airbrush the area that was worn down to the wood. I prepped it with melamine foam (magic eraser) and alcohol. Used frisket to mask off a smaller area. Mixing the color did not go well, that is definitely an art I'll have to tune - I'll try again with another coat.

I did run into a complication, the frisket pulled up the old clear coat, so now my beach ball players look like they're sunburn peeling (beach joke, haha). Unfortunately peeled up some other areas too.

Is there some clever way to pull up the clear in a controlled manner, or is this a slog of peeling part by part and laying down a new clear?

Gulfstream-Girl-Peeling (resized).jpgGulfstream-CenterGrid-Peeling (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Multigame
$ 224.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 16.95
$ 115.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 209.99
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside