• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0924 (resized).JPG
IMG_2850 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I have just completed a full restoration on a 64 River Boat. Upon start up, the one point drum unit increments 1 point and stays engaged. I have been able to rule out all of the pops including the passive. I know I have stuck switch somewhere trying to score 1 point. I have check all PF switches over and over.

Can there be anything else that might be trying to score 1 point?

#2 6 years ago

You may have bent a terminal under the playfield. Start by narrowing down where the problem is by disconnecting the playfield 1 point wire at the Jones plug.

#3 6 years ago

I re-rubbered a '77 Big Deal and had the same problem. I got some thin cardboard (cereal box type) and put pieces all the way down in the (in my case) 10 point switches. When I started a game, nothing was locked on. I proceeded to pull 1 piece at a time until I found the one that locked on again. The contacts were not touching and I didn't see anything from below. The contact was being made by two blades as they went through the playfield. After a little bit of adjusting, the problem was gone. Just an idea...

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from KevinD:

I re-rubbered a '77 Big Deal and had the same problem. I got some thin cardboard (cereal box type) and put pieces all the way down in the (in my case) 10 point switches. When I started a game, nothing was locked on. I proceeded to pull 1 piece at a time until I found the one that locked on again. The contacts were not touching and I didn't see anything from below. The contact was being made by two blades as they went through the playfield. After a little bit of adjusting, the problem was gone. Just an idea...

I use a method similar to this, the problem was after blocking all PF switches, and hitting the start button, the drum unit was still engaged and scoring the 1 point.

#5 6 years ago

Does the game fully get through its startup? Or is it still trying to find 0?

#6 6 years ago

If the reel is at 0 when you start the game does it happen?

#7 6 years ago

Also check the other ends of the switches where the wires are soldered onto the tabs. Often a stray wire end or a bent tab can make contact there to complete the circuit and not be easily noticed. Similarly, some switches had stiffener blades that could short to the adjacent blade when the contact faces were open and again not be noticed.

Post some pics of the restored game. Riverboat is a great game with a lot going on!

#8 6 years ago

Solder splash on the side of a switch stack will also short a switch closed.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

Does the game fully get through its startup? Or is it still trying to find 0?

The game makes it to full reset. All zeros.

#10 6 years ago

If I plug in the PF jones plug like you see here in the backbox.

IMG_2850 (resized).JPGIMG_2850 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

I am able to test all of the switches. All seem to be working properly and registering their proper targets. The 10, 100, and 1000, reels even score properly. The two 1 point switches you see here (blue dots) are the only ones that seem dead and do nothing, but that may be due to the other jones plug not plugged in.

IMG_0924 (resized).JPGIMG_0924 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

Well if it was me, I would seperate those contacts for those two switches marked in blue and try to plug that jones plug back in.

Also check in the female end of the plug and make sure there is nothing inside causing a short.

#13 6 years ago

Resolved. I de-soldered the two switches in question. Turned out to be the right one. The switch still looks perfectly fine and I cannot see why it is shorting. One of the few PF switches in this machine I did not replace because I thought it looked good. Thanks to all for input.

#14 6 years ago

Nice looking game!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-64-river-boat-i-have-a-stuck-1-point-switch-somewhere and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.