7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by stangbat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3022[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_3024[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_3028[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_3027[1] (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I've been working on a Black Knight driver board, and Q27 keeps failing, or so I thought. With the transistor removed, resistance from the collector to ground is 17K, while all the others in the string is >95K. I've verified that on other driver boards I have, the resistance for Q27 collector to ground is >95K. Because of this "low" resistance, the multi ball eject solenoid stays energized.

The board is not burned, but it appears the board is a little brownish under Q27, especially between the collector and emitter pads. I suspect this area is the source of my low resistance to ground. Has anyone had an issue like this, and what did you do to fix it? I hate the idea of drilling out circuit board between the pads, since its such a small area, but I don't see any other option.

Another thought was to cut the traces from Q27, select an unused driver transistor such as Q37, Q39, or Q41, and run jumpers to replace Q27 with one of those. Problem with that is now I have a "customized" driver board that is not compatible with anything else. Future techs would have no idea what was going on.

So, if anyone has had a problem like this before, what did you do to fix it? I'm open to ideas. Thanks

#2 7 years ago

Can you provide a photo? You can first try cleaning up any carbon with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip.

#3 7 years ago

Here's a few pics - I've already tried the alcohol route. On the pictures with a light on the other side of the board, its more obvious of the burned area.

IMG_3027[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3027[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_3028[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3028[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_3024[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3024[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_3022[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3022[1] (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

It's an option, what about cutting the traces to the pads, then measuring resistance across the pads to verify that's where the issue is?

#5 7 years ago

SOLVED - I put a meter across the connectors to monitor resistance as I scraped between the emitter and collector solder pads. I used a dental pick (very sharp - I punctured my finger while doing something stupid) and slowly scraped away. With each scrape, the resistance was increasing - I stopped scraping when I got to 100K of resistance. I did not have to dig very deep - I think the issue was just below the surface.

When you look closely, you can see the valley between the pads, but for the most part, I doubt anyone would notice. I am guessing that someone before me changed the transistor, and burned the board. I got this machine as a project, so I had no information concerning its history. I kept changing the transistor because of the low resistance reading, so I probably added to the problem. Regardless, I think BK is ready to fight again!

#6 7 years ago

I've run across this before. When a transistor dies in a blaze of glory it can spread the copper from the traces around and embed it to the point that the PCB is conductive. One System 3-6 driver board was so conductive that I had to remove the PCB material until I could not measure significant continuity and then rebuild the area (read: hole) that I scraped away.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-driver-board-problem-low-resistance-q27c-to-ground and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.