Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Theonlylilo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi everybody! Few days ago I bought a nice Gorgar.. I started a game hoping to hear the heart beating, but instead of the usual and famous heartbeat, there is a sort of electronic heartbeat (like a duck inside the cab)! And this is absolutely not acceptable... completely changes the game feeling!
So I started to check the first things...
- DS is setted correctly: 1-OFF, 2-ON for speech.
- The self test start correctly. At bench the input section is correct (grounding pin by pin of 10J3)... maybe one sound is quite low compared to the others.
- Driver board is 100% functioning
- During the diagnostic procedures, sounds 09-13 are played correctly
- Function 35 is setted on 01 - Background music ON
I will certainly change capacitors and sockets... but the question is... HOW THE BACKGROUND MUSIC IS GENERATED? How it works? There is no way to test it if not directly during the game?
Thanks to all!
Ciao

#2 1 year ago

Try reseating all plugs on the boards sometimes that will clear up odd issues.

#3 1 year ago

"ME HEART"

Quoted from Theonlylilo:Hi everybody! Few days ago I bought a nice Gorgar.. I started a game hoping to hear the heart beating, but instead of the usual and famous heartbeat, there is a sort of electronic heartbeat (like a duck inside the cab)! And this is absolutely not acceptable... completely changes the game feeling!
So I started to check the first things...
- DS is setted correctly: 1-OFF, 2-ON for speech.
- The self test start correctly. At bench the input section is correct (grounding pin by pin of 10J3)... maybe one sound is quite low compared to the others.
- Driver board is 100% functioning
- During the diagnostic procedures, sounds 09-13 are played correctly
- Function 35 is setted on 01 - Background music ON
I will certainly change capacitors and sockets... but the question is... HOW THE BACKGROUND MUSIC IS GENERATED? How it works? There is no way to test it if not directly during the game?
Thanks to all!
Ciao

#4 1 year ago

If your still having issues after reseating connectors, you may need to replace the 40 pin connector for board to board.

#5 1 year ago

Sorry I can't help, but I do feel your pain. You're absolutely right the heartbeat sets the pace for that game.#no ducks in cab( not a real thing)

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Bigbad:

If your still having issues after reseating connectors, you may need to replace the 40 pin connector for board to board.

Interboard connector has been already replaced. Boards are completely shopped... all but sound board

#7 1 year ago

How does the speech sound? It the speed/tone correct? Does speech test ok in the game test and test on the sound board?

Problem may be on the speech board and not the sound board.

-Hans

#8 1 year ago

I had a Blackout that did a similar thing. All sounds/speech worked in test mode but two of the sounds where wrong when the game played. I swapped out the working sound/speech boards with known good ones and they worked fine in other machines. I had several extra working driver boards to swap with. Two did the same thing but the third one fixed the problem. I know the system 7 driver boards have some differences and I believe system 6 boards are also little different.

Mike V

#9 1 year ago

I can only work on the board tomorrow (I'm away for job), I hope changing sockets and caps could improve this problem.
No problem to mix and match different boards to find the culprit, but about my question... how the background works? Which components are involved to generate the background humming or heartbeat in this case? So I can focus efforts in a specific area

#10 1 year ago

I had a similar problem with the sound on my Gorgar recently, occasionally wouldn't get any sound, and when I did it was more electronic and scratchy. Replaced all the caps on the sound board and that didn't help. Then I replaced the two sockets on the soundboard and now it works like a champ. Definitely recommend replacing them.

#11 1 year ago

So, finally problem solved.
After a complete refurbishing of caps and sockets, the culprit was...
PIA6821!!! Good to know... for the next time
But my question is still open: I would like to know how the background sound is generated. While the sound inputs are easy to check and verify, the background sound is not mentioned on schematics and... how it works? Gurus... where are you?!
Many thanks to everyone!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

PIA6821!!! Good to know... for the next time

Curious, was yours a AMI brand 6821 that failed? the AMI brands have been known to fail all the time.

#13 1 year ago

Yes, it's AMI branded. I know their bad reputation and I always look them with suspicion... but I also have other AMI PIA that work fine.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

But my question is still open: I would like to know how the background sound is generated.

There's no special circuit for the heartbeat, it's likely just a another digitized sound effect with the data in ROM that's sent through the 1408 DAC like other sound effects.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

There's no special circuit for the heartbeat, it's likely just a another digitized sound effect with the data in ROM that's sent through the 1408 DAC like other sound effects.

Thank you Quench... initially my thought was the background was generated when all the sound transistors are grounded.. and the speed was driven by the the cpu 6808. Good t know!
Thanks for the explanation! Very appreciated.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
1,850 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Kingston, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hagerstown, MD
$ 11.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside