image (resized).jpg
CCA63E7D-8A71-4DBC-8D36-E5FD612EB289 (resized).jpeg
51DF1A84-5AED-4FFF-91CE-BBD215AD6A49 (resized).jpeg
6805D7BB-4CB6-424D-8F6B-492B1630AF24 (resized).jpeg
FA8517B4-4F7B-4D0C-BA2A-07966EE24A93 (resized).jpeg
Pinball (resized).png
Wizard credit button (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Wizard! is set up to accept quarters. No longer accepts them and button on coin door won't start new game. Getting power to the coin door. Manually added games to credit wheel. Game still won't start. Both problems started simultaneously. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Found this cool, color coded schematic on ipdb.org. A big thanks to whomever put that together.

Wizard credit button (resized).jpgWizard credit button (resized).jpg

So does the Credit relay not fire when you push the credit button?
This shows that the Credit button should fire the Credit relay through a chain of five switches starting at the bottom/white wire:
- Score motor switch at position 1F
- Reset relay switch
- Credit button switch
- Credit Unit zero position switch
and one of these four switches:
- Coin Unit limit switch (probably the most likely of the four)
- Player Up unit zero switch
- Ball Count unit zero switch
- Game Over relay switch

You should work through this circuit with an alligator clip test lead or a meter to check that each switch is working as it should.

/Mark

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Found this cool, color coded schematic on ipdb.org. A big thanks to whomever put that together.

This shows that the Credit button should fire the Credit relay through a chain of five switches starting at the bottom/white wire:
- Reset relay switch
- Credit button switch
- Game Over relay switch
You should work through this circuit with an alligator clip test lead or a meter to check that each switch is working as it should.
/Mark

I'll start looking into this tomorrow. Thanks Mark

#4 6 years ago

Sorta figured out the problem. Score motor won't turn. Fortunately, I own two Wizards. The one that works will go through one rotation manually, the other won't. Score motor will not turn once I manually activate reset relay. Stays pulled in.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Sorta figured out the problem. Score motor won't turn. Fortunately, I own two Wizards. The one that works will go through one rotation manually, the other won't. Score motor will not turn once I manually activate reset relay. Stays pulled in.

If the score motor doesn't turn when the Reset relay is pulled in, check this circuit.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

10 months later
#6 5 years ago

Finally got serious about getting the Wizard! working. Turns out the issue is in the coin door. Swapped doors with my other Wizard! and machine fired up. I get 55 volts at the start button on the working door and 25 volts on the non working one. Jones plug is clean. What is it?

#7 5 years ago

It's time to use a voltmeter to diagnose where the voltage drop is.

#8 5 years ago

It’s in the coin door. I’m close. Maybe the coin mechs? Seems like left field but I’ll figure it out. Voltmeter is how I traced it to the coin door. I’m guessing the 25 volts going to the non working door is phantom voltage. Put a load on it and it disappears.

#9 5 years ago

The coin switch on the right side (lock side).
It has a NC contact for current to the motor and switches, is used to prevent abuse of the mechanisms.
If you pull it down you will notice that the 3rd coin relay pulls in but the motor will not turn, if you release the switch the motor will turn and give you the credits...

#10 5 years ago

Still working on this Wizard! I didn’t break the wires off the coin switches. Is it that obvious? Ordered a couple sets of alligator clips. Could I just solder the two broken wires to the wire going to NC to get it working? Plan to replace both switches.

FA8517B4-4F7B-4D0C-BA2A-07966EE24A93 (resized).jpegFA8517B4-4F7B-4D0C-BA2A-07966EE24A93 (resized).jpeg6805D7BB-4CB6-424D-8F6B-492B1630AF24 (resized).jpeg6805D7BB-4CB6-424D-8F6B-492B1630AF24 (resized).jpeg

#11 5 years ago

Yes, because the only reason is to prevent it being abused.
Should work fine.

#12 5 years ago

Up and running, just need to order two new coin switches. Thanks for all the help!

51DF1A84-5AED-4FFF-91CE-BBD215AD6A49 (resized).jpeg51DF1A84-5AED-4FFF-91CE-BBD215AD6A49 (resized).jpegCCA63E7D-8A71-4DBC-8D36-E5FD612EB289 (resized).jpegCCA63E7D-8A71-4DBC-8D36-E5FD612EB289 (resized).jpeg

2 years later
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

[quoted image]
- Reset relay switch
- Credit button switch
- Game Over relay switch
/Mark

I have this issue exactly, on the coin unit limit switch - it looks like it's closed in each of the 4 positions. So I tested it in each and an ohmeter shows contact in each. I don't see how it ever didn't. Unless I'm looking at a different switch.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14 2 years ago

The switch is on the wrong side of the peg.
Should be on the other side.
Function is still the same, closed on the first 3 players, open after the 4th player.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-wont-start-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.