(Topic ID: 185254)

WMS Driver board sys 3-7 issue

By Theonlylilo

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170331_202304 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170331_202439 (resized).jpg
    WMS_Driver (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170321_221926 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Theonlylilo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Ciao to everybody!
    I've a problem with a Williams system 3-7 driver board. It has good conditions and I reflow all the connector solder joints, new resistor for the lamp matrix, some TIP102 for solenoids and a new interboard connector... all seems fine once connected to the CPU.
    In fact the test (Leon's rom) doesn't start, both LEDs are lit and remain lit, the CPU is blocked and I cannot test the PIA and all the driver IC. I can't do anything
    (of course with another driver board the test is ok, so it means the problem is in THAT specific driver board).
    Where I can take a look trying to solve this problem?
    Thanks in advance

IMG_20170321_221926 (resized).jpgIMG_20170321_221926 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

New pics as requested..
    It's the first time that I've a similar trouble. In every case I was always able to boot the board in test..
    Do you think is a short or bridge between pads? With multimeter here is ok..
    Could a bad IC or PIA avoid the booting?
    Thanks again
    Ciao
    Loris

IMG_20170331_202439 (resized).jpgIMG_20170331_202439 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170331_202304 (resized).jpgIMG_20170331_202304 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Thanks Andrew for your intervention. So you are telling me that AMI PIAs are awful and must be changed...
    From web guides or your helpinf topics I learned to test PIAs and ICs in test mode with Leon eeprom. In this case I cannot for the matter I've just explained. Is there a method to test at the bench this PIAs or TTL chips without the "shoot in the dark" way?
    Sometimes in my repairs, the driver boots even a PIA (for example) is missing... so I'm asking to you why...
    Have you some suggestion to follow in order to repair this board?
    I have to try to pull out and change the first solenoids PIA and try again...

#7 7 years ago

Hi everybody! Thanks again for your support, especially Andrew for its inputs and suggestions!
    PROBLEM SOLVED! It was the lamp PIA... once changed, the board passes successfully the test! I also changed the two remaining PIAs in order to "bulletproof" the board!
    Thanks!
    Ciao
    Loris

#9 7 years ago

I take note of this hint!!! You're my mentor!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Theonlylilo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-driver-board-sys-3-7-issue?tu=Theonlylilo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.